• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When books are de-slabbed for SS, why are the old serial numbers still valid?

7 posts in this topic

In order to obtain that lovely yellow SS label, various books of mine have been cracked out of their slabs throughout 2008, signed, submitted by a CGC SS witness (alongside the old label), and thereby gotten a new serial number. The weirdness is that every single non-SS book still shows up in my registry sets, and is still part of the CGC census.

Isn't this exactly what's not supposed to happen when the old label has been turned in?

For instance, my Death: The High Cost of Living #1 Platinum edition used to be a CGC 9.8 (#0088031005) - it was submitted for a signing back in july and has been a CGC 9.8 SS (#0955401002) for a couple of months now. Yet the census still shows four CGC 9.8 copies (even though there are only three now), and I can still add the old book to my sets?

death_plat.jpg

None whatsoever :tonofbricks:

One weird thing, though - I previously had the one & only Sandman #50 (regular edition) in CGC 9.8. It was signed a little white ago, and the grade dropped to a 9.6 (darnit) - which is accurately reflected in the recently-updated CGC Census (there are now no 9.8's listed of that book).

And if I do a "Verify CGC Certification" in the Registry, the serial number for the 9.8 copy doesn't exist more (#0723243004).

But ... if I edit my Sandman set, this book still shows up as an "available book".

Weird, The removal of books once Sig'd was something i always wondered about, i mean certainly if a book is deslabbed it should be removed unless cgc doesn't know it has been. But during a signing? it should be obvious....

Also

One weird thing, though - I previously had the one & only Sandman #50 (regular edition) in CGC 9.8. It was signed a little white ago, and the grade dropped to a 9.6 (darnit) - which is accurately reflected in the recently-updated CGC Census (there are now no 9.8's listed of that book).

Does this mean that when you take a book to be sig'd does it get re graded? -

would that mean the owner of say AF#15 who got stan the man to sign it would have to pay...%FMV again?

And when a book is reslabbed, is it regraded?

Weird, The removal of books once Sig'd was something i always wondered about, i mean certainly if a book is deslabbed it should be removed unless cgc doesn't know it has been. But during a signing? it should be obvious....

Also

Does this mean that when you take a book to be sig'd does it get re graded? -

would that mean the owner of say AF#15 who got stan the man to sign it would have to pay...%FMV again?

And when a book is reslabbed, is it regraded?

Yeah - if you have a CGC book that you get signed, it'll get cracked out of the case & will then need to be re-graded (which is why there's always a possibility the grade might drop once it turns into a CGC SS book). And, yes, you'll be paying the grading fee again.

If the case is cracked, the label is incorrect or you have an old label book that you want a new label on, and you send the book in to be re-holdered, it won't get regraded, though.

• Administrator

Did you personally submit the label or did you turn it over to the witness? I checked and we are currently up to date with the label deletions, but based upon your information it seems as if the label was not turned in. Unfortunately we can only delete books with the original label. This is why there is a note at the beginning of our Census to state that it may not be 100% accurate. But if you know that the book is not valid it would be preferred if you did not keep it registered on the Registry...

Did you personally submit the label or did you turn it over to the witness? I checked and we are currently up to date with the label deletions, but based upon your information it seems as if the label was not turned in. Unfortunately we can only delete books with the original label. This is why there is a note at the beginning of our Census to state that it may not be 100% accurate. But if you know that the book is not valid it would be preferred if you did not keep it registered on the Registry...

I've sent slabbed books to the witnesses on every occasion, and the witness has then been the one who sent in the labels alongside the signed books. I could understand it if we were talking about just one witness here - but I've gotten books done by 3 different CGC witnesses, and books from all of them display this same behaviour.

Check out this book, for instance. This is my Sandman #50 CGC 9.8 which dropped to a CGC SS 9.6. According to the census, there are no 9.8's of the regular Sandman #50 (which is correct) and if you try to verify the serial number of this book (#0723243004), it comes back as being invalid (which is also correct seeing that this book doesn't exist anymore).

Yet, I had no problems whatsover adding it to my registry set (I only did this to show you that I could - I have no intention of puttin non-existant books in my registry sets).