• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey 14 crash coming???

120 posts in this topic

Who that reads these boards and has any serious money needs your advice? Anyone with the money to seriously invest in comics, stocks, land etc probably has an accountant and financial advisor.

C - this must obviously refer to you the only "lawyer" I have ever heard of who can't scrounge up $2K for a book with 3 months lay away. You see, that's the best part of the internet - phonies like you get to hide behind your keyboard with no accountability.

And nobody on here giving advice like yours has any real in- depth experience with the expensive, old book market. You relate anecdotes you have read about other collectibles and articles in papers but you have no real experience or personal knowledge.

Here's a hint for you - if you look real close in this months wizard they have an entire boxed blurb about a Gene Park NYC investment banker who paid "in the healthy five digits" for the art to GI Joe 21. If wizard isn't good enough for you, Scoop and CBG covered the story and you can call Metro as well to confirm the sale (don't worry - they have a toll free number). In the high grade cgc market, why don't you ask Comgeek where Gene got his GS 1 cgc 9.6?

What about you? How does your experience compare? Can you back it up with facts?

Your advice is nothing more than chest thumping - a cry for attention. "Look at me - I am so smart, let me tell you all about it." Let me give you some free advice - free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. Especially from folks who have very little personal knowldege on the subject in which they profess to be expert.

So does this mean I can't run my legal inquiries by you? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Thanks for the support, Dave, but CT only makes googly-eyes at BSDs who spend multiple 5 or 6 figures on overpriced SA to early Bronze Age stuff. I don't think he's going to be fazed by G.I. Joe art or Bronze keys that are chump change to his BSD idols.

His whole outlook is laughable. What is it that me and J_C don't know much about? Comics? The guy has no idea what I know about comics, who I know in the hobby, what I own, how much I spend or even apparently how long I've been collecting. In CT's eyes, there are only admirable BSDs above him while everyone else is a worthless POS below him. Heaven forbid that you should possess a sharp wit or be able to string together an intelligent argument or be pumped up like Ahh-nold or have an Ivy League degree or a nice plasma TV or a pretty girlfriend or buy some expensive comic or artwork or real estate or take a fancy vacation (note: I am not necessarily referring to myself here, but rather characteristics/comments that various people have made which subsequently incurred the wrath of CT). No, that would be encroaching upon CT's station in life! Among the non-BSDs and BSD-wannabes, he's gotta be the undisputed king. I guess it makes him feel better to think that MajorKhaos and DAM60 are young punks with no money and that J_C and Hammer aren't really smarter than him and that Murph is just a spoiled rich kid and that I'm an overeducated glory-hound. What a joke.

Gene

"What about you? How does your experience compare? Can you back it up with facts?"

Not that Clobber needs me to defend him, but he buys TONS AND TONS of high grade, high $$$ Marvels on Ebay. So before you go blasting someone, check your facts.... and just because Gene bought (and overpaid IMO, sorry Gene) for some art from a hack artist, does not make him an expert.

"Heaven forbid that you should possess a sharp wit or be able to string together an intelligent argument or have an Ivy League degree or a nice plasma TV or a pretty girlfriend or buy some expensive comic or artwork or real estate or take a fancy vacation"

This I think is the reason some people have a problem with you. No one cares what you have or what you don't have. Why do you need to brag to a group of faceless comic geeks on the net???

Not that Clobber needs me to defend him, but he buys TONS AND TONS of high grade, high $$$ Marvels on Ebay.

I don't care what CT spends or overspends on books...it's quite clear from his posts that he's got plenty of insecurities about what other people own, know and do. I love how he always tries to insinuate to others that I'm a newbie pauper who likes cheap Bronze and Modern books and talks out of my 893censored-thumb.gif about things that are out of my league. What a joke.

and just because Gene bought (and overpaid IMO, sorry Gene) for some art from a hack artist, does not make him an expert.

First of all, to characterize the art as "some art from a hack artist" shows how much you know. Do you think this artwork is valuable because of Larry Hama alone? That's like saying Hulk #181's value is derived from the fact that Herb Trimpe drew it. Second, how can I have overpaid if I can immediately turn around and sell it for a profit? Third, no one is saying that buying one expensive collectible makes you an expert - the fact is, I've been collecting for over 20 years and know a lot more than CT has any clue about. He'd like people to believe that I'm some smarmy New York cultural elitist who doesn't know the first thing about anything outside of a textbook, let alone about comics. I'm tired of his cheap shots, envy and spite masquerading as self-deprecation.

This I think is the reason some people have a problem with you. Why do you need to brag to a group of faceless comic geeks on the net???

