• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrilling Comics with missing corner

43 posts in this topic

Recently a Thrilling Comics #37 was listed on eBay. The book looks great but the bottom right corner of the cover is missing. Doesn't look like a rip but more like someone cut it off. How much do you think CGC would take off from the grade for a missing corner? Looks to be about 1/2 in. by 1 1/4 in.

Overall it IS a very nice looking book. The dust shadow on the book is a bit more than the "minor" they describe, at least IMO. Based on the scan the red is fading. So I am not sure how CGC would perceive the fading and the dust shadow.

But if the fading and dust shadow are perceived as normal (especially for an early 40's book) then there is a possibility it could get a Qualified higher grade.

I was unaware of the fact that a chip off a book could possibly be viewed as qualified... hm

Well, one, it's not a "chip" - it's a piece missing. Two, a piece missing makes the book "incomplete". Three, incomplete books can be given the "qualified" grade. Ergo . . . :grin:

I was unaware of the fact that a chip off a book could possibly be viewed as qualified... hm

Well, one, it's not a "chip" - it's a piece missing. Two, a piece missing makes the book "incomplete". Three, incomplete books can be given the "qualified" grade. Ergo . . . :grin:

Well, Mister D, I do agree with you except for the "incomplete" part. I don't think the missing piece has sufficient impact to "qualify" for Incomplete. But I can see it Qualify-ing!

Well, Mister D, I do agree with you except for the "incomplete" part. I don't think the missing piece has sufficient impact to "qualify" for Incomplete. But I can see it Qualify-ing!

Well, Mister P, I disagree :grin: If they can call a book that's missing a Marvel "Value" Stamp on a non-story page "incomplete", then it is fully within the same logic to call a book with a missing corner piece (of approximately the same size) incomplete as well, n'est-ce pas? hm

Well, Mister P, I disagree :grin: If they can call a book that's missing a Marvel "Value" Stamp on a non-story page "incomplete", then it is fully within the same logic to call a book with a missing corner piece (of approximately the same size) incomplete as well, n'est-ce pas? hm

Well Mister Dee! By that criteria then all those books with Marvel Chipping should be incomplete as well, neh? (And I only say this because there also exist a goodly number of the same books that do not have the chipping.) ;)

As I understand it the "incomplete " notation involves material that is important to the comic that was removed, not damage to a portion of the cover. Unless of course it is a coupon, or pin up that was cut from the cover. :/

Oh wtf do I know, Qualified labels have always mystified me, not to mention driven me batty. :pullhair: But c'mon I think we can agree a missing corner, or Marvel chipping does not an incomplete comic make.

That Thrilling book should be downgraded for the flaw it has. Not given a pass because the rest of the book is very nice.

As I understand it the "incomplete " notation involves material that is important to the comic that was removed, not damage to a portion of the cover. Unless of course it is a coupon, or pin up that was cut from the cover. :/

Oh wtf do I know, Qualified labels have always mystified me, not to mention driven me batty. :pullhair: But c'mon I think we can agree a missing corner, or Marvel chipping does not an incomplete comic make.

That Thrilling book should be downgraded for the flaw it has. Not given a pass because the rest of the book is very nice.

Well, Kenny - look at this book. Say it DID get a Universal VG grade. How would that look compared to OTHER VGs that were really typical of a VG? No comparison and the VG grade would have no reflection of that book's structural and aesthetic qualities. This is why something like Qualified should exist. To break out books that have a single defect that keeps it out of the high grades but is otherwise in such high grade that lumping it in with the rest would give no real indicator of its true grade.

When the first Grading Guide came out I got it and read it and immediately called Gary Carter and said to him "You are saying a name written on the cover is only allowed up VG (I THINK it was VG).

He chewed on that for a few seconds and ultimately agreed there was a problem here. We ended up talking quite a while and I also questioned the purpose of grading - was it to determine a price or to accurately gauge the condition of the book? That book is simply not in VG condition to my eye. Were I still collecting, though, I would love to have all of my VG pre-codes replaced dollar for dollar with one in that condition (with brighter reds, though) and that corner cut.

You betcha!

