• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrilling Comics with missing corner

43 posts in this topic

And this is exactly why the market would bear out how desirable a book like this is, or isn't regardless of grade. It Is a amazing book(albiet a missing corner) and people in the market for a true VG with all it's warts will probably not be around when the final bidding is over on this book and people that want a true 9.0 wont bother with it.

This is what always got to me. And I apologize as you know I love you as a wise sould...but it sounds to me like you are in the "grade it for dollars" camp and not the "grade it for real condition" camp. I weep. I both grind and gnash my teeth. You will hear my voice in Ramah, weeping and loud wailing, Povster weeping for the grades, and he did not want to be comforted, for the grades were no more.

Oh yeah1 I have dried porcini, mitake, shiitake and hen of the wood in quantity. One of my favorites is a mushroom risotto using the heated hydrating water (filtered) for some of the stock hits. Same with this procini dressing - used the stock and let the bread absorb along with a good chicken stock.

Been getting interested in salt lately. Thus far have a Carmague, Himalayan Pink and that red Hawaiian with clay. Ilike the Carmargue for general salting. The Himalayan is a nice finishing salt for more delictae dishes and the Hawaiian red I have been using with some success on roasted vegetables. If I am needing to salt water or meat before cooking just a simple (no additive) Sea Salt But I fnid finishing salts a very interesting area to explore!

:pullhair:

I am in the exact opposite camp Micheal, :makepoint: I want the book graded for what it is and let the chips fall where they may. Instead of foisting an inflated grade on the book that removes the flaw from the equation. Grade the book as it sits and let people decide its worth. It might not be as attractive to sell but it's fair. (thumbs u

And salt..yeah, they make a difference. The key to salt is not every bite has it as you said.. a finishing salt is what makes fresh food come alive. As opposed to oversalted food which tastes, well salty.

And I love you too you in a manly viking way of course you old coot.

Night, enjoy that dinner.

:pullhair:

I am in the exact opposite camp Micheal, :makepoint: I want the book graded for what it is and let the chips fall where they may. Instead of foisting an infltated grade on the book that removes the flaw from the equation.

And salt..yeah, they make a difference. The key to salt is not every bite has it as you said.. a finishing salt is what makes fresh food come alive. As opposed to oversalted food which tastes, well salty.

And I love you too you in a manly viking way of course you old coot

I too would pull my hair but there is little to pull! So a serious quesiton: what do you mean by a book "graded for what it is"?

Is this Thrilling 37 truly a VG to you? How can a book with so little wear, such a clean spine, so few color breaking creases (actually could not see any in the original), no folds, flat and tight, etc etc - because of a small piece out of the LRC which impacts nothing except the fact it is missing - seriously - hjow can you equate that to the VG standard. I really do not get it.

Yes, the market will determine the PRICE. But if this is a true VG book then hit me with a stick and call me Heywood!

::edit:: I recently got a pound of dried porcini (humngous amount) for $37.55 with shipping. They were, granted, A-B but the proportion of cap to stem was impressive. And no holed pieces or dust. Will last quite a while!

Seriously? I woud peg it around a 6.0 /6.5 regardless of what is or isnt allowed in that grade. Thats whats great about grading, it's subjective!

VG is way too harsh imho, No ugly sticks will be needed Heywood!

Seriously? I woud peg it around a 6.0 /6.5 regardless of what is or isnt allowed in that grade. Thats whats great about grading, it's subjective!

VG is way too harsh imho. No ugly sticks will be needed.

doh! But VG has been proferred here due to the cut cover.

Now please - in all seriousness - what do you see that is putting it in the 6.0/6.5 range (and I actually have to look up these stupid numbers because I still adhere to "alpha grades and *spoon* the numeric grades" - hold - looking it up - http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/grading.asp - what do you see here [putting it in the F - F+ but not over? Really interested in what you're seeing.

As an aside - I hear a lot about Panko bread crumbs but was dissapointed a BIT in them. Just something too "unquent" about them. I will stick to my self-dried breads processed in the food processor.

Now please - in all seriousness - what do you see that is putting it in the 6.0/6.5 range (and I actually have to look up these stupid numbers because I still adhere to "alpha grades and *spoon* the numeric grades" - hold - looking it up - http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/grading.asp - what do you see here [putting it in the F - F+ but not over? Really interested in what you're seeing.

As an aside - I hear a lot about Panko bread crumbs but was dissapointed a BIT in them. Just something too "unquent" about them. I will stick to my self-dried breads processed in the food processor.

It's missing the entire lower corner? (shrug) 7.0 tops no matter the rest of the book. Dont let the 7.0 mislead you into thinking the rest of the book is not what it is, but rather that flaw brings it down to that no matter how I try and spin it. Its not a bad thing.

