• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a twilight copy and a D pedigree?

82 posts in this topic

Hey,

I'm looking at two books and was hoping someone could help

1) Batman 6 old label 9.0 with a "Twilight" notation. Is this a pedigree?

2)All winners 21-a "D" collection copy-who or what is a D?

Thanks, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

The D collection was discovered by Fishler of Metropolis. I can't recall much else other than the books have a code on them, and that sometimes there was a D in the code.. thus the "D collection". It's a smaller collection too, like 2,000-3,000 books.

I've seen a few Twilight books, mostly early Batman books. Don't know anything about it as a pedigree though.

Brian

"D" - In 1991 Steve Fishler began to buy piecemeal what would eventually become known as the "D" collection. A person had located many boxes of old comics in Nyack, New York and was bringing Fishler one box every two weeks. No one knows where the collection originated from, but 99% of the books have a code written (possibly by a child) at the top of the first page. The collection ultimately numbered 1000, but there is reason to believe more comics were previously sold to other dealers. The range of the collection spanned from the late 1930's to the early 1950's. Some major keys present in the "D" collection included Sensation #1, All-Flash #1, Captain America #1, Batman #1, and Detective #28 and #29. The collection was initially distributed as a non pedigree and has just recently been dubbed the "D" collection because of the frequent "D" written on the cover and on the splash page.

IDENTIFICATION-As mentioned above, practically all of the "D" books contain a code written on the top margin of the first page. On occasion a "D" is written on the cover as well. Although most of the books exhibit foxing and a few have slightly tanned pages the books appear to have been unread.

DESIRABILITY-Because of the relatively new identification in the market "D" collection books still sell fairly close to guide.

The Twilight collection was found in the 90s and split up by three dealers: Fishler, Four Color and Showcase NE. It contained a near complete run of GA Batman, Detective, World's Finest and others. They were mostly tight flat clean books but some had a bit of tanning on the inside covers that bothered some other dealers and collectors. Overall, they were from 8.5 to 9.2s though I dont know all the grades that have come back...

Some of the Twilight's didn't come back too high. Off the top of my head I know the Tec 40 came back a 6.5 with moderate tanning on the interior front and back cover. Some of the other ones I have seen came back in high grade just not super high grade.

Some of the Church books were 6.5s too.

but I know what you mean. The dealer resistance they met wasnt just out of jealousy...

I would still take that 6.5 since mines only a 5.5 with a big dust shadow going down the right hand side of the book. I don't reacall every seeing a Twilight above a 9.0 raw or graded...but of course I may have and just forgot. And that's not to say a 9.0 or 9.2 isn't awsome but a few of the other pedigrees such as the Mile High have had handfuls of books come back 9.2+

Based upon what I've seen, the Twilight collection would definitely not be anywhere around the Top 5 in terms of pedigree status. If this collection had been found by anybody else except the Metropolis triumvirate (at the time), it may not even had acheived pedigree status.

What is everybody's opinion with respect to what the Top 5 should be? Based upon what I have seen and heard, the Top 3 from a technical condition point of view appears to be: 1) San Francisco, 2) Mile Highs, and 3) Allentowns.

Does anybody else have a point of view which they would like to share?

1) MH

2) San Fran

3) Chicago

4) Larson

5) Allentown

There just aren't enough Allentown's to put them ahead of the others, IMHO. But the few of them out there are of incredible quality. The Larson collection is so extensive, but the foxing and writing on the cover makes me prefer the other three ahead of it. Chicago Timely's are my personal favorite. thumbsup2.gif

For Timelys...

1 MH

2. SF

3. Chicago

4. Pennsylvania

5. Allentown

6. Cosmic Aeroplane

7. Nova Scotia

8. "D" copies

9. Big Apple

10 Larson

Of note Carson City, Kansas City, Denver, Okajima, and Crowley are next. Windy City, Recil Macon and Rockford and Twilight are at the end. juggle.gif

Timely

No one knows where the collection originated from, but 99% of the books have a code written (possibly by a child) at the top of the first page.

Here's a pic of what the code looks like. Not everyone agrees with Matt Nelson's assessment that it was written by a child. To my eye it almost appears as if the owner wrote the code while holding the book up in the air. YMMV.

324757-D%20Copy%20Code.jpg

589a8b72b7682_324757-DCopyCode.jpg.36ae57238bc06b1fc05199f1ad51e6cc.jpg

1 MH

2. SF

3. Chicago

[snip]

They're not structurally perfect so they wouldn't place in the top 5, but for page quality you truly can't beat Salidas. The whiteness of those books blow away any Mile High or San Francisco out there.

Alan

From the S.A. Ohio books I've seen, they're definately one of the lowest (quality-wise) pedigrees I can think of. Most of the books I've seen have been between 6.0-8.0 range. However, I've seen some late G.A. books from the collection that are nicer, like 8.5-9.2. I've only seen written dates on a lot of them, but I don't know for sure whether written arrival dates are a regular characteristic of this pedigree.

To reiterate, S.A. Ohios .. not so great.. G.A. Ohios .. much better.. smile.gif

Brian