• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a good collection for an 11-year-old?

41 posts in this topic

When my nephew started reading, I couldn't wait to get him started on Edgar Rice Burroughs books. I'm eager to buy him a few of the Barsoom books, but I don't think he's quite ready for them yet (probably next Christmas).

So what I'd like to do is get him interested in comics. He already reads Star Wars comics from time to time, but I want to expand his reading material by showing him some other really great comics. Are there any must read comics for a young boy? I know that theoretically any comic would fit the bill, but I want something that will spark his interest and keep him reading for years to come.

Any recommendations?

Why not get him some of the Myriad Burroughs comics that were put out by DC and Marvel?

KORACK, TARZAN, WEIRDWORLDS, JOHN CARTER WARLORD OF MARS

The above were my first introdution to ERB around the same age as your nephew is now. From there I graduated to all the novels!! :cloud9:

You could also do the CONAN THE BARBARIAN marvel series.

All these comics are cheap easy reads I would think for your nephew!

I would say Marvel Conan for sure, if he is "into" that type of thing. Otherwise, SPIDER-MAN all the way!

Start in the 1970's and 1980's. The new stuff is too weird and "adult".

Also, what kid would not like a full run of 1970's Howard the Duck? What a great read!

I want to tread lightly here, that's why I'm not ready to buy him ERB books just yet (I've waited 11 years to get him into those novels, so I want to do this right). If I choose incorrectly, he might think all comics are not worth reading.

I know he's interested in super heroes because he likes the movies, so I'm considering that my gateway. But if he were my son, he'd be reading Conan and other Sword and Sorcery stuff already. :cloud9:

When my nephew started reading, I couldn't wait to get him started on Edgar Rice Burroughs books. I'm eager to buy him a few of the Barsoom books, but I don't think he's quite ready for them yet (probably next Christmas).

So what I'd like to do is get him interested in comics. He already reads Star Wars comics from time to time, but I want to expand his reading material by showing him some other really great comics. Are there any must read comics for a young boy? I know that theoretically any comic would fit the bill, but I want something that will spark his interest and keep him reading for years to come.

Any recommendations?

Get him the Marvel Masterpieces or Marvel Omnibus Spider-man and Fantastic Four that have the Spidey Ditko runs and Fantastic Four Kirby runs. Kids are much more sophisticated at 11 then we were, get him something nice like those Masterpieces or Omnibus , don`t get him no floppie readers. These kids are use to playing brand new videogames and going on the internet. a floppie reader would turn the kid off from the hobby.

FANTASTIC FOUR....especially the first 100....clean fun with emphasis on teamwork and family....I was hooked on them at age 7...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Actually that is a good suggestion...My youngest hates to read, but FANTASTIC FOUR the early issues were something he really enjoyed when he was young.

I agree the emphasis on Teamwork and Family is a plus!

He also enjoyed the Simpson comics as he got a little older.

He will occasionally read a Mad Magazine now and then, but The Humour in MAD might be a little too "adult" for your nephew.

So your nephew's a Sci-Fi guy. Cool.

Strange Adventures 217-244. Those books reprint most of the Adam Strange stories. They also contain reprints of the Atomic Knights, Star Rovers, the odd Space Cabbie story, and a host of other cool 50's DC Sci-Fi.

Great idea....all awesome stories that don't insult your intelligence.GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hmmm, Bone. You know, maybe I can read that with him. I've always wanted to read it, and maybe he'd get into the idea of his cool uncle reading the same book he is. (That's assuming he considers me the cool uncle, of course.)

Do you recommend the colorized versions? I'm not sure if he'd get turned off by the black-n-white originals.

My son is 11 and LOVES Bone...also the graphic novel versions...I think there are about 7 or 8 of those...

I have tried to get my 2 daughters interested in comics with mixed results.

My youngest (9) loves BONE, Calvin and Hobbs, and the Kim Possible pocket books.

My oldest (13) likes the Star Wars Manga series (Dark Horse) and likes the recent teenage-themed RUNAWAY series by Marvel.

I find that if I attempt to push what I like, its met with some natural resistance, but if I introduce something in a benign way, they will evaluate it accordingly.

Kids...

I find that if I attempt to push what I like, its met with some natural resistance, but if I introduce something in a benign way, they will evaluate it accordingly.

Kids...

That's funny, because my niece and nephew seem to be similar. Or at least, that's the side they show me. Their parents tell me how excited they are to read something Uncle James gave them, but when I ask them about it or tell them about it when I give it to them, they're like, "Meh, whatever. It's just a book." :lol:

I talked to my nephew on the phone last night about video games, though. He was the most excited and eager to discuss the topic more than he's ever been before. Now if I could just get him that interested in comics...

I have a agree with Scrooge - the Tin Tin books are undisputed classics and readily available- if an 11 year old doesn't like them at all, then they probably won't like anything. I loved them as a kid, when my grandfather would send me a new one from the U.K. for Christmas and Birthdays (they were difficult to come by in the U.S. at the time).

When I was 11 it was the end of the Silver Age (or dawn of Bronze - take your pick), and the other comics I thought were the coolest were Marvels (especially Kirby and Steranko), Neal Adams' Batman, and the R. Crumb books my Mom's hippie friends left laying around.

I've been reading Zot! recently and I think a 11-year old would dig that!

Also, there's always some of the European classics: Asterix and Tintin. I wouldn't go with Asterix, too European-centric but Tintin is very fun with its adventure / mystery mix and very accessible. I would look at The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure as a starting point. It's a longer story that still works (i.e., not too much outdated technology involved) or The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun, another longer story.

Zot! was great but I think that the "Earth" stories deal with some themes that wouldn't be appropriate for an eleven year old.

Kids...

That's funny, because my niece and nephew seem to be similar. Or at least, that's the side they show me. Their parents tell me how excited they are to read something Uncle James gave them, but when I ask them about it or tell them about it when I give it to them, they're like, "Meh, whatever. It's just a book." :lol:

I talked to my nephew on the phone last night about video games, though. He was the most excited and eager to discuss the topic more than he's ever been before. Now if I could just get him that interested in comics...

you can`t compare the two, in a comic you read Spider-man for about 15 minutes while in a videogame you are Spider-man for countless hours. like comparing silent movies to talkies.I think a lot of people here tend to think videogames are like Pacman quality and don`t realize that most videogames are even better and more exciting then movies now. Anybody play Halo or World of Warcraft? I have yet to experience a comic lately that are that exciting. We all keep talking about Dark Knight and Watchmen,those graphic novels came out in the 1980`s, movies and videogames just keep getting better while comics have become stagnant. I love Lee and Ditko Spidey`s but they came out over 40 years ago.

I've been reading Zot! recently and I think a 11-year old would dig that!

Zot! was great but I think that the "Earth" stories deal with some themes that wouldn't be appropriate for an eleven year old.

Only have read up to issue # 9 or 10 so far. To this point, it's all ok. Sorry if I didn't realize that the subject matter changes noticeably later on. (thumbs u