• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Startling 49 -- 1948 -- Classic Schomburg GGA & robot cover

32 posts in this topic

I never thought I'd be selling this book, but as Dylan said,the times they are a-changin'. So here goes ...

Startling Comics issue #49 - one of the most recognized GGA booksof the Golden Age, with that great Schomburg airbrushed cover.

This is the Crippen copy, CGC 8.5, with cream to off-white pages.

The reds on the cover are vivid - it's a great looking copy.
There is some notation in grease pencil above the second "T" in Startling.

Here's the current CGC census, for copies at 8.5 and higher,for this book:

Grade	Univ	Qualified9.4	2	-9.2	-	19.0	2	-8.5	2	1

Off topic: To the two folks who have the 9.4 copies -- WOW. Congrats.

Price is $7000 - firm.

I'll pay for shipping, USPS with full insurance.
I'm in central Texas, and pickup in person is a possibility also.
Forms of payment accepted are check and MO.

Thanks for looking.

s_49_01.jpg

s_49_02.jpg

Of course if you're in the selling mood there's another book in your collection you could sell to me :baiting:

Or, he could sell it to me, and I could sell mine back to you :foryou:

Get in line buster!

We have discussed this before, and I believe I am #1 in line :angel:

It won't matter at this point anyways, because that book is not up for sale :)

Of course if you're in the selling mood there's another book in your collection you could sell to me :baiting:

Get in line buster!

I have no recollection of that discussion. :devil:

>> You might be right

In my defense, I think the price is high, but not totally outrageous. It's an "always in demand" book and there are only a handful of high grade copies out there.

Plus, that amount is only about 7% above what this copy sold for 2 years ago.

gozer

Get in line buster!

I have no recollection of that discussion. :devil:

(: (thumbs u

>> You might be right

In my defense, I think the price is high, but not totally outrageous. It's an "always in demand" book and there are only a handful of high grade copies out there.

Plus, that amount is only about 7% above what this copy sold for 2 years ago.

gozer

It's a strong price but its also an amazing book in high grade and extremely desirable. Is there a more desirable Schomburg airbrush cover than that one?

I wish I had the scratch for it. Of course MegaMillions is about 150 mil right now so if I win it this weekend you've got yourself a buyer Gozer.

Is there a more desirable Schomburg airbrush cover than that one?

Yes, several in my opinion. :sumo:

I collect Schomburg airbrush covers, and I really have minimal interest in collecting the book.

However, I wish gozer good luck with the sale regardless. (thumbs u

I think there's consensus that Startling 49 is his best airbrush cover. It ranked high on the GA classic cover contest we ran in the forum, it was featured on the cover of Comic Book Marketplace, it was featured on the cover of the recent Schomburg coffee table book and it's listed in Overstreet and CGC as a classic cover. From personal experience I can tell you that there's been far more demand and interest in this book than any other Schomburg airbrush. Back in 1994 it used to guide for a price fairly similar to the others but I can remember how much "buzz" there was in convention rooms when a dealer had one for sale. Indeed it was the constant demand over a number of years that has driven it to the current price levels. Not only that but it's a book that almost always gets "oohs" and "ahhs" both here on the boards and in personal situations that I've witnessed.

We are all entitled to our own opinions of covers, but this is someone's sales thread and , therefore, it's probably better to present the hobby view.

Good luck on your sale!