• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what causes the plastic bag to wrinkle?

48 posts in this topic

Any polybag, whether its polypropylene or polyethelene should be changed every 2-5 years.

I'm a firm believer this is a myth. I've taken many comics out of 20-year old yellow or wrinkled bags that look as new as the day they were placed in them.

Jim

+1

I bought some Novas that appeared to have been bagged 30+ years ago from a local collector who never re-bagged and re-boarded anything he bought (I bought some books back from him that still had price tags on them from my old comic shop in the 90s). I got 'em for cheap, and boy they looked ugly in the bags - when I took them out, they were super bright and easily OW.

I think the 2-5 year concept is personal presentation preference. I hate wrinkly bags, and after re-bagging my collection once a few years ago, I decided to switch to Mylite2s so I wouldn't have to do it again.

I've pulled books out of my collection that sat in a bag and board for 20 years that looked fine. What I notice more is the board turning yellow then anything happening to the bag. I'll usually trash both, but I just don't see the reason to re-bag the trek in my collection.

I've been meaning to move the silver to mylite for a while, but the financial commitment is sort of high. It'll happen soon though.

If so there is no telling how old those bags are.

True...but you can tell exactly how long ago the original question was asked. Highly doubtful the original poster will get any value from your thoughtful response.

Quite right, but others may benefit. I post for all wrinkled bag owners everywhere, regardless of Age, Genre, or Theme. Their cries in the night must not go unanswered. :cry:

True...but you can tell exactly how long ago the original question was asked. Highly doubtful the original poster will get any value from your thoughtful response.

Quite right, but others may benefit. I post for all wrinkled bag owners everywhere, regardless of Age, Genre, or Theme. Their cries in the night must not go unanswered. :cry:

I certainly benefited. I've used your patented anti-wrinkle strategy to smooth the rough laugh lines around my eyes.

It works!

I certainly benefited. I've used your patented anti-wrinkle strategy to smooth the rough laugh lines around my eyes.

It works!

Richard, I haven't look you face to face for maybe 10 years (actually, at 5'6" I have NEVER looked you face to face unless you were sitting) but I cannot imagine that smooth brow furrowed by wrinkles (even if they DO come from laughter!) :hi:

Howdy. This topic finally got me to join. Been reading here for quite some time.

Has anyone else noticed that IDW "eats" (that's what I call the wrinkling) the bags? It doesn't take long, either, maybe a month to a couple months and I can notice the warping. I pre-order with DCBS and I've gotten IDW comics from them and the wrinkling has started and it just gets worse as time goes on. Maybe if I leave them in there long enough they'll eat the rest of the comics in my box? lol

The thing is not only does it affect that comic bag but it also affects the comic bag in front and behind it, if stored together there long enough. Even when I had my Locke & Key vol 6 HC at the bottom of my stack of books to put away the bottom bag's back had started to wrinkle from the HC.

A buddy of mine also said Titan books do this but I haven't gotten any of that company's comics to notice. He did replace his bags with mylars months ago and they haven't shown any signs yet.

Why do you think this could be happening? I didn't notice this with the earlier IDW books but I also have my Locke & Key collection in Mylars2 and those are fine. Could it be the dyes in the ink? Are these books releasing some toxic vapor into my home? lol

If you have some IDW books that aren't in mylars and are curious take a peek.

Howdy. This topic finally got me to join. Been reading here for quite some time.

Has anyone else noticed that IDW "eats" (that's what I call the wrinkling) the bags? It doesn't take long, either, maybe a month to a couple months and I can notice the warping. I pre-order with DCBS and I've gotten IDW comics from them and the wrinkling has started and it just gets worse as time goes on. Maybe if I leave them in there long enough they'll eat the rest of the comics in my box? lol

The thing is not only does it affect that comic bag but it also affects the comic bag in front and behind it, if stored together there long enough. Even when I had my Locke & Key vol 6 HC at the bottom of my stack of books to put away the bottom bag's back had started to wrinkle from the HC.

A buddy of mine also said Titan books do this but I haven't gotten any of that company's comics to notice. He did replace his bags with mylars months ago and they haven't shown any signs yet.

Why do you think this could be happening? I didn't notice this with the earlier IDW books but I also have my Locke & Key collection in Mylars2 and those are fine. Could it be the dyes in the ink? Are these books releasing some toxic vapor into my home? lol

If you have some IDW books that aren't in mylars and are curious take a peek.

I have noticed this with my IDW Star Trek comics. On some books, it is just certain colors that cause this wrinkling to the bag where the colors are and the rest of the bag is flat against the book. It is a strange thing.

I have some Radical Publishing comics (Hercules for example) that reacted badly with the plastic bag and the cover of the comics wrinkled like they were wet! Never had that problem before or since with a comic.