• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peanuts going for "relative" peanuts

17 posts in this topic

Was out of town for a few days and am only now digesting the latest Heritage sales. The thing that struck me the most was the "relatively" low prices on the Peanuts strips. Granted there were quite a few offerings in this sale but I thought there were some incredible strips with great content such as Lucy pulling away the football (about as iconic as it gets). Dailies went from $7700 to $14000 and all Sundays fell short of the 40K mark. Is this a sign that the family is having their fill of the art? I thought for sure that two of the Sundays might hit $100K (the aforementioned football strip and perhaps the Valentine's Day). Love to get people's thoughts. I may now be able to afford a strip one day!!

Well it certainly wasn't the thing that struck me the most (the stregnth of the overall OA market was was hit me the hardest), but I did notice the weaker results... I even pressed the bid button once as one of the Sundays seemed to stall at 12k... it shot up after about 30 seconds, but there was hope for a short time anyway.

I initially blamed the weaker showing on the fact that finally this time there were just too many examples at once being offered. There are always a few but this time much more. I'm not sure if the family is the high bidder on most of these strips as there has obviously been underbidders driving these prices up. And, so if it's a combo of family and collectors buying then perhaps there was just too much supply.

Personally, I didn't love the content on most of the strips. Yes, the football gag was great but an opening bid of 90k with the juice seems silly... I guess all potential bidders thought so too.

But, I don't really know the intricacies of this market (maybe no one does) for peanuts. Maybe the family does have their fill... hey, they certainly own tons! But, someone told me yesterday that they made 33 mil last year of the legacy of Peanuts so whats a few hundred thou here and there.

It was my understanding that the estate was buying Peanuts strips, particularly significant pieces. The prices kept going up and up and UP, possibly because of the big money purchases being made by the family.

If they've decided to step away from the Peanuts OA market, I think the $$$ value will trend downward for awhile. If the family choses to continue buying the originals, this would seem to reduce what they'd have to pay in private transactions.

Or maybe the family decide they would sit out for a while and see where prices settled???

Or maybe the underbidders just decided not to compete with the estate?

Maybe in this economy, the usual suspects of bidders couldn't compete. The Schultz estate may or may not have won the pieces, but I think there was less of a challenge simply because there is less money to go around .....

Actually is was $28 mil last year. Here's the link the the Forbes top earning dead celebs: http://www.forbes.com/2002/08/12/0812deadintro.html

! But, someone told me yesterday that they made 33 mil last year of the legacy of Peanuts so whats a few hundred thou here and there.

I think that list is from 2002.

Edited by Betsy Schiffman, 08.12.02, 12:00 PM ET

and here

, our reporters calculated pretax earnings to the estate from licensing agreements, and book and record sales, for the 12-month period from June 2001 to June 2002.

Try here

http://www.forbesinc.com/newsroom/releases/forbescom/FDCDeadCelebss102808.pdf

and here for the 2008 list

www.forbes.com/deadcelebs

The top 3 on this year’s list (earnings in millions):

1. Elvis Presley $ 52

2. Charles M. Schulz $ 33

3. Heath Ledger $ 20

BUT these are just estimates by Forbes magazine. If you have an inside man with the hard numbers you may know more than they do.

I love Peanuts, but I dont really get the prices they have sold for. I didnt know the family had been accumulating the art, and that explains a lot. Overall, longterm, am I the only one who see Peanuts as LOSING interest and value?? Just how prevalent is Peanuts in todays cultural awareness? How about in 20 years??

I hear ya. I know he was enormously wealthy. And Im glad your daughter likes the characters. Thats a good sign. But as for "investing" in the original artwork? Since Schulz stipulated that teh strip not be continued w/o him, I just see it fading away from public conciousness. All the Disney characters (as well as superheroes) just keep coming out year after year.

Im just saying that as much as Id like a Sunday strip on my wall, Im very okay with passing at the prices Ive seen.

I don't know the future of how well the strip will do as an investment. I do think they will always be treasured by collectors. I could care less how they do in the future I'd love to have one. Peanuts has a universal appeal which is hard to describe. How about this. Hang one up in the hallway and even your grandmother would think it was cool !

I did a search on Walmart.com for Snoopy. I didn't do Peanuts because I might get mixed search results with um peanuts.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=snoopy

31 items for sale. You don't need a newspaper strip to stay in the minds of America. That list had nothing to do with him being rich when he was alive. That Forbes list is for income in 2008 and as #2 he is still selling more today than anyone but Elvis. The Peanuts characters may disappear in time but not in my lifetime and not in my daughter's.

I hear ya. I know he was enormously wealthy. And Im glad your daughter likes the characters. Thats a good sign. But as for "investing" in the original artwork? Since Schulz stipulated that teh strip not be continued w/o him, I just see it fading away from public conciousness. All the Disney characters (as well as superheroes) just keep coming out year after year.

Im just saying that as much as Id like a Sunday strip on my wall, Im very okay with passing at the prices Ive seen.

Aren't lots of papers still rerunning old Peanuts strips, just like they do with Calvin & Hobbes?

Anyways, with annual rerunnings of the Christmas cartoon, and general appearances in everyday life (Met Life, etc.), I don't see the peanuts characters fading away from the cultural landscape anytime soon.

There's a fun article in today's New York Times on how Schulz used real snippets of music for the scores that he drew in the strips featuring Schroeder playing the piano.

Article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/arts/design/14pean.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=schulz&st=cse

Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0hAd2rSV20