You and he think what I've been doing is bragging? Don't make me laugh. Maybe it sounds like bragging to someone with very low standards and expectations about people or someone who's hypersensitive about his own insecurities. And BTW, that list of items I cited was not about me exclusively but were rather traits/things that CT has attacked regarding various Board members. That you assumed I was bragging about these things might tell you something about your own skewed perspective.

Gene

I don't care what CT spends or overspends on books...it's quite clear from his posts that he's got plenty of insecurities about what other people own, know and do. I love how he always tries to insinuate to others that I'm a newbie pauper who likes cheap Bronze and Modern books and talks out of my 893censored-thumb.gif about things that are out of my league. What a joke.

First of all, that post was directed @DAM. You may not care what Clobber spends, but Dam sure seems to.....

First of all, to characterize the art as "some art from a hack artist" shows how much you know. Second, how can I have overpaid if I can immediately turn around and sell it for a profit? Third, no one is saying that buying one expensive collectible makes you an expert - the fact is, I've been collecting for over 20 years and know a lot more than CT has any clue about. He'd like people to believe that I'm some smarmy New York cultural elitist who doesn't know the first thing about anything outside of a textbook, let alone about comics. I'm tired of his cheap shots, envy and spite masquerading as self-deprecation.

Sorry to break the news to you, but Hama is a hack, period. His art is mediocre at best, and his writing just as bad. His writing on Wolverine drove the book into the ground. Of course this is just my opinion, but you would be hard pressed to find an art collector who is into Hama. By the way before you ask, yes I have collected original art in the past, but lost interest (I have some Byrne art posted in the art appreciation thread), and once again the post was directed at DAM who did imply you were an expert based on your highly publicized GI Joe purchase.

You and he think what I've been doing is bragging? Don't make me laugh. Maybe it sounds like bragging to someone with very low standards and expectations about people or someone who's hypersensitive about his own insecurities. And BTW, that list of items I cited was not about me exclusively but were rather traits/things that CT has attacked regarding various Board members. That you assumed I was bragging about these things might tell you something about your own skewed perspective.

Gene

Since I have not gone back and read every single post Clobber has made, I assumed you were talking about yourself. Was I wrong to assume that? Based on some of your posts I've read, I don't think I was.

Well having been out, I have returned to find myself so wrongfully assailed. Has no one been able to find the moderator button? Anyway, I have decided to take the high road and not continue to respond to the petty, incoherent babblings of the crash cult know it alls. But i did find a few things to be pretty funny. First I had no idea that you ivy league pansies were so sensitive. You really take your selves way too serious. Next, I had no idea that Eugene had been mentioned in the highly renowned Wizard! I probably did not know since I have not seen one in about 4 years - but i understand that all the big time collectors and investors watch it carefully and believe it to be the gospel. I bet he walks around with one tucked in his brief case so he can show everybody. Or maybe Dam he is probably behind him ( carrying his coat tails) carries it for him! I had no idea GI Joe art was worth anything - i barely knew he had a comic. Had Eugene consulted with me prior to the purchase though I would have advised to buy art like I own by guys named Kirby and Ditko. But i understand he bought GI because that's who he likes. Anyway, I promise not to taunt you ladies any more since it gets you all riled up so bad.

I knew you wouldn't be able to contain yourself. I really have never seen so much media attention around an art purchase before (if you consider Wizard and CBG media). And with Gene posting about it here, (with pictures, no less), all the attention should be good for future returns on his investment. But then again we all know that Gene would NEVER invest in comics or comic art. That would be stupid.

It got a lot of media play because of the fact that it was a fairly modern book. And it was one of those characters that Wizard loves to play up. Not to mention it was a complete issue, which definately isn't easy to find.

I would agree that he paid too much, but obviously it means something to him. And it's his money to spend, so whether or not I think he made a good buy is really of no concern.

Brian

It got a lot of media play because of the fact that it was a fairly modern book. And it was one of those characters that Wizard loves to play up. Not to mention it was a complete issue, which definately isn't easy to find.

I would agree that he paid too much, but obviously it means something to him. And it's his money to spend, so whether or not I think he made a good buy is really of no concern.

Brian

There was one collector who bought every Perez Avengers book complete, and another who bought every cover. Never read that in CBG or Wizard. But I do think it is a tad hypocritical to blast anyone who invests in comics when it is clear Gene is doing just that.

There was one collector who bought every Perez Avengers book complete, and another who bought every cover. Never read that in CBG or Wizard.

The difference is, no matter how you or I view it, that GI Joe issue is a Modern Key/Semi-Key issue.

If someone had purchased the entire artwork to Astonishing Tales 25 (1st Perez/Deathlok) then I think we might hear about it, assuming the buyer was open to the attention.