• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grading old coloring books

8 posts in this topic

Not exactly a comic book question, but some coloring books are listed in Overstreet, so...

I bought a couple Charlie Chaplin (E.C. Segar) books recently and a couple of the interior pages are colored-in. How is the grade and value of a Platinum or Golden Age coloring book affected if it has been partly colored?

I would think that the value is severely diminished as a result.. especially if the coloring job is sloppy (luckily, mine are nice and neat). However, this book sold for more than guide despite the colored pages: http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=825&Lot_No=42407&src=pr

Any opinions?

I think Superman collectibles cross over into the area of toy collections. Toys are often restored with less effect on the value. This would explain the over guide sell of the Superman Coloring Book. A platinum age book that has been colored in loses value and appeal to comic collectors who want high grade. Since the value of items from that age vary a great deal, you should expect a substantial drop in the final bid if you put it on sale. Segar's work on Popeye is still well known and you might get a crossover. Charlie is pretty well known too. I just wouldn't expect the VF or NM bid.

My worthless opinion anyway.

bb

Not exactly a comic book question, but some coloring books are listed in Overstreet, so...

I bought a couple Charlie Chaplin (E.C. Segar) books recently and a couple of the interior pages are colored-in. How is the grade and value of a Platinum or Golden Age coloring book affected if it has been partly colored?

I would think that the value is severely diminished as a result.. especially if the coloring job is sloppy (luckily, mine are nice and neat). However, this book sold for more than guide despite the colored pages: http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=825&Lot_No=42407&src=pr

Any opinions?

In the same way that I don't mind date stamps or neatly done signatures on a book, I would look at neatly coloured pages as an aspect of provenance. If a book is absolutely pristine, it's because it has been hidden away somewhere and history has passed it by. A little wear here and there means it's travelled through (and not bypassed) time.

This is a page from a coloring book that was illustrated by Alex Schomburg. Should I color the pages or leave sans colors?

bb

1819007345_de663c7335_b.jpg

The Real Life cover reminds of the coloring book art.

3006417622_ef6b57e42b_o.jpg

And another King cover. It is kind of a Halloween or fall related Popeye cover.

3008931096_95260434dd_o.jpg