• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

favorite bronze horror stories/themes?

72 posts in this topic

I love 'em all...some to get started:

Secrets of Sinister House #9: The Dance of the Damned

A pair of dancing shoes...a dream...and something sinister.

Secrets of Haunted House #15: Curtain Call

A classic twist "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder" with a Sci-Fi element.

Unexpected #184: An Arabian Fright

An curse on a princess; and an ariabian missing some common sense

Ghosts #79: Lure of the Specter

Those darn ghosts always getting back at people!

Not one of the early issues but a story that is a personal fav from Hos #142

Food for Thought!

Guy becomes immortal through scientific means and while in the jungle decides to become the "God" of a local native tribe.

He's of course very cruel and the natives try to kill him but can't because his wounds rejuvinate instantly.

They finally decide to throw him in quicksand where he doesn't sink but is stuck while insects bite and feed on him forever!

68896.jpg.0def2c90db7cecdc0f9e6d9bbff54676.jpg

Another fav from HoS #100.

Rest in Peace

Totally obese and cruel English landowner in Haiti (I think), discovers how to make local natives into zombie slaves. He makes a slave of another Englishman, a rival, and forces the man to do all sorts of demeaning tasks. The large landowner is so fat that he hates being moved in any way as it causes him great discomfort. He finally dies of a heart attack and by doing so releases all from his power. The earlier enthralled Englishman has the dead landowner cremated and the ashes put in a large hourglass. For revenge he then keeps turning the glass to keep the ashes constantly moving so the landowner's soul can never rest!

68897.jpg.75e1f0329329657c1523bf00f5075daf.jpg

Rest in Peace

Totally obese and cruel English landowner in Haiti (I think), discovers how to make local natives into zombie slaves. He makes a slave of another Englishman, a rival, and forces the man to do all sorts of demeaning tasks. The large landowner is so fat that he hates being moved in any way as it causes him great discomfort. He finally dies of a heart attack and by doing so releases all from his power. The earlier enthralled Englishman has the dead landowner cremated and the ashes put in a large hourglass. For revenge he then keeps turning the glass to keep the ashes constantly moving so the landowner's soul can never rest!

I havent read that one...but its now on my must read list...thanks (thumbs u

Rest in Peace

I havent read that one...but its now on my must read list...thanks (thumbs u

One of, if not the first HoS issues I owned as a kid! :cloud9:

I remember thinking it was the first issue for years, till I got older and noticed it was #100. :blush:

Oooo! I just remembered another one I love but it's late and I can't recall the title book it came from! I believe it was a HoM/HoS book.

Anyway the story involves the father of a recently deceased little girl. In his dispair he makes an unholy deal with the devil to bring his daughter back to life. Apparently the devil does so but, being the eternal trickster, actually just causes the father to go insane and think his daughter is alive! The end panel (from what I remember) is a shocking scene of the demented father holding onto and talking to the girl's corpse! :o

Anyone know which book/story this was from again?

Don't forget the theme about black widows and bugs. Widow invites unscrupulous real estate agent to her home; she is literal black widow. Guy goes to psychologist about dreams of being fly, turns out he really is fly getting eaten by widow. Another weird one where lady is explorer and they go to this bee like tribe, and they abduct her and she becomes queen bee.

I so wish they would come out with a color omnibus for all of the bronze horror series.

This issue had a crazy tale of a German Officer that was a vampire who preyed on children during the war.

At the end the dead children (depicted on cover) come back to "sew" up some loose ends! :o

685888-WWT%2362.jpg

Another I remember that creeped me out as a kid was this issue Unexpected #127.

Follow the Piper to Your Grave

Story has a young couple stranded at a creepy house due to a bridge being out.

The boyfriend goes for help and leaves the girl alone with the house's weird caretaker. Come night the girl hears strange music being played on a pipe flute and is hypnotized to follow the sound. She is aware of not being in control and realizes the caretaker is mad and leading her into a pool of quicksand to drown!

Just before she jumps in after him, the hand of the boyfriend reaches out and saves her, sobbing in his arms he fades away into nothingness. The next day the girl is with police telling her story at the downed bridge of how her boyfriend saved her and now is missing. A crane then pulls up the wreck of the boyfriend's car with him dead inside!

69076.jpg.efa2e24f7a6f30c2ea992fe717535859.jpg

lets see. Recently started getting reader copies and thought I might re-visit this thread. Here is the book. The story is about a boy caught in a storm. Maybe he is dreaming and maybe he is visited by something. Either way, he ends up playing games with someone that looks just like him. Rides out the storm and is found by his parents.

HOM178.jpg

Good stuff. Keep it coming.

I just remembered a story where this death comes to some town to challenge the supposed "greatest gunslinger in the world." Well, even with knowledge it is death, the gunslinger wants to test his mettle. The gunslinger, surprise, actually wins the showdown and takes on death's mantle so that death can move on.

There are variations on the gunslinger theme as well.