• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Updating Our Website. Thoughts??

38 posts in this topic

http://www.hotflips.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_14&products_id=116

So ... regular poly comic book bags are now both "acid free" and "archival safe"? :screwy:

Wow, i see you have a lot to do with your life. :applause: Why dont you tell the other manufacturers that their bags aren't either?? I suppose their poly bags are and only mine aren't?? Check the competition and report back to me. Instead of trolling me because you dont like me for some odd reason, go look at every comic supply manufacturer and have them change their packaging.

:news: WE ALL GET OUR PLASTIC FROM THE SAME PLACE IN CHINA!!

Dude, go have a drink and back off me already.

Jeff

So ... just because the other companies that sell poly bags lie, it's ok for you to do it as well?

:news:

Here's a little newsflash for ya: bags made of polypropylene are NOT acid free, nor are they archival safe. It doesn't matter which brand of poly bags you use - they degrade and release gasses over time, unlike the Mylar products that you also sell (which are actually archival safe).

You know, i really think you enjoy hearing yourself talk. By placing this gremlin :screwy: in your original post, i take it as an insult. Now you are getting personal. So, for someone who has never ordered from me, never met me, dont even know me, and the fact i am in your hometown of Chicago every year and encouraged you to come talk to me, you seem to have a lot of opinions about me. I guess you dont know what its like to get your order shipped on time, or have great customer service. Talk about :screwy:

Why post in this thread about stuff that you have an agenda on. You clearly dont even have any constructive critism for me, but would rather defame me and my company to go buy from another company that sells the same (but most likely less quality) products.

Get a life. I take care of my customers very well. I dont need you as a customer so i have no problem telling you to take a hike SHILL. You are embarrassing yourself again, so please STOP TROLLING ME!!

Oh, by the way. I know someone with a Sandman #1 and #2 in 9.8 but im not gonna pass him on to these message boards as i dont want him to have the headache of dealing with you.

I actually bought supplies from you in WW Chicago this year (thumbs u

And how am I trolling you? You start a post asking for feedback about your website, I respond by posting that your product information is factually incorrect, and instead of saying "hey, good catch - we'll get that changed", you go completely off your rocker.

I have no beef whatsoever with you apart from your bogus claim that your polypropylene bags are acid free/archival safe - and I honestly find it amazing that for someone who actually sells the real deal (Gerber mylars), why it would be so hard to understand that:

Poly bags = not archival safe

Mylar bags = archival safe

So ... just out of curiosity, in what way am I "embarrassing" myself by posting this fact?

So ... regular poly comic book bags are now both "acid free" and "archival safe"? :screwy:

Wow, i see you have a lot to do with your life. :applause: Why dont you tell the other manufacturers that their bags aren't either?? I suppose their poly bags are and only mine aren't?? Check the competition and report back to me. Instead of trolling me because you dont like me for some odd reason, go look at every comic supply manufacturer and have them change their packaging.

Jeff

So ... just because the other companies that sell poly bags lie, it's ok for you to do it as well?

Here's a little newsflash for ya: bags made of polypropylene are NOT acid free, nor are they archival safe. It doesn't matter which brand of poly bags you use - they degrade and release gasses over time, unlike the Mylar products that you also sell (which are actually archival safe).

You know, i really think you enjoy hearing yourself talk. By placing this gremlin :screwy: in your original post, i take it as an insult. Now you are getting personal. So, for someone who has never ordered from me, never met me, dont even know me, and the fact i am in your hometown of Chicago every year and encouraged you to come talk to me, you seem to have a lot of opinions about me. I guess you dont know what its like to get your order shipped on time, or have great customer service. Talk about :screwy:

Why post in this thread about stuff that you have an agenda on. You clearly dont even have any constructive critism for me, but would rather defame me and my company to go buy from another company that sells the same (but most likely less quality) products.

Get a life. I take care of my customers very well. I dont need you as a customer so i have no problem telling you to take a hike SHILL. You are embarrassing yourself again, so please STOP TROLLING ME!!

Oh, by the way. I know someone with a Sandman #1 and #2 in 9.8 but im not gonna pass him on to these message boards as i dont want him to have the headache of dealing with you.

And how am I trolling you? You start a post asking for feedback about your website, I respond by posting that your product information is factually incorrect, and instead of saying "hey, good catch - we'll get that changed", you go completely off your rocker.

I have no beef whatsoever with you apart from your bogus claim that your polypropylene bags are acid free/archival safe - and I honestly find it amazing that for someone who actually sells the real deal (Gerber mylars), why it would be so hard to understand that:

So ... just out of curiosity, in what way am I "embarrassing" myself by posting this fact?

Funny how you didnt introduce yourself to me in WW Chicago. This thread was, as you can see, is not about products, but how to make it more consumer friendly. Every thread that someone mentions me, you have only bad things to say. If im so bad, why buy from me in Chicago??

Polybags are made of archival quality material . They are meant for short-term storage. In which, i have said previously in all of the times you felt you needed to chime in.

Mylar bags are made of archival materials that are made for long-term storage.

Again, please stop trolling, that is why you are embarrassing yourself. By responding to everything i say it proves this.

