• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Startling 49 -- 1948 -- Classic Schomburg GGA & robot cover

32 posts in this topic

I think there's consensus that Startling 49 is his best airbrush cover. It ranked high on the GA classic cover contest we ran in the forum, it was featured on the cover of Comic Book Marketplace, it was featured on the cover of the recent Schomburg coffee table book and it's listed in Overstreet and CGC as a classic cover. From personal experience I can tell you that there's been far more demand and interest in this book than any other Schomburg airbrush. Back in 1994 it used to guide for a price fairly similar to the others but I can remember how much "buzz" there was in convention rooms when a dealer had one for sale. Indeed it was the constant demand over a number of years that has driven it to the current price levels. Not only that but it's a book that almost always gets "oohs" and "ahhs" both here on the boards and in personal situations that I've witnessed.

We are all entitled to our own opinions of covers, but this is someone's sales thread and , therefore, it's probably better to present the hobby view.

Good luck on your sale!

it is my favorite, followed closely by thrilling 63.

I think there's consensus that Startling 49 is his best airbrush cover. It ranked high on the GA classic cover contest we ran in the forum, it was featured on the cover of Comic Book Marketplace, it was featured on the cover of the recent Schomburg coffee table book and it's listed in Overstreet and CGC as a classic cover. From personal experience I can tell you that there's been far more demand and interest in this book than any other Schomburg airbrush. Back in 1994 it used to guide for a price fairly similar to the others but I can remember how much "buzz" there was in convention rooms when a dealer had one for sale. Indeed it was the constant demand over a number of years that has driven it to the current price levels. Not only that but it's a book that almost always gets "oohs" and "ahhs" both here on the boards and in personal situations that I've witnessed.

We are all entitled to our own opinions of covers, but this is someone's sales thread and , therefore, it's probably better to present the hobby view.

Good luck on your sale!

:applause:(worship) Well said.

>> You might be right

In my defense, I think the price is high, but not totally outrageous. It's an "always in demand" book and there are only a handful of high grade copies out there.

Plus, that amount is only about 7% above what this copy sold for 2 years ago.

gozer

about double guide for one of the iconic books of the hobby, with a pedigree cherry on top. fair price, i'd say. knock it out of the park, sir.

See what happens when you're foolish enough to honestly answer a rhetorical question? :sorry:

It's the kind of cover that would make someone start collecting GA books. It's one of the GAs on my list but I've got an aversion to grease pencil on the cover. Good luck with the sale!

It ranked high on the GA classic cover contest we ran in the forum ...

# 3 as a matter of fact - GA Contest Non-Super-Hero Results

great list of books. but the guy on the cover of jumbo 10 is no more superhero than buck rogers--what's that book doing NOT on the list???

Bah - the overwhelming EC bias in the pre-code crime and horror choices render the entire list a farce!

Still - Startling #49 is a classic, and the copy for sale here is a beautiful specimen - a worthy addition to any atom age collection!

Bah - the overwhelming EC bias in the pre-code crime and horror choices render the entire list a farce!

Still - Startling #49 is a classic, and the copy for sale here is a beautiful specimen - a worthy addition to any atom age collection!

no e.c. devotee' here, but i wondered why there wasn't one more on the list: vault of horror 35.

Remember guys that the way we (Norinn Radd and I) ran the survey was to request from board members the initial books to put on the voting ballot. So board members did load up the list with ECs and then proceeded to vote them high. Are there covers that went overlooked? Yes!

The only Vault of Horror issues on the ballot were # 16 and # 26. They ranked 96 and 65, respectively, in the final tally.

My one and only BUMP for '09 --

Especially now that everyone is flush from the huge Christmas bonuses they received. Ha!

gozer

Let us celebrate our new arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk.