• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Spidey #30 selling for so much lately?

30 posts in this topic

the only truly bad Ditko cover was 38 which was after he quit and was put together from stats of the interior. (if im remembering correctly.)

Go back and check the cover for ASM #10, for me that is Ditko's worst...

That's cuz it was Kirby, not Stevie D.

Ah, but to HighVoltage's point, if Kirby pencilled the whole cover, Ditko can't really be held responsible for its "look and feel." An inker, especially in those days, and especially when inking The King's pencils, doesn't/didn't have carte blanche in terms of re-drawing the art.

As for "Ditko's Worst ASM cover," do we really need to have that discussion? The guy did roughly 45 Spidey covers (incl. AF 15, Annuals 1 and 2, and a couple I'm forgetting), and that's just not enough to come up with "bottom of the barrel" candidates, IMHO... even the worst Ditko Spidey cover is better than most artists' BEST effort...

Kirby only pencilled the Spider-Man figure on ASM #10...Ditko did the rest,

Eric

Yeah - I believe you're right, Eric (awesome web-site, btw! I bookmarked you immediately)... BUT, I don't think the 'ASM #10 cover sucks because of Ditko' argument can really be Stevie D's fault. In fact, didn't SD draw a completely different cover to #10, only to have Stan turn it down & have Kirby knock out that one? Anyone got a pic of that one? (like the AF 15 alternate Ditko cover?)

In fact, didn't SD draw a completely different cover to #10, only to have Stan turn it down & have Kirby knock out that one? Anyone got a pic of that one? (like the AF 15 alternate Ditko cover?)

I would very much like to see that also, if anyone has it. thumbsup2.gif

I like it too because it's different, you don't usually see the perspective on a comic cover zoomed out that far

Its a rip-off or take-off (what ever you choose) of a earlier TREASURE CHEST cover by Fran Matera. Chuck White story I believe. Can't remember what issue it was. Must of been something Ditko seen once and stuck in his memory.

Id love to see that cover you are talking about.......

We all know too well that there is very little originality left, but it would be inteeresting to see both to compare what Ditko may have been inspired by.

Comics Journal had a great little running item for awhile which showed outright swipes and the original panels they were copied from.