• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 12 Dumbest Spider-Man Stories Ever (Besides the Clone Saga)

37 posts in this topic

lol This is a section about Maximum Carnage:

"Venom wants to team-up with Spider-man, who’s also gone home, and Spidey goes to ask the Black Cat (sure, whatever) for advice. She teams up with Spidey, and the two team up with Venom. Christ, this is like reading about a bunch of nine-year-olds trying to start a baseball team."

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2008/11/the_12_dumbest_spiderman_stories_ever_besides_the.php

The 12 Dumbest Spider-Man Stories Ever (Besides the Clone Saga)

Posted at 5:01 AM Nov 05, 2008

By Alicia Ashby

Fair warning: if your idea of a bad Spider-man story is when he fights a silly villain like the Hypno-Hustler, then the mess on this list is going to set your eyebrows on fire. This is a hardcore, no-holds-barred look at the absolute worst of the worst of Spider-man, and as you’ll see, the ‘80s and ‘90s and beyond let Spider-man comics get pretty terrible. For all that Spider-man is one of the world’s most popular superheroes thanks to his combination of cool powers and everyday problems, a really bad Spider-man story is about as bad as superhero comics can get (well, until Chuck Austen is writing them). Be forewarned and forearmed with knowledge to avoid accidentally trying to read mess that will never, ever entertain you in a non-ironic way.

12) Spider-man Kills Mary Jane with his Radioactive Semen, Spider-man: Reign

11) Peter Parker’s Parents Are Actually Evil Robots Programmed to Kill Spider-man, Amazing Spider-man #386-88

10) Curt Conners Is an individual_without_enough_empathy, Spectacular Spider-man #11-13

9) Spidey Meets the Amazing Redneck/Trucker Superhero Razorback, Spectacular Spider-man #12-15

8) Gwen Stacy Norman Osborn in the ‘70s, and Had Super-Aging Superpowered Kids, Amazing Spider-man #509-514

7) John Byrne Takes a Dump on Amazing Spider-man #1-19, Spider-man: Chapter One

6) The Hobgoblin Is Revealed to be Dead and Somebody Else, Amazing Spider-man #289 and Web of Spider-man #29

5) Spider-man Sells His Pregnant Supermodel Wife to the Devil, Spider-man: One More Day

4) Norman Osborn Becomes Magic, The Gathering of Five

3) Spider-man Mutates Into a Giant Pregnant Spider, Spectacular Spider-man #17–20

2) Aunt May Is Alive and Immediately Dying Again, The Final Chapter

1) Maximum Carnage, Maximum Carnage

Maximum Carnage ruled!!!

I stopped collecting Spidey during the "parents/RedSkull" storyline. Most of what was listed above I have no knowledge of, and feel that I'm better off.

Unfortunately I suffered through the Maximum Carnage storyline and sadly bought many extra copies off the shelf :( .

:o The "Peter's Parents were spies for the US and pretended to work for Red Skull is probably my favorite Spidey issue.

If they came up with it in the 80's or 90's, there's no way you'd tolerate it.

But that's the whole point, it was the 70's and the writer's played it tongue-in-cheek.

I thought it was totally idiotic that Spidey would drive a car on street level, but the "Torch gives driving lessons" and "Tinkerer turns car evil" parts were classics.

I quit buying Spider-Man after the Straczynski "Sins Past" storyline. Over forty years of faithfully buying ASM; even thru the Clone Saga and other dumb stuff, that was it for me. I will not buy or watch anything Straczynski does (yeah, I know that’s extreme).

Oh, and I think the "Spider-Man shrugged" scene in ASM #33 is the pinnacle of Ditko's Spidey. It was the complete maturation of the character.

Though I never read the recent ‘One More Day’ storyline, I have read a lot of disturbing comments where posters (on other forums, I believe?) talk about Peter’s sacrificing his relationship with his hot, “supermodel” wife for his “old-bag” Aunt May. While the dealing with the devil aspect of the story is awful, anyone who has cared for aged parents or very sick relatives knows what a wonderfully life-affirming experience this can be, despite the tragedy. Peter Parker’s continued love and self-sacrifice for his Aunt May represents everything that is truly noble and good about Peter. That aspect is what makes him a hero, not some silly spider-powers. At least that’s why I followed his adventures for more than 40 years. Aunt May is one of the most beautiful characters in comics.

How about every single issue since the ONE NEW DAY BS STARTED!

When will Marvel kill title, revamp with another #1 issue and make it all a bad dream or the work of skrulls.

The original Clone Saga rocked, and I can remember those being some of my favorite books. Along with Starlin's Captain Marvel, I couldn't believe this kind of mind-bending stuff was being printed in comics, and it was pretty deep for a kid to digest.

If they came up with it in the 80's or 90's, there's no way you'd tolerate it.

But that's the whole point, it was the 70's and the writer's played it tongue-in-cheek.

I thought it was totally idiotic that Spidey would drive a car on street level, but the "Torch gives driving lessons" and "Tinkerer turns car evil" parts were classics.

Gotta agree. 130 was a fun issue. Always liked the relationship between Spidey & the torch.

I had a subscription to ASM from around 1980-1983. I remember even at the time thinking how idiotic HydroMan was from issue #211 or so.

I loved the original clone saga. :cloud9:

I think the "Fusion" issue was the first comic I ever received as a subscriber.

lol

I had a subscription to ASM from around 1980-1983. I remember even at the time thinking how idiotic HydroMan was from issue #211 or so.

I loved the original clone saga. :cloud9:

I think the "Fusion" issue was the first comic I ever received as a subscriber.

lol

Mud-thing :cloud9:

I love that arc when I was a kid..... (shrug)

1000ASM217.jpg

9) Spidey Meets the Amazing Redneck/Trucker Superhero Razorback, Spectacular Spider-man #12-15

This falls into the "it's so bad it's good" category.

Razorback rocks! :headbang:

I'm with you on this one! (thumbs u

Razorback was pretty campy, but I thought that storyline was a fun read.

Decided to revive this after reading, what may not be the dumbest but was one of the worst spider-man stories i've ever read: hooky. who thought that woman could write? a nice wrightson cover and a sweet final page splash w/ an abysmal "story" in between.