• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding that BA book you just have to have...

8 posts in this topic

Where do you look? I know i've been trying my darndest to find one of those 18 copies or so that are found in the cgc census of shazam #1 9.8, or heck one of those non existant 9.8 #2's...

I figured since those GA and SA collectors have their big lists of dealers they go to, surely BA collectors have some go to guys?

Also does anyone else seem to find that BA books just aren't graded (not saying they're not out there) in high grade in large numbers?

Oh absolutely. I know there are many HG Bronze collections out there whose owners have never even considered slabbing them. I'd suggest the only collectors who have, and they are a small fraction, are the ones either curious of CGC grading or selling...

Jim

That was my intial thought, though the more i look for those HG raws the less i see them. Well, that's not true; i find many VF's or so. some NM's that look good, but the really nice 9.6/9.8's? had to find as ever :(

I think it's certainly a combo of grading fees + the large availability of solidly good raw books seems to serve not cgcing.

That was my intial thought, though the more i look for those HG raws the less i see them. Well, that's not true; i find many VF's or so. some NM's that look good, but the really nice 9.6/9.8's? had to find as ever :(

I think it's certainly a combo of grading fees + the large availability of solidly good raw books seems to serve not cgcing.

Agreed.

The difference between 9.4 and 9.6+ books is the difference of taking money and flushing it down the toilet or having just enough to order a large mocha at a Starbucks after including grading fees + shipping cost + and marketing time/effort.

Agreed.

The difference between 9.4 and 9.6+ books is the difference of taking money and flushing it down the toilet or having just enough to order a large mocha at a Starbucks after including grading fees + shipping cost + and marketing time/effort.

So you're saying that people don't do it because they can't make a decent profit margin on them?

Really the profit on raw books has got to be terrible... i see good 9.0 rangers going for jack all or not selling for $20. Yet a 9.6 is sold for...~80 with fees, i see. yes. Selling them graded at 9.4 is likely a big downer and at those higher levels, well nobody's grading them so i suppose you can sell them for your exorbitant fees.

I'd probably tack on Quality of Production as an issue. A lot of Bronze books (especially Marvel) tend to have problems with miswraps. A lot of higher grade books "seem" to have the back to front wrap that makes colour breaking stress marks a "non-issue". Perfect registration and perfect structural quality are a hard combo to find.