• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll. How do you feel about different types of restoration?

Minor pro color touch  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Minor pro color touch

27 posts in this topic

I don't have many problems with GA color touches when I can hardly see it and it cuts the book's price in half. In fact I'd almost prefer them.

Pressing didn't concern me one way of the other.

Trimming is a big no-no. (tsk)

Reinforced splits are almost preferred.

Add content and/or pieces is the suck! :eek:

I wouldn't mind going back a few years when restored books were regularly fetching 25 % of guide...especially tear seals,slight CT, and cleaning.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The most interesting result to me is re: pressing. It shows why there's so many harsh debates on here about it.

I rate it a zero, as do more than half of us so far, but there are some (presuming they're not joking) that consider a book ruined? WTF?

I also find it odd how many people view tear seals and repaired spine splits to be a bad thing even borderline destroying the book.(that is if the poll was taken seriously and not just filled out for effect)

Compared to CT or piecefill(which are mainly done for aesthetics) a sealed tear/spine split is so non invasive, not to mention totally removable when compared to the structural integrity it adds to the book I just cant see how people would consider it destroying a book. I can see how people might dislike it, but to the point of thinking a book to be destroyed? It allows one to pick up and handle/read a book safely where before you could not.

It's also easily detected, so the fear of undisclosed sealed tears is not part of why peoople should dislike it like pressing or amatuer CT.

Thanks for the poll Mike, it obviously interests me as I always enjoy discussing how people view different forms of conso/resto.

One thing I would add to the Chemical(solvent) cleaning poll, is tape removal which is largely why a book would go through this process. So while it may have side effects people may not like, it also serves a larger purpose then just cleaning.

Also, "minor amateur color touch" isn't a problem. I have an AF 15 6.0 with minor amateur ct I can't even see.

It gave me a good price, at least.

I agree, but I think the kind of amateur CT people loath most is the kind done with a marker that bleeds through the paper(and ruins it) Badly matched or applied paint is another beast, to me anyways.

Also, "minor amateur color touch" isn't a problem. I have an AF 15 6.0 with minor amateur ct I can't even see.

It gave me a good price, at least.

I agree, but I think the kind of amateur CT people loath most is the kind done with a marker that bleeds through the paper(and ruins it) Badly matched or applied paint is another beast, to me anyways.

I think amateur and pro color touch can be viewed in different ways. Amateur color touch does harm the book as it bleeds through...but I think it is often viewed so that it is seen more as a "defect" than resto. Some kid could have added color to the spine of an AF #15 40 years ago. It is easier to justify as being part of the books history. Pro color touch is technically better for the book's well being, but shows that the book has been "tainted" by professional or skilled restorers and has without a doubt been "restored".