• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To tape or not to tape

41 posts in this topic

Very nice All Star Bobaloo, :golfclap: Could you take a photo of the interior FC?

And your comment about cracking open slabs brings up a good point. A restored book SHOULD be enjoyed, many times it was why the work was done in the first place, so you can safely pick the cockadoodee book again!!

But conversely you will come across restored books that do not feel as nice as your All Star does. Rough stiff spines, inflexible covers, overworked paper etc... These things cannot be felt inside a slab and all the more reason it would be neat to see some kind of grading or notation about the quality of work done noted by CGC. I know they tried once to implement a grading system and it was not well received, but I thought there were are enough good ideas as bad to not trash the whole idea.

Nice work Ze!

What did you use to remove the tape residue?

Worked real well for the area just above the "en" in SuspenStories. :golfclap:

Hey, Kenny isn't going to put his patched sweater on, lite his pipe and tell you what you need to know. The 2 most common solvents to remove tape as far as I know are Xylene and Bestine. I prefer bestine more because xylene is unpredictable on covers.

Nice work Ze!

Hey, Kenny isn't going to put his patched sweater on, lite his pipe and tell you what you need to know. The 2 most common solvents to remove tape as far as I know are Xylene and Bestine. I prefer bestine more because xylene is unpredictable on covers.

I know you were going for sarcasm Mike, but your comments are just petty. Lets just stick to shop talk ok?

The solvent blend we use when needed for tape removal is proprietary and even if I could, I would not pass it along to everyone so they could use it instead our service. Besides, I never said I used solvents to remove the residue.

Why not just make a thread about your own experience with tape removal, people love photos and hate tape around here.

Nice work Ze!

I know you were going for sarcasm Mike, but your comments are just petty. Lets just stick to shop talk ok?

The solvent blend we use when needed for tape removal is proprietary and even if I could, I would not pass it along to everyone so they could use it instead our service. Besides, I never said I used solvents to remove the residue.

Why not just make a thread about your own experience with tape removal, people love photos and hate tape around here.

Well said Kenny. When you reach the level Kenny has, maybe one or two of us here will take you seriously Mike. But the photos you yourself post show that, you are at the very best still in the infancy stage when it comes to restoration. Now would be a good time to listen and learn.

Nice work Ze!

Hey Kenny, I was and it was to return the favor as I didn't appreciate your sarcasm.

As far as making my own thread I have been there done that and it turned into a train wreck. I would love to share my tape experiences if I thought people here would appreciate it but that doesn't look like the case. I have been reading the JAIC plus AIC Book and Paper Group, and learning so much its hurting my head. Right now I am studying leaf casting and can't wait to start filling in missing paper with that technique as soon as I can find a suction table ;) I know I got off on the wrong foot and I am studying feverously to prove I can do good work.

Mike

I think sometimes people reading this thread may not take into account the amount of experience it takes to do something with a person's hands properly.

Anyone can name a chemical to use, or offer an instruction manual, or make a list of tools needed.

The truth is that a well experienced, well trained set of eyes and hands will do more good than all the great products in the world put together.

It's like Eric Clapton playing beautiful music on an old beat up guitar missing a few strings vs. some 17 year old hot shot churning out something robotic on his dad's vintage Les Paul that is worth somewhere in the 5 figure range.

There are so many little variations to take into account...room temperature (as these solvents are often volatile and evaporate), type of paper, time, etc etc that you need to stress that performing any sort of work on a book is really a form of art than a mechanical act.

So it comes down to more than just what to use, but rather how to use it....having the "touch"...and that is something you can only learn over time.

This is something that can be easily overlooked when having a discussion like this.

R.

I'll try to get some scans of the interior FC, perhaps the back cover even, and post them here a.s.a.p.

:popcorn:

:hi:

I haven't forgotten your request for interior cover shots, just been a little busy :P

I will get to it!

(and to the point Roy makes about experienced, well trained set of eyes and hands, Susan took the All Star #2 tape removal job when others turned it down, and she spent a great deal of time researching a method to remove the tape that had literally fused with the paper without destroying the integrity of the paper)

I'll try to get some scans of the interior FC, perhaps the back cover even, and post them here a.s.a.p.

:popcorn:

I haven't forgotten your request for interior cover shots, just been a little busy :P

I will get to it!

(and to the point Roy makes about experienced, well trained set of eyes and hands, Susan took the All Star #2 tape removal job when others turned it down, and she spent a great deal of time researching a method to remove the tape that had literally fused with the paper without destroying the integrity of the paper)

I noticed it looked like a tough job. I think people would be more impressed if there was a before pic showing the discoloration. I also want to say I don't think tape should be used on a comic for any reason archival or not. I have not experienced this yet but I read that although it doesn't oxidize Archival tape is not easily removed.

The shot of the inside cover is the "before" shot, I still need to scan and post the "after" shot of the interior.

Sorry this hasn't happened yet, but I've been dealing with a death in the family.

The shot of the inside cover is the "before" shot, I still need to scan and post the "after" shot of the interior.

Sorry this hasn't happened yet, but I've been dealing with a death in the family.

:(

Really sorry to hear this, post some scans if/when you get time.

:(

Really sorry to hear this, post some scans if/when you get time.

Yikes, I totally didn't see that. real sorry to here that. :(

The poor guy had a death in the family and all you can comment on is my spelling. That really show what kind of person you are. (tsk)

Bob-a-loo knows I'm not disrepecting his loss in anyway, my condolences go out to you buddy.

Mike, I'm talking to you. You have no idea what kind of person I am. Apart from one that can spell.

Hi folks, no biggie.

And thanks you for the sentiments (thumbs u

While it was a sad loss (what loss isn't) it wasn't totally unexpected. My uncle was in his 80's and has been really sick for a while now, and TBH he was spared a lot worse pain (he was just diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, but died of other causes before he could begin treatment).

Sad, but somewhat merciful.

:angel:

Anyway, I FINALLY pulled the book out last night and realized that I can't scan the open book (without risking damage to it), and I'll have to shoot it with a digital camera. That's as far as I got, unfortunately.

I will get to it.

:wishluck:

The stains ARE still there (Susan agonized about this, now I see why) and there was some paper loss in removing the tape, but it looks a hell of a lot better than with the tape. For sure it will most likely last a heck of a lot longer than if the tape were left on the book.

Bob

P.s. MasterCPU The answer is yes,

It was submitted to Susan as a restoration, which includes color touch.