• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jay Parrino's website updated...finally!

30 posts in this topic

At least 50 mil, yeah. I read a 100mil estimate somewhere so 50 is probably conservative. Scary, huh? insane.gif

At 20,000 books, 50 mil would be "only" $2,500 each, which is probably understating matters if you counsider just how many $50K books there would be in that lot!

Dan

As much as I don't understand the appeal of coins, I understand the appeal of currency even less. The only piece of currency that is remotely interesting are those $10,000 bills from Vegas.

There is some awesome currency out there! Check out the CGA auctions, and go to the highest priced items. Some beautiful stuff!!

Did you hear about those $10,000 bills from the NGC materials that get sent to you when you sign up for the collector's society? That "nusimatist" magazine had pictures of the $1,000,000 in $10,000 bills that is on display at Binion's Horseshoe. Same place that holds the World Series of Poker! cool.gif

Yeah, that's a crazy pic. It's featured in one of the Catalogues. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I think the currency is fascinating to look at. For all our lifetimes, until just recently, we have all used the very same money...no change in design or denomination.

But looking through these catelogues you see the tremendous variety that used to exist, and some of the early designs are off the wall! As well as the wacky huge denomnations. Think about it:they exist up to what $10000, but when was the last time you saw anything over a hindred??

IMO As comics collectors it a small leap to this other established paper collectible..

Yeah it's funny, 2 years ago Parrino had the Captain America #10 8.0 Crowley copy and wanted $8000 (1.9 NM guide) for it, yet I just got it in the Heritage auction last weekend for $2990 (.53 of NM guide) (juice included) and I know he was the consignor. Big price difference! smile.gif

I just looked up the price Parrino paid for the CA#10. On 10/21/2000 Parrino bought the book from the Greg Manning Auction and paid $5462! So he lists it in his catalogs for $8000 and sells it through Heritage years later at a loss. My winning bid was $2600 ($2990 with the juice). Even if he struck a deal with Heritage to get full hammer price he took a 53% loss on the book, that's gotta hurt!

I wonder if Parrino is as big of a heavy-hitter in the coin world as he is in the comic world?!?

Parrino indicated to me the comics he was buying was a drop-in-the-bucket for him compared to his coin dealing.

Timely

Yeah it's funny, 2 years ago Parrino had the Captain America #10 8.0 Crowley copy and wanted $8000 (1.9 NM guide) for it, yet I just got it in the Heritage auction last weekend for $2990 (.53 of NM guide) (juice included) and I know he was the consignor. Big price difference! smile.gif

I just looked up the price Parrino paid for the CA#10. On 10/21/2000 Parrino bought the book from the Greg Manning Auction and paid $5462! So he lists it in his catalogs for $8000 and sells it through Heritage years later at a loss. My winning bid was $2600 ($2990 with the juice). Even if he struck a deal with Heritage to get full hammer price he took a 53% loss on the book, that's gotta hurt!

I wonder if Parrino is as big of a heavy-hitter in the coin world as he is in the comic world?!?

Parrino indicated to me the comics he was buying was a drop-in-the-bucket for him compared to his coin dealing.

Timely

He's sold multi-millionaire dollar coins in the past! 893whatthe.gif