• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happened to poor little comics in the 1950's

24 posts in this topic

I love old weird stuff like this!

Ditto! A desire to preserve and protect the past is what distinguishes the curator types from the strictly $$-oriented investors. Nice historical artifacts and notes, guys.

:applause::applause::applause:

I can confirm this practice extended at least into the mid-1970s or even later. Three to a pack, no covers, cheap at the grocery store or five and dime. The only ones I remember clearly was a copy of DC's Blackhawk and Green Lantern. This was small-town Wisconsin, so anything that faded away always hung around a bit longer in these sorts of places. You could always find baseball cards from a year or two before still on a shelf in a store. 

I remember those days.  There was a little grocery store locally which had a metal spinner rack.  It contained cellophane bags with three coverless comics for a quarter.  I got a whole bunch of PCH and war comics that way, in 1956.  Sadly, some years later loaned them to a "friend", and that was the last I ever saw of them.