• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removing tape from Covers

4 posts in this topic

Have a decent looking Avengers #10 that had a piece of tape applied all the way down the spine. Looked like it had been on there for 20 years or so. The spine was fine so I decided to try & remove the tape. Through a combination of Naphtha & Goo Gone, I got the tape off cleanly.

Problem is, the spine still has a tacky feel to it, a very strong tack. I've messed with the book for a month. Going back & applying the Naphtha with a Q-Tip multiple times. Still nothing. I'm very tempted to throw another piece of tape on it so I can at least bag & store it. Any ideas? I figured the hard part would be getting the tape off without ruining the comic, but that was easy compared to getting rid of the remaining tack.

Have a decent looking Avengers #10 that had a piece of tape applied all the way down the spine. Looked like it had been on there for 20 years or so. The spine was fine so I decided to try & remove the tape. Through a combination of Naphtha & Goo Gone, I got the tape off cleanly.

Problem is, the spine still has a tacky feel to it, a very strong tack. I've messed with the book for a month. Going back & applying the Naphtha with a Q-Tip multiple times. Still nothing. I'm very tempted to throw another piece of tape on it so I can at least bag & store it. Any ideas? I figured the hard part would be getting the tape off without ruining the comic, but that was easy compared to getting rid of the remaining tack.

Was it Scotch type tape? If so the Naptha should ultimately remove the tackiness. I tend to shy away from goo-gone for comics due to the oils in it.

Was it Scotch type tape? If so the Naptha should ultimately remove the tackiness. I tend to shy away from goo-gone for comics due to the oils in it.

Yes, it was a scotch type tape. I've applied the Naptha probably 6 or 7 different times after removing the tape initially. If I work it too hard you can see the fibers start to pull on the paper. It really isn't working at all, which is suprising, as the tape was a sticky mess & came off pretty easily.

I haven't tried to soak the whole spine again, like I did when I removed the tape, because then I couldn't go back & work it with the Q-Tip while it is wet. Maybe I'll try just soaking it again.

Yes, it was a scotch type tape. I've applied the Naptha probably 6 or 7 different times after removing the tape initially. If I work it too hard you can see the fibers start to pull on the paper. It really isn't working at all, which is suprising, as the tape was a sticky mess & came off pretty easily.

I haven't tried to soak the whole spine again, like I did when I removed the tape, because then I couldn't go back & work it with the Q-Tip while it is wet. Maybe I'll try just soaking it again.

Actually, you can still work it with a q-tip while it is still wet. Another soaking combined with q-tip may work. But DO wear those gloves and keep the area VERY well ventilated!!!!!!!!