• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC should also grade comic's smell.

34 posts in this topic

Ok, let me give this new system a try:

Lilac-Fresh

Fresh

Mothballs

Stale

Dank

Rank

Stank

Rancid

Greggy's shorts

The thing is, occasionally you'll win a comic on ebay (raw, obviously) which'll look half decent but will either smell chronically of cigarettes or intense dankness (or short shorts, of course) to the extent that you end up being afraid of putting the damn thing with any of your other books for fear of contaminating them with the stench.

So yep, I think CGC should recall all slabs they've done since they began in order to apply the Scent Designation to each of them.

You buy any books, Andy, from Bob's "oil furnace" collection? I got one of those into a slab as fast as humanly possible - until then, it couldn't even be kept in the same house as the rest of my collection.

I haven't purchased one of those, but I remember picking up a few books from another NY dealer that all reeked of mothballs. Not quite as bad as dankness, but enough for double bag and separate box status. The pages were generally white though.

You do realize that if CGC starts grading a comic's smell then certain unscrupulous dealers are going to start masking bad smells by "perfuming" the comic, which could get it a PLOD along with the color touch and the trimming. However, since perfuming, like pressing, doesn't really affect the actual physical nature of the book, CGC won't be willing, at first, to give perfumed books a PLOD designation. This is going to cause much consternation here on the boards between the "perfuming is restoration" and the "perfuming is not restoration" camps.

I predict endless threads, many flame wars, and a busy banning day for Dena.

What are the grades?

Fresh

Iffy to fresh

Iffy

Whiffy to iffy

Whiffy

Pongy to whiffy

Pongy

Toxic

Greggy was here

:acclaim:

Ok, let me give this new system a try:

Lilac-Fresh

Fresh

Mothballs

Stale

Dank

Rank

Stank

Rancid

Greggy's shorts

Depending upon who to speak to, dank might actually be at the top of the totem pole. Somehow, I agree with the mothballs ranking, you gotta love that smell!