• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration removal question

6 posts in this topic

Specifically regarding glue on GA/PA books.

A cover that has been reatteched with glue = RESTORED, duh

.. but what about a cover that was reattached with glue and has since come unattached again? The book could have telltale staining on the cover at the spine and/or on the spine of the first wrap. How would CGC label this?

Thanks!

Specifically regarding glue on GA/PA books.

A cover that has been reatteched with glue = RESTORED, duh

.. but what about a cover that was reattached with glue and has since come unattached again? The book could have telltale staining on the cover at the spine and/or on the spine of the first wrap. How would CGC label this?

Thanks!

Just checking, do you mean the glue was applied to the staple areas? Or do you mean litterally a run of glue along the spine of the interior cover and first wrap?

Just checking, do you mean the glue was applied to the staple areas? Or do you mean litterally a run of glue along the spine of the interior cover and first wrap?

A run of glue (or something wet) down the entire spine. I'll drop the hypotheticals, of course I'm asking about an actual book.. and I'm having a (so far friendly) dispute with the dealer regarding whether this is a restored book or not. It was sold as unrestored.

Not sure what kind of glue it is/was.. wasn't strong enough to last 60+ years and all that's left is a stain on the interior cover, and some bleed through to spine of the first two wraps. A couple spots near the spine on the interior cover are still adhered to the face of the first wrap, but strangely enough, the spine is completely free. There is also some minor 'tape pull'-like evidence where the adhesive on the cover pulled off a thin layer of the first wrap.

The dealer thinks it's just water damage because it doesn't feel stiff like a glued cover. I don't buy that. There's no staining on the outside of the cover at all.. just the inside. Someone intentionally reattached the cover. Not sure what kind of "glue" it was.. could be spit for all I know.

It seems that my choices are: keep the book as-is, or send to CGC and if it comes back purple return it for a refund (having spent the cost of express CGC submission), or (as the dealer suggested) have a restoration expert detach the cover completely and then it will no longer be considered restored. I found this last part hard to believe.. that's why I'm asking about it here.

It seems that my choices are: keep the book as-is, or send to CGC and if it comes back purple return it for a refund (having spent the cost of express CGC submission), or (as the dealer suggested) have a restoration expert detach the cover completely and then it will no longer be considered restored. I found this last part hard to believe.. that's why I'm asking about it here.

It's my understanding that they have to remove the "restoration" as well... So surely this would mean detaching the cover, and removing the glue holding said cover together without using any sort of chemical or it would come back restored, so essentially getting them to cut it off really carefully? After all a cover that has been glued together to stop a big ole tear is still a restored cover if it's detached.

At least that's my understanding from having read a bit of the cgc sponsored resto man site, of which i considered buying a crappy key and having extensive restoring done for display...

A run of glue (or something wet) down the entire spine. I'll drop the hypotheticals, of course I'm asking about an actual book.. and I'm having a (so far friendly) dispute with the dealer regarding whether this is a restored book or not. It was sold as unrestored.

Not sure what kind of glue it is/was.. wasn't strong enough to last 60+ years and all that's left is a stain on the interior cover, and some bleed through to spine of the first two wraps. A couple spots near the spine on the interior cover are still adhered to the face of the first wrap, but strangely enough, the spine is completely free. There is also some minor 'tape pull'-like evidence where the adhesive on the cover pulled off a thin layer of the first wrap.

The dealer thinks it's just water damage because it doesn't feel stiff like a glued cover. I don't buy that. There's no staining on the outside of the cover at all.. just the inside. Someone intentionally reattached the cover. Not sure what kind of "glue" it was.. could be spit for all I know.

Sounds like exactly what you think it is. Somebody put glue the interior spine and stuck the cover on.(photos would of course help) And in the course of opening and closing the book it tore away parts of the first wrap, and utimately failed leaving behind the glue.

I take it this seller is not going to refund the book as is until he hears anothers opinion? How about sending it to Matt or Susan to have it checked, might be cheaper. Or did he put a time limit on how long you had to have it checked out?

And as Mikey said even if the cover was seperated it would still have glue all over the place sealing minor tears I assume.

If I understand you correctly,the seller sounds like he is skirting around the issue hoping you just keep the book raw?