• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does bindery tears affect grade?

6 posts in this topic

Have we talked about this before? Specifically, I'm talking about bindery tears on late Silver Age and early Bronze Age books...what's CGC's position? I know Overstreet states that on Golden Age books, a bindery tear of 1/4 is allowable and on later books a bindery tear of 1/16 is allowable in 9.4? confused-smiley-013.gif

Have we talked about this before? Specifically, I'm talking about bindery tears on late Silver Age and early Bronze Age books...what's CGC's position? I know Overstreet states that on Golden Age books, a bindery tear of 1/4 is allowable and on later books a bindery tear of 1/16 is allowable in 9.4? confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe CGC's position mirror's Overstreet's and have seen numerous examples of high grade books with obvious tears. Someone showed a scan just the other day where the tear was obvious (the paper was sticking out) and the book was either a 9.4 or 9.6. Production defect...no big whoop!?!?

That may have been the Conan 24 I showed which was a 9.6 and had two very obvious bindery tears... tongue.gif

I've got two books with bindery tears I'd like to submit: a DC Special No.11 (just bought this weekend. Beautiful book with an Adams cover) and a Batman 237 (Adams Reaper cover).

Just trying to get a guestimate of what to expect. thumbsup2.gif

Cool books...those DC "folded" giants (48/52/64 pagers and "Dollar Comics") are tough to find without the bindery tears, especially the Dollar Comics as the cover stock was a little lighter than the earlier Giants. Anyhowser, I think CGC approaches small bindery tears like that pretty consistently...good luck, let us know how they turn out!

bindery tears vs spine splits what's the difference?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Same as the difference between bends and non-color breaking creases!?!?

Actually, a couple differences come to mind:

1) Spine splits are typically vertically straight up/down the spine while bindery tears are formed by the stress of folding, so the "tear" typically wraps around to the front and/or back;

2) bindery tears are production-related defects, spine splits usually occur post-production;

3) Spine splits are typically much longer, and could affect the entire length of the spine (bindery tears are typically less than 1/4"); and

4) Spine splits are common on books with cream/tan/brittle covers.