• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine Line On DC Prestige Format Books

13 posts in this topic

Going through a buddy's copper age collection (thanks for help in that other thread, guys) ... and I've come across some prestige format DCs, which I haven't come across before.

There's a line up and down the spine on the front and back maybe a quarter-inch or less in from the edge. It looks like it's supposed to be part of the book to make opening the thick card-like cover ... but I wanted to make sure.

Again, thanks in advance ...

Going through a buddy's copper age collection (thanks for help in that other thread, guys) ... and I've come across some prestige format DCs, which I haven't come across before.

There's a line up and down the spine on the front and back maybe a quarter-inch or less in from the edge. It looks like it's supposed to be part of the book to make opening the thick card-like cover ... but I wanted to make sure.

Again, thanks in advance ...

All the prestiges I have do have that line to protect the spine. The line is also on most of the DC trades as well. If its one of the Bat family books, I may own it and can check my copy.

Hope that helps.

They are both good reads. You have to be very careful when reading those type of deluxe books. If you bend that cover a little too much, that line will break color. If you hold them open faced, it saves the line from breaking, and keeps the spine stiff. Just for your info.

drx

Also If you are ever buying those type of books at a con, make sure you take them out of the sleeve and look at them. Iv'e seen dealers try to pawn sets of The Longbow Hunters, and The Dark Knight Retuns off as unread copies. The front seam may be intact, but the back seam can be broken, or reverse. Its from someone opening it up to far, or from being read. Also, when its bent too far and the seam is broke (front or back), its hard for the cover to lay flat on the book.

drx

On 7/25/2018 at 12:55 PM, Spawn1709 said:

Will CGC mark a book down if it has one of those spine lines? Like this one:

s-l1600.jpg.652f9cc46f59c641f5d8975d73ff0989.jpg

On 7/28/2018 at 2:25 AM, ninanina said:

Yes, they would have to consider any defect on the book in order to grade it properly. 

Let's be clear.  Color loss along that spine (from opening the book), yes, CGC will deduct for that.  Just having the line as it was produced, no.