Oh yeah - Karabuta pork chop, spinach with cream cheese and tarragon, herbed bread dressing made with rehydrated porcini/porcini stock, a light salad with Balsamic Vinegar dressing will soon be attacked! How nice that pork does not have to be cooked to "grey" anymore.

Oh yeah - Karabuta pork chop, spinach with cream cheese and tarragon, herbed bread dressing made with rehydrated porcini/porcini stock, a light salad with Balsamic Vinegar dressing will soon be attacked! How nice that pork does not have to be cooked to "grey" anymore.

Yummy - What time's dinner? :hi:

Well, Kenny - look at this book. Say it DID get a Universal VG grade. How would that look compared to OTHER VGs that were really typical of a VG? No comparison and the VG grade would have no reflection of that book's structural and aesthetic qualities. This is why something like Qualified should exist. To break out books that have a single defect that keeps it out of the high grades but is otherwise in such high grade that lumping it in with the rest would give no real indicator of its true grade.

When the first Grading Guide came out I got it and read it and immediately called Gary Carter and said to him "You are saying a name written on the cover is only allowed up VG (I THINK it was VG).

He chewed on that for a few seconds and ultimately agreed there was a problem here. We ended up talking quite a while and I also questioned the purpose of grading - was it to determine a price or to accurately gauge the condition of the book? That book is simply not in VG condition to my eye. Were I still collecting, though, I would love to have all of my VG pre-codes replaced dollar for dollar with one in that condition (with brighter reds, though) and that corner cut.

You betcha!

Michael,

You and I agree here . . . there is no way this book is a VG. Period. End of discussion. Clearly it is worthy of a qualified grade, perhaps something like oh say, 7.0 (Q) "Big honkin' corner piece missing from front cover" lol

bestest,

David

You betcha!

Michael,

You and I agree here . . . there is no way this book is a VG. Period. End of discussion. Clearly it is worthy of a qualified grade, perhaps something like oh say, 7.0 (Q) "Big honkin' corner piece missing from front cover" lol

bestest,

David

Jeeze? Really "big honkin'"? Not so big at all...hmmm...makes one wonder what big...err... :blush: ... nevermind!

Dinner is in about 12 minutes!

Well, Kenny - look at this book. Say it DID get a Universal VG grade. How would that look compared to OTHER VGs that were really typical of a VG? No comparison and the VG grade would have no reflection of that book's structural and aesthetic qualities.

And this is exactly why the market would bear out how desirable a book like this is, or isn't regardless of grade. It Is a amazing book(albiet a missing corner) and people in the market for a true VG with all it's warts will probably not be around when the final bidding is over on this book and people that want a true 9.0 wont bother with it.

People will probably overpay or underpay for this book accordingly depending on their collecting preference. And be dang happy with the book I might add. (thumbs u

So even though I agree the book deserves a better grade because it IS a fantastic book does not mean it should be given one.

Qualified grades drive me batty, did I mention that already?

btw, rehydrated mushrooms make for a great sauce/stock.

And this is exactly why the market would bear out how desirable a book like this is, or isn't regardless of grade. It Is a amazing book(albiet a missing corner) and people in the market for a true VG with all it's warts will probably not be around when the final bidding is over on this book and people that want a true 9.0 wont bother with it.

This is what always got to me. And I apologize as you know I love you as a wise soul...but it sounds to me like you are in the "grade it for dollars" camp and not the "grade it for real condition" camp. I weep. I both grind and gnash my teeth. You will hear my voice in Ramah, weeping and loud wailing, Povster weeping for the grades, and he did not want to be comforted, for the grades were no more.

Oh yeah! I have dried porcini, mitake, shiitake and hen of the wood in quantity. One of my favorites is a mushroom risotto using the heated hydrating water (filtered) for some of the stock hits. Same with this procini dressing - used the stock and let the bread absorb along with a good chicken stock.

Been getting interested in salt lately. Thus far have a Carmague, Himalayan Pink and that red Hawaiian with clay. Ilike the Carmargue for general salting. The Himalayan is a nice finishing salt for more delictae dishes and the Hawaiian red I have been using with some success on roasted vegetables. If I am needing to salt water or meat before cooking just a simple (no additive) Sea Salt But I find finishing salts a very interesting area to explore!