• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay "experience"

29 posts in this topic

I know the shilling was blatantly obvious

You sure?

Could have been a guy bidding on a single sellers items going cheap (under 75% GPA you said) to combine shipping costs.

We'll need a link to see this "shill". :whistle:

I agree. I had a ebay buyer (stage*handz) for a while the high bidder on 30 of my auctions. Don't know the guy, but he did this last month on my auctions as well, and won a bunch of them. He paid promptly too, so I have no idea.

These weren't stolen images from clink's site, these were the actual books purchased and cracked out of slabs.

What does paratrooper do to these sellers?

I think he has temporarily retired from this practice or we haven't seen

a HG stolen image of Amazing Fantasy 15 in a while. He bids the

fake book way up to an unbelieveable winning bid and then stalls the

con artist for several weeks about paying with several different excuses

until their e-bay bill comes in. Now they don't know if the Trooper is

for real about paying and that e-bay bill for the final sellng price must

be rather large. They must regret or think twice about their big money

making plan. lol

Cracking incomplete books off CLink is a scam I've never heard of

and doesn't the seller receive negatives for selling incomplete books?

The problem with many of these crooks is they don't work and have

all day to think of different ways of cheating hard working people out

of their money. :mad:

One was restored that he cracked and sold as unrestored and as much higher grade. The other was missing pages, I don't know if he added the missing pages, undisclosed, or sold as is and hoped it wasn't noticed.

Great job spotting dishonest sellers on Ebay Fazy.

honestly, sometimes i have bid like that...maybe i see a seller with a bunch of stuff i'm interested in and bid on like 50 of their items at the lower ends of the bidding early in the auction in the off chance that i win the., i'm not a sniper. in the old days i actually won some good stuff this way, maybe i'd win 4 out of 50 or 75 or whatever, but the 4 would be sweet. i missed out on more, sure, but whatever. it never works nowadays, too many automated snipe bids going on and such. all i have accomplished is bumping the items up a bit in their early stages generally, which is why i don't bother much anymore.

reporting shills to ebay is a waste of time. i reported once where this bidder bid on a ton of a seller's books and had actually won the same one more than once and the seller just kept on relisting the same item. the only way the item wouldn't get relisted is when someone else won it. could not be more blatant ... heck, i'm pretty sure the shiller was even leaving positive FB. ebay said they saw no problems.

and why should ebay care? this is jacking up their fees.

:shrug:

I've never witnessed what I could truly say was shill bidding on eBay, despite what people claim around here. I'm sure it goes on, but not in the quantity that is claimed here.

My various methods of legitimate bidding on eBay is often misconstrued as shill bidding here...., Even when my shill uses bidnip to snipe, and either wins or loses against myself.

Show me the proof - dammitt :sumo:

My various methods of legitimate bidding on eBay is often misconstrued as shill bidding here...., Even when my shill uses bidnip to snipe, and either wins or loses against myself.

But you just mentioned having a shill here - I don't get this sentence.

How does one account for 15 bid retractions in a 6 month period? That's what showed up in the shills feedback.

If a book is worth a certain price, on most occasions it will gravitate to that price on it's own merit. I probably got lucky because other legitimate bidders stayed away from the auction because of the shilling. So in the end, it may have backfired and cost the seller.

If so, good for him (he got what he deserved) and great for me. Instead of reporting him, I may just put him on my favorite seller list and possibly get some more deals. :grin:

How does one account for 15 bid retractions in a 6 month period? That's what showed up in the shills feedback.

If a book is worth a certain price, on most occasions it will gravitate to that price on it's own merit. I probably got lucky because other legitimate bidders stayed away from the auction because of the shilling. So in the end, it may have backfired and cost the seller.

If so, good for him (he got what he deserved) and great for me. Instead of reporting him, I may just put him on my favorite seller list and possibly get some more deals. :grin:

If he did what you say he did he turned a killer deal for you into a decent one. Plus, as you said earlier in the thread, it's doubtful that many of the real bidders would be as vigilant and clued up about the practice as you are.

The fact remains, and I said it in the other thread, that it was a hell of a lot harder for shilling sellers to operate when bidding history was visible. Now it requires guesswork and zeal to figure out whether a seller is above board or not. No amount of wishful thinking will change that, sadly.

I like the fact that you can look at the bids on E-Bay and possibly detect shill bidding.

(thumbs u

What other auction venue gives you the same opportunity? (shrug)

If you bought the books well below GPA then I suggest you pay the seller and be glad that you paid less than through "traditional" sources.

This.