• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,929 posts in this topic

My LCS was having a 60%-off sale and I was absolutely thrilled to find a high grade run of Kull the Conqueror in the back issue bins. #1 was only a VF but he had it priced crazy low (got it for $7 after the sale price) and then I picked up 5-25 all in NM- to NM+ each at about $5-$6 apiece. They will never be graded and never leave my collection. I'm even gonna do something crazy and sit down and read them all. It's been a while since I scooped up a lengthy, raw, high-grade bronze age run, and it feels good even if "Kull" isn't set for a movie, TV series, and video-game franchise that will quintuple the value of all his appearances every month.

My LCS was having a 60%-off sale and I was absolutely thrilled to find a high grade run of Kull the Conqueror in the back issue bins. #1 was only a VF but he had it priced crazy low (got it for $7 after the sale price) and then I picked up 5-25 all in NM- to NM+ each at about $5-$6 apiece. They will never be graded and never leave my collection. I'm even gonna do something crazy and sit down and read them all. It's been a while since I scooped up a lengthy, raw, high-grade bronze age run, and it feels good even if "Kull" isn't set for a movie, TV series, and video-game franchise that will quintuple the value of all his appearances every month.

From what I recall (I think I just read a few in italian) Kull is a great series.

From what I recall (I think I just read a few in italian) Kull is a great series.

I'm a sucker for all of Marvel's Howard adaptations. Kull the Conqueror/Destroyer wasn't up to the standard of Conan and the Barry Smith to John Buscema connection, but Kull had a fine lineup too: Severin(s), Ploog, Gil Kane, Ernie Chan. It definitely tailed off towards the end of the run, but the first 20 or so issues (it's been a while since I read the run) are a lot of fun.

I was just pleased to walk into an LCS, search through the bins, and see a whole run of raw high grade bronze age books. Forget the great price, it's just been a long time since I've the pleasure of plucking one issue after another out of the bins, examining each and then adding it happily to a growing pile. I had forgotten what a true pleasure that experience can be. I've bought much more valuable books in the past year, but this run is my favorite acquisition in quite some time.

And even though it's hard to wrap my brain around the thought, these are 40 year old books now!

Edited by stroszek

I'm a sucker for all of Marvel's Howard adaptations. Kull the Conqueror/Destroyer wasn't up to the standard of Conan and the Barry Smith to John Buscema connection, but Kull had a fine lineup too: Severin(s), Ploog, Gil Kane, Ernie Chan. It definitely tailed off towards the end of the run, but the first 20 or so issues (it's been a while since I read the run) are a lot of fun.

I think I made some confusion with Skull the Slayer, of which I just read a few stories, and find very original, although I am sure I read some Kull as well.

To my non-Conan-fan eyes, they were both pretty nice, although I am not a big fan of what has turned into a genre. I think if one gets to know better Howard, or any writer for what matters, he can see how much more rich the literary and personal work is, despite the fact that "fantasy" – or "superheroes" have been cristallyzed by criticism into "rigid" genres.

Thanks. :)

They were among the first stories I read, as the 1974 series was a backup to the Italian Fantastic Four, so re-browsing those brought back a lot of memories. Some english titles got very dramatic when adequately translated in italian.

BTW, I never saw the cover on most of those, and these three are particularly beautiful, especially #1 and #7. Gil Kane rocks!

Edited by vaillant