• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DIY deacidification spray questions

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone used any of the diy deacidification sprays on the market like"Archival Mist Deacidification Spray".

Are they worth trying?

Has anyone had any bad/good results?

Are they easy to use?

Whats the best on the market?

Any help and info would be appreciated

Thanks.

Has anyone used any of the diy deacidification sprays on the market like"Archival Mist Deacidification Spray".

Are they worth trying?

Are they easy to use?

Thanks.

Yes.

Yes.

Good.

Yes.

Archival Mist. If it's good enough for National Archives, it's good enough for me.

(thumbs u

They are sold at the crafts chain store Michaels. If you have one near you, look in the Sunday paper for the Michaels flyer... they often have a 40% off one item coupon. If I recall correctly, Archival Mist is about $30+. This is good for about 3 - 4 comics.

I know other collectors have also used this product with no bad results.

They key is to apply in a sweeping motion... don't soak the pages and don't spray it on the cover or inside cover. Just the inside pages.

Are they worth trying?

Are they easy to use?

Thanks.

Yes.

Yes.

Good.

Yes.

Archival Mist. If it's good enough for National Archives, it's good enough for me.

(thumbs u

They are sold at the crafts chain store Michaels. If you have one near you, look in the Sunday paper for the Michaels flyer... they often have a 40% off one item coupon. If I recall correctly, Archival Mist is about $30+. This is good for about 3 - 4 comics.

I know other collectors have also used this product with no bad results.

They key is to apply in a sweeping motion... don't soak the pages and don't spray it on the cover or inside cover. Just the inside pages.

I made the mistake of spraying it on the cover of a Tales of suspense #58 many years ago (late 80's?). I sent the book to CGC more recently and they gave it a restored grade saing the cover was "reglossed"...even though it dulled the cover ever so slightly. :pullhair: I've been meaning to call them to discuss this policy.

I made the mistake of spraying it on the cover of a Tales of suspense #58 many years ago (late 80's?). I sent the book to CGC more recently and they gave it a restored grade saing the cover was "reglossed"...even though it dulled the cover ever so slightly. :pullhair: I've been meaning to call them to discuss this policy.

It's a non-aerosol pump spray that instantly dries. However, it does not absorb into glossy paper stock (the cover) and dries to a very fine powdery residue. If you get some overspray on a cover, just gently wipe it off with a tissue... it comes right off.

I don't know how CGC would think it is reglossing. It's not a glossy spray at all. Perhaps the product has changed since you used it.

Just wanted to agree with what Steve said, the products on the market today do work but their only drawback is their cost effectiviness(those darn cans are expensive!) But if you have a few GA books you want to slow the aging process on then go for it.

Like anything else you try for the first time though, do a few practice books first. While applying it aint rocket science it does help to have a spraying, page turning technique worked out before you start on your high end books.

If anything to see how much is too much, and/or if it leaves some kind of unwanted spray pattern or residue.

And regarding that "glossed" cover. I think even though that was not what was done, CGC might have just pegged it as a "botched" re gloss job that yielded bad results because all they had to go by was what was in front of them, a weird looking cover that had something sprayed on it.

Just wanted to agree with what Steve said, the products on the market today do work but their only drawback is their cost effectiviness(those darn cans are expensive!) But if you have a few GA books you want to slow the aging process on then go for it.

Like anything else you try for the first time though, do a few practice books first. While applying it aint rocket science it does help to have a spraying, page turning technique worked out before you start on your high end books.

If anything to see how much is too much, and/or if it leaves some kind of unwanted spray pattern or residue.

And regarding that "glossed" cover. I think even though that was not what was done, CGC might have just pegged it as a "botched" re gloss job that yielded bad results because all they had to go by was what was in front of them, a weird looking cover that had something sprayed on it.

The product I used was called 'Wei To' I believe, or something like that. It was sold by Bill Cole and came in an aerosol can.

Regarding the 'reglossing', I'm not critical of CGC, I completely understand why it was labeled that way...just disappointed is all.

The product I used was called 'Wei To' I believe, or something like that. It was sold by Bill Cole and came in an aerosol can.

Oh yeah... that's old school conservator stuff. I understand a lot of art galleries treat their lithos with this stuff. Supposedly is great, but probably not meant for DIY use. Probably easy to screw up unless you are practiced.

Archival Mist comes in a non aerosol pump, so it's pretty hard to screw up. It's not like it jets out under high pressure and you could easily soak a page.