• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underrated characters of the Copper Age

63 posts in this topic

MS.TREE,GROO,DREADSTAR and the NEW MUTANTS.

I think Groo had his day in the sun - I wouldn't call him underrated.

But you don't hear about him much anymore, so I would consider him underrated now.

He'd be a pretty good comic for some pre-teens/early teens as a jump-on book and beyond.

I'm amazed at how little appreciation there is for the Elementals. Back in the 80's I thought it was better than the stuff the big 2 were putting out..

Elementals was fantastic! Glad Bill Willingham's career is going strong again!

I'm amazed at how little appreciation there is for the Elementals. Back in the 80's I thought it was better than the stuff the big 2 were putting out..

Yeah, it's like Willingham's third act. 1st he was the "Good AD&D artist"

Yeah, it's like Willingham's third act. 1st he was the "Good AD&D artist"

I liked Erol Otus, too, Matthew!

Underrated character of the Copper Age?

Nexus :sumo:

Horatio Hellpop?! :roflmao:

Kreed and Sinclaire will make ya pay for that! (tsk)

Nexus2-44.jpg

this issue is seriously like the best comic book ever made.

Glad I'm not the only one who likes it Matt!

The follow-up story in issue 51, "Kreed's Arm" is another great read.

Have you tried to hunt down a high-grade copy of their 1st appearance (Justice Machine Annual 1)? It's one of the tougher copper age independent books to find a decent copy because when the series disappeared, so went the interest. It took purchasing 11 copies before I found a 9.6 grade. Oddly enough, when I turned to the Elementals intro story, the writer had signed the splash page. What a win!

MS.TREE,GROO,DREADSTAR and the NEW MUTANTS.

I think Groo had his day in the sun - I wouldn't call him underrated.

But you don't hear about him much anymore, so I would consider him underrated now.

He'd be a pretty good comic for some pre-teens/early teens as a jump-on book and beyond.

Underrated as a character, but try and purchase a Groo 1st appearance in 9.8 (when you can find them). Easily over $100, and some sales have come closer to $200 for a CGC 9.8 copy. Would be nice to see a strong independent pick it up, and not Marvel.

mr monster was/is brilliant! i still am trying to get all the books and horror reprints when i see them i think adam hughes could do rocketeer justice, but thats justy opinion

Vanguard Illustrated 7 (1st modern MR Monster) is still one of those great covers, though being heavily black on the background it ends up scuffing easily. A great character mention!

I believe Michael Kaluta did the cover.

vanguard_ill7.jpg

Have you tried to hunt down a high-grade copy of their 1st appearance (Justice Machine Annual 1)? It's one of the tougher copper age independent books to find a decent copy because when the series disappeared, so went the interest. It took purchasing 11 copies before I found a 9.6 grade. Oddly enough, when I turned to the Elementals intro story, the writer had signed the splash page. What a win!

Congrats, that must have felt good! :applause:

Elementals were THE team for me in the 80's. Just picked up The Natural Order trade, read it like it was my first time.I just scooped up a few Elementals issues last week. (thumbs u

I'm the one that finally added the Justice Machine Annual 1 under the wikipedia entry for The Elementals as I was floored nobody had done it before.

They may not be in big demand nowadays, but for us nutty fans we appreciate those things.

It was great to send that book in and get back a CGC 9.6 with White Pages. Sounds like a silly thing to be excited about, but not for me.

I'm the one that finally added the Justice Machine Annual 1 under the wikipedia entry for The Elementals as I was floored nobody had done it before.

They may not be in big demand nowadays, but for us nutty fans we appreciate those things.

It was great to send that book in and get back a CGC 9.6 with White Pages. Sounds like a silly thing to be excited about, but not for me.

:)

Thank you for that; it was definitely needed. I passed on a HG raw of Justice Machine Annual 1. :mad:

I was in a rush skimming through some boxes for sale, went right past it, then realized what I did later that night. doh!

Ah well, the thrill of the chase...

Congrats on your 9.6! Any scans? :wishluck:

The joys (and challenges) of having twin boys is needing two of everything when you can. No worries that there is a 9.4 and 9.6, as it will teach them to trade off on other books when we go through the entire collection in say - hmmmm - 20-25 years.

If I ever find a matching 9.6, I'll sell off or trade the 9.4 to a fellow fan. Never room for being greedy with comics.

jma_1x2.jpg

The joys (and challenges) of having twin boys is needing two of everything when you can. No worries that there is a 9.4 and 9.6, as it will teach them to trade off on other books when we go through the entire collection in say - hmmmm - 20-25 years.

If I ever find a matching 9.6, I'll sell off or trade the 9.4 to a fellow fan. Never room for being greedy with comics.

jma_1x2.jpg

:cloud9: Really, really sweet books. Like you said, they might not be that valuable on the market, but they mean a lot to me.

Please lmk when you do, I'm definitely interested

Bill Willingham=Elementals :headbang:

Justice Machine was not too shabby either!

Count on it with the JLA 1 CGC 9.4, as my hunt will turn up another high-grade copy. Shame is many ended up in the cheap bins, and suffered all the tossing around that takes place alongside Smurf #4, Strawberry Shortcake #2 (the rare edition), and Speedball Special #1.