• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Comics Collecting ( $$$monetary) Dead?

22 posts in this topic

one difference between todays Modern comics, and the 80s Modern comics is that today you can buy a 9.8 right away. Meaning that there's a business plan identifying and slabbing 98s 99s and 10s before they even leave the case for sale to consumers..

Some comic s collectors dont even have to store and protect their new comics anymore. Just order them in HG.

very true. I mean personally, it is very difficult to get a 9.8 comic raw and then also get it to my lcs to send to cgc. That would mean the book has to travel, FROM the us, to australia, to my lcs, to me, back to my lcs, BACK to america and to cgc and then be graded 9.8 :)

Now, would i expect this to happen? Fat chance. It is much easier to just buy a 9.8 on ebay and send it over. Also i know i'd shop somewhere where they went out and slabbed the comics they day they arrived allowing me to buy a 9.8 at a given price in advance....hmmm now where to find THAT dealer.

All I've got to say is that you LCS must be bad at handling comics because I can usually buy some pristine copies at my LCS.

It doesn't matter how well my lcs handles comics, they could use kid gloves and robots for all it matters. When a book travels 5000 miles (twice) it is likely not to arrive in pristine condition. Especially when you consider all the people in between who will handle said book.

Well I'm in Canberra. Which means the comics probably go to Sydney first and then redirected here so that adds another step in the process. I'm telling you, the comics here are mostly in mint condition. Any wear I see is usually from people browsing the racks and picking them up for a closer look.