• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How are there ultra high grade Golden Age books around?

36 posts in this topic

Menace1.jpg

:takeit: If you do time payments......WOW. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My biggest regret of 2008.Metro had a copy missing pages for like 35 dollars.I spaced it out and it was gone.

I got INCREDIBLY lucky last year on eBAY....Ira Mishbane listed a sharp 5.0 with a BIN of $ 138 .My hands were shaking while I was logging in...I was sure someone would beat me to the punch. It's probably one of my favorite books in my collection. A couple more low grades have turned up on eBAY since....usually for more.That Menace run is tough....I've got # 6 on the way from www.goldustcomics.com to complete my mini run of # 1-6....the issues with Everett covers AND interiors.I may try to get the whole run...would still need # 7-11....and the 9 DOES have an Everett story hm GOD BLESS...

P.S. If Adamstrange's copy were slabbed....I bet it would fetch 3K.

Menace1.jpg

My biggest regret of 2008.Metro had a copy missing pages for like 35 dollars.I spaced it out and it was gone.

I got INCREDIBLY lucky last year on eBAY....Ira Mishbane listed a sharp 5.0 with a BIN of $ 138 .My hands were shaking while I was logging in...I was sure someone would beat me to the punch. It's probably one of my favorite books in my collection. A couple more low grades have turned up on eBAY since....usually for more.That Menace run is tough....I've got # 6 on the way from www.goldustcomics.com to complete my mini run of # 1-6....the issues with Everett covers AND interiors.I may try to get the whole run...would still need # 7-11....and the 9 DOES have an Everett story hm GOD BLESS...

It may not need to be slabbed.AS is one of those spot on graders that people trust.

Menace1.jpg

It may not need to be slabbed.AS is one of those spot on graders that people trust.

From the scan it looks 8.5 / 9.0.....and it's amazing it survived....I think most kids back then had to hide books like that outside lol GOD BLESS...

If I remember right I believe he said 9.0 or in that neighborhood.

The sharpness on the corners is unreal.I bet AS still pinches himself wen he looks at it....and he's got some phenomenal stuff.GOD BLESS...

The sharpness on the corners is unreal.I bet AS still pinches himself wen he looks at it....and he's got some phenomenal stuff.GOD BLESS...

I almost never go into detailed descriptions of grade of my books that I post because the standard terms and methods don't usually convey what makes a book appealing to me. For example, I did separate show-n-tell with board members (e.g Foolkiller at the NYC Show) of a few books and both remarked at how few surface impressions and surface wear there was on all the copies that they I brought with me. While I do factor that in when I grade a copy, I'm sure that when it comes down on whether I wish to buy a book I just pass on those with distracting surface wear, regardless of their technical grade, because they aren't as pretty.

Since there is so much interest and speculation in the grade on this copy I will say that it appears to me to be a vf/nm. The front cover is nm- but there is a small tear on the back cover that would bring it down to vf/nm. Except for the LL, the corners are extremely sharp and I do admit I find that very pleasing to look at. Unless I upgrade, I'm highly doubtful that I will ever know how CGC would grade it.

I do feel that some books are exceptional because of their rarity or condition and that, if you have one, you should feel privileged to own it. You are just the current caretaker and it's your responsibility to make sure that it stay as nice as possible until it is passed to the next guy.

I think Jimbo and I were spectulating on the grade because it is so beautiful.A true rarity unslabbed in this shape.You have posted some of your other books,and if I remember correctly,they were stunners also.

Dennis

Accidents happen :angel:

I think Jimbo and I were spectulating on the grade because it is so beautiful.A true rarity unslabbed in this shape.You have posted some of your other books,and if I remember correctly,they were stunners also.

Dennis

The Strange one has an eye for the most beautiful of funnybooks.

To look through his collection is truly a treat!

This got me to thinking (and I apologize if this has been all discussed out already) but when we get a significant natural disaster such as Katrina over a broad geographical area has anyone done any research on how many comics were lost (I know, I know let alone everything else). But I was curious if there had been stories/information shared when at least a few people said yeah lost my Action 1, my 3-AF 15s, my such and such key comic and/or entire collection.

Richard,BZ,and many others make this a fun and sharing site

Agreed! :headbang:

Dennis

Send me your collection adamstrange and I'll have a look through it... :devil:

Dennis

Send me your collection adamstrange and I'll have a look through it... :devil:

I'm sure if you wait by your mailbox you'll get a big package any day now (: