• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PayPal Cheapskates

52 posts in this topic

I'm lucky enough to have never had any problems with paypal in regards to money. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

While I PREFER a check or money order since it saves on the fees, I accept paypal as a convenience to buyers.

Oddly, I rarely bid on auctions that don't accept paypal. I'm a lazy [!@#%^&^] and if I can sit on my fat butt and pay from home I'm gonna do it. grin.gif

And while I occassionally receive a personal check or money order, I'd have to say 98% of the transactions I've done were completed via paypal.

One thing I will say: If you ship worldwide - paypal is a frickin' godsend. Not only due to the ease of payment, but also for the price increase! I currently have an auction up for a Logitech MOMO controller and other auctions I noted where the seller doesn't ship internationally ended for about 65-75, mine is currently 100.00! thumbsup2.gif

Well for my two cents on this whole thing, it all comes down to two people: the buyer and the seller. For the seller to get the best price, he has to make it as easy as possible for the buyer. This includes (but is certainly not limited to) type of payment. This is true for any retailer, online or not. For example, there is a local comics shop here in the city. Decent store, but I refuse to shop there for one reason. They have a minimum purchase for credit cards. Never mind the fact it is illegal, as a customer it is an inconvenience to me and drives me to competitors.

The more hurdles you put in front of customers, the less business you will receive, especially when you are selling something everyone else has.

If you have something unique, it is a completely different story. I like Heritage's auctions and I like their selection, but you can be damn sure that the only things I buy from them will be items I can't find at conventions or on ebay, due to the 15% juice. But on unique items, I will bite the bullet and pay the 15%, for lack of a better option.

As to Paypal, I hate it. I HATE it. I hate their monopolistic tactics and their (lack of) customer service. But, if the time comes for me to sell items on ebay, I will get a Paypal account so I can sell to a wider audience. It all comes down to mutual benefit. I benefit from using their service. I will not pass on the 3% juice to my customers.

What I don't understand are the sellers who only accept Paypal. I pass up on those auctions all the time, and they always seem to go for low prices to me. Why take the time and effort to do Paypal, and not at least accept money orders? The work involved in cashing a check is too much for some people? To each his own I guess, but those sellers will never see a dime from me. If I did use Paypal to buy, I certainly wouldn't buy from those who would pass on the surcharge to me if I had a choice, but sometimes the seller has the books to get the price and the type of payment he prefers. Not a good model to get repeat business, but sellers can be as short sighted as anyone......

It's like the only thing we have in Iowa as far as those types of stores are concerned. They even half like miniWal-Marts in the REALLY small Iowa tons, i.e. populations numbering in the thousands. tongue.gif

Brian

just saw on the news that Wal Mart stores will stop accepting debit cards with the mastercasd logo due too fees being to high.....cheapskates?

actually, they only stopped accepting signature debit cards...they still accept mastercard credit cards and debit cards that use a pin.

http://www.stockworld.de/msg/576448.html

Of course, those who accept only Bank Account transfers and DO NOT use the Credit Card Logos to fake-out buyers are cool, but most take the unethical route and promote services they do not accept.

That's what I used to do. I would use the Paypal logo, but not use the credit card ones. Then I would tell people that they would have to pay with a checking acct or acct balance if they wanted to use Paypal.

But it has become a major hassle because you wouldn't believe that the the overwelming majority of people have great difficulty grasping this concept. It's not that they are irrittated by it or find it unfair, it's that they don't understand what I mean. I guess it reminds me how most people are computer illiterate and don't really understand the finer points of Paypal or anything else, most likely.

Anyway, I've more or less abandoned that strategy unless it is a very expensive book. However, in that cost people feel like they are more protected using a credit card to buy something expensive and it might really irritate them...damn Paypal fees...

just saw on the news that Wal Mart stores will stop accepting debit cards with the mastercasd logo due too fees being to high.....cheapskates? blush.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I'm glad my check card is Visa! grin.gif