I tried to tell you qualified grades drive me batty.. yet here I am banging my head against a wall, again.

And Panko is great mixed with bread crumbs and seasoned flour. (equal parts, ok a little less flour you specific dweeb) Also break them up a bit if you want them less jagged.

Night again, I gotta switch blotters

It's missing the entire lower corner? (shrug) 7.0 tops no matter the rest of the book. Dont let the 7.0 mislead you into thinking the rest of the book is not what it is, but rather that flaw brings it down to that no matter how I try and spin it. Its not a bad thing.

I tried to tell you qualified grades drive me batty.. yet here I am banging my head against a wall, again.

And Panko is great mixed with bread crumbs and seasoned flour. (equal parts you specific dweeb) Also break them up a bit if you want them less jagged.

You say "It's missing the entire lower corner?" Dang - you see? THIS is exactly what the Qualified means. (Also - to add to your add - what do you mean "entire" lower corner? One could just t-square at 90 degrees 1/4" off the lower corner and you could say "it's missing the entire lower corner". (Props for using "it's". But still...) You shouldn't ignore the rest of the book due to a single defect. You grade the book before the defect, put it in a GREEN (which will turn off many collectors as it does not match with the Universal Blue) and let the chips fall. The Green label is certainly enough to bring attention to the defect. Qualified simply means, and I know you know this, that if it were NOT for a single defect, which we will plainly state on the label, the book would otherwise be 8.5 or 9.0 or 9.2 or whatever.

As someone who was into restoration for many eyars and spent a lot on resto equipment and supplies, I have to applaud this concept. If the books is CGC graded the Green label would certainly set off alarms.

But even if it gleaned a Blue label Fine - F+ I have to say this book, aside from the corner piece missing, wipes out the usual F-F+. That is what Q is all about!

Hmmm - can I offer any more food thing? Thinking...thinking...oh yeah1 There is a local Olive Oil company - Stonehouse - they offer a couple of Extra Virgin Olive Oils (and a few "flavored with herbs etc I avoid) for around $14/16.9 ounce. Really excellent oil. Nice thing is they knock off $3 if you bring the original bottle back for a refill. They'll even clean it for you if needed.

Bad thing is they use clear bottles, so I cannot proudly display them in my glass-fronted kitchen cabi8net. So I store them in my wodd door kitchen cabinet. But they are really excellent and help me fulfill the "locally produced" copncept so important to Italian cuisine. :)

And Panko is great mixed with bread crumbs and seasoned flour. (equal parts, ok a little less flour you specific dweeb) Also break them up a bit if you want them less jagged.

Nice to see you're finally coming around . . . :baiting: Trouble is, Kenny, you're always thinking of, "What would CGC do?" Whereas . . . I would only grade and sell a book like this raw "to realize its full potential." :grin:

Oh yeah! I have dried porcini, mitake, shiitake and hen of the wood in quantity. One of my favorites is a mushroom risotto using the heated hydrating water (filtered) for some of the stock hits. Same with this procini dressing - used the stock and let the bread absorb along with a good chicken stock.

btw, if you are interested in collecting some real live porcini, cepes, Boletus edulis etc., you should look me up :)

Nice to see you're finally coming around . . . :baiting: Trouble is, Kenny, you're always thinking of, "What would CGC do?" Whereas . . . I would only grade and sell a book like this raw "to realize its full potential." :grin:

Actually, mister Deev - this is way before CGC - look at the old ads that would say "Spine split otherwise near mint" etc. It is not a new concept at all...at all...at all.

And Panko is great mixed with bread crumbs and seasoned flour. (equal parts you specific dweeb) Also break them up a bit if you want them less jagged.

You say "It's missing the entire lower corner?" Dang - you see? THIS is exactly what the Qualified means. (Also - to add to your add - what do you mean "entire" lower corner? One could just t-square at 90 degrees 1/4" off the lower corner and you could say "it's missing the entire lower corner". (Props for using "it's". But still...) You shouldn't ignore the rest of the book due to a single defect. You grade the book before the defect, put it in a GREEN (which will turn off many collectors as it does not match with the Universal Blue) and let the chips fall. The Green label is certainly enough to bring attention to the defect. Qualified simply means, and I know you know this, that if it were NOT for a single defect, which we will plainly state on the label, the book would otherwise be 8.5 or 9.0 or 9.2 or whatever.

As someone who was into restoration for many eyars and spent a lot on resto equipment and supplies, I have to applaud this concept. If the books is CGC graded the Green label would certainly set off alarms.

But even if it gleaned a Blue label Fine - F+ I have to say this book, aside from the corner piece missing, wipes out the usual F-F+. That is what Q is all about!

Then we will just have to disagree Pov.

I always viewed the Qualified label as a way to not punish HG books with specific flaws in hopes they would sell better regardless of the color of the label. Not to say it is not without merit, but I just hate to see a book with a major flaw get a qualified grade. I would just prefer it be downgraded accordingly and let the buyer decide because they know what it is they are looking at. I now see you thought I was talking about blue vs green labels when in reality I was just offering my opinion about the book posted in this thread, and how I would grade it regardless of CGC.

I think I will just stick to working more and posting less! :hi:

Night, hope the pork was not dry.

Then we will just have to disagree Pov.

I always viewed the Qualified label as a way to not punish HG books with specific flaws in hopes they would sell better regardless of the color of the label. Not to say it is not without merit, but I just hate to see a book with a major flaw get a qualified grade. I would just prefer it be downgraded accordingly and let the buyer decide because they know what it is they are looking at. I now see you thought I was talking about blue vs green labels when in reality I was just offering my opinion about the book posted in this thread, and how I would grade it regardless of CGC.

I think I will just stick to working more and posting less! :hi:

Night, hope the pork was not dry.

First don't you DARE take a Pov FDQ thing after encouraging me to come back to the resto front! Don't you DARE!!!!! (dagnabbit)

I recounted my story about my chat with Gary Carter for a reason - that this was way before CGC (80's). I simply could not reconcile an otherwise HG book with beautiful spine, flatness, lack of creases etc being mixed in with books that allowed an accumulation of these defects due to one flaw that was "not allowed in grades above xyz." It did not make sense to me, nor does it now. I really did not think you were basing what you said on CGC.

I was, prior to CGC and Qualified, a fan of the concept of "NM except for a spine split" or "VF+ except for a name on the cover." I felt it gave a much more accurate image of the book's true condition.

Regardless - as I say - I don;t take it personally as I am not a comic book!

PS - dinner was fine but a bit too much so I have a nice lunch tomorrow!

Oh yeah! I have dried porcini, mitake, shiitake and hen of the wood in quantity. One of my favorites is a mushroom risotto using the heated hydrating water (filtered) for some of the stock hits. Same with this procini dressing - used the stock and let the bread absorb along with a good chicken stock.

btw, if you are interested in collecting some real live porcini, cepes, Boletus edulis etc., you should look me up :)

Hey! Live porcini? Sure - count me in!

I was addressing Kenny, my dear ol' man . . . now how about that mushroom fory? Up to it? hm

Hey, count me in too. I love mushrooms but don't know anything about how to find the safe ones in the wild.

Wow, thanks for all the replys. It's given me some insight into how the facts that may go into grading a book. I think I'll make a decent bid on it and maybe send it in for grading just to see what happens with it. If that all happens I'll make a post with the results. Best2u

First don't you DARE take a Pov FDQ thing after encouraging me to come back to the resto front! Don't you DARE!!!!! (dagnabbit)

I was just talking about last night ya long eared galoot!

:makepoint:

Now go pick your mushrooms!

I agree about everyone dis agreeing about this agreement. Furthermore, I agree that this dis agreement is agreeing with some who tend to dis agree about it. But I can see why some agree about the agreement in general about dis agreeing. Hence, I agree to dis agree sometime. But I dis agree about agreeing all of the time, and vice versa of course.

Let me know if you agree or dis agree with this post. I'm keeping track of it all. I don't want to get into any dis agreement about my agreements or dis agreements about this post. :acclaim::kidaround::roflmao:

If this post is brought to the attention of the mod's... I would dis agree about them being notified.... (:

I agree about everyone dis agreeing about this agreement. Furthermore, I agree that this dis agreement is agreeing with some who tend to dis agree about it. But I can see why some agree about the agreement in general about dis agreeing. Hence, I agree to dis agree sometime. But I dis agree about agreeing all of the time, and vice versa of course.

Let me know if you agree or dis agree with this post. I'm keeping track of it all. I don't want to get into any dis agreement about my agreements or dis agreements about this post. :acclaim::kidaround::roflmao:

If this post is brought to the attention of the mod's... I would dis agree about them being notified.... (:

I rspectfully disagree. "About what? I have no idea!"

I was addressing Kenny, my dear ol' man . . . now how about that mushroom fory? Up to it? hm

Hey, count me in too. I love mushrooms but don't know anything about how to find the safe ones in the wild.

Why don't the three of us get together for a mushroom foray this weekend??? Easy would be GG Park (less rewarding) Ideal for Porcini would be Salt Point (long drive) Any favorite hiking spots in between? Not Tam though, it's not a shroomie park . . . :)