Do you contact all the other manufacturers as well?? Or just me, because i am here??

Jeff

Funny how you didnt introduce yourself to me in WW Chicago. This thread was, as you can see, is not about products, but how to make it more consumer friendly. Every thread that someone mentions me, you have only bad things to say. If im so bad, why buy from me in Chicago??

Polybags are made of archival quality material . They are meant for short-term storage. In which, i have said previously in all of the times you felt you needed to chime in.

Mylar bags are made of archival materials that are made for long-term storage.

Again, please stop trolling, that is why you are embarrassing yourself. By responding to everything i say it proves this.

Do you contact all the other manufacturers as well?? Or just me, because i am here??

Why would I introduce myself to you? I saw your booth, grabbed the supplies I needed, paid & was on my way ... like I said previously, I have no problem with you nor your business, just your inaccurate claims about your products.

The definition of "archival safe" is something that's meant for long-term storage (hence the word "archival"). Poly bags are meant for short-term shorage because they aren't acid free, nor archival safe - seriously, this is comic book supplies 101.

If BCW or Ultra-Pro came on this board & hawked their wares, I'd totally call them out on their bogus claims as well - but they haven't. You, on the other hand, have and do.

And, btw, I think you have your definitions mixed up - I'm "replying", not "trolling" which, oddly enough, happens a lot around here.

Ok, the definition "archival safe" that you made if what you percieve it to be. It is not the norm. If it were the norm, then I and all the other companies wouldnt use it as such. But because that is what it means to you, i guess every comppany should stop the presses. Sorry but that is the way you are coming off.

BCW and Ultra-Pro are not here. And they are not making bogus claims either. I guess you feel like you can sleep better now.

And btw, you are not replying, you are trolling. This thread is not about products. It is about a website. You have an agenda against me. Maybe because, i provide good service and that is not something you are used to getting.

Look, all i can say is this. Im not saying you are totally wrong, but i am not saying you are totally right either. There is much more to it than you think you know.

This is why i sell both. If you dont like it, dont buy from me. But, if you feel like you should make statements based on my products, you should also include all manufacturers too.

Thats it, im done. I got orders to process and get shipped out in a timely fashion. Then its time to go home. Whatever time that will be tonight.

We are making changes to our website. Just want to know what you guys think. Thoughts, input, any info would be appreciated. We are trying to make it easier to navigate and all that good stuff.

Here is the link: http://www.hotflips.com/

We have already made some changes. Let us know what you think and what you think we can do to make it better.

Thanks everyone!!

Jeff and Charles.

I was very happy in dealing with HOTFLIPS on some Treasury Sized bags and boards I bought a while back. Purely for the purpose of relaying (what I hope will be construed as) helpful feedback, the only thing worth nothing is that some of the thicker Marvel Treasuries fit too snug with the bag and board, and so I have to find an alternative for those guys. Otherwise very happy with my purchase and the customer service. (thumbs u

As far as the site is concerned, I wanted to show you guys something that could help you gain some perspective on layout. I think the site appropriately uses the horizontal real estate very well, but vertically there is quite a bit to have to scroll down on. Some users tend to frown upon this (kind of like having to pan across when someone posts a very large scan of their comic on these boards) and what it might lead to is a visitor altogether not bothering to look at what is happening below what is reffered to as the "visible" area of the site.

One approach you may want to think about is tightening up all the content below the visible area of the page - a snapshot below shows you what I see when I visit the site without doing any vertical scrolling:

Snapshot of visible area:

hotflips_vis.jpg

My only additional suggestion would be to place a quick search field somewhere on the main page - maybe just below the "Home Page" and "Product Page" links, and above the left menu links. Search is your friend and the most powerful lead generating tool today, and even though there is a link at the top menu, its one of those features that really improves accessibility and reducing the need to link is one of those things that will help connect your customers to your products faster and easier. This is not a big deal in terms of programming because all the logic is already built, and all you are doing is replicating the logic as a code snippet and placing it on the main page.

Below is a snapshot of the full page view (if you could reduce everything below the visible area to about half of the vertical space it currently occupies, that would really tidy up the navigation). Again, no real knock against usability and functionality, but its one of those aspects of polishing a site that often gets misdirected on the accents and glitz.

NOTE: I know someone already mentioned it, but those errors might be easily corrected by commenting out lines 261-263.

Snapshot of entire page view:

hotflips.jpg

I don't know what's going on with the two of you guys, but Poly bags are not archival safe. :sumo:

Mylars are :sumo:

And please stop bothering Jeff people. Could you maybe have taken this to PM? And not done this in a public forum..

A little class goes a LOOOONG way in life.

And Jeff you are still a PUNK!! lol

We are making changes to our website. Just want to know what you guys think. Thoughts, input, any info would be appreciated. We are trying to make it easier to navigate and all that good stuff.

Here is the link: http://www.hotflips.com/

We have already made some changes. Let us know what you think and what you think we can do to make it better.

Thanks everyone!!

Jeff and Charles.

I was very happy in dealing with HOTFLIPS on some Treasury Sized bags and boards I bought a while back. Purely for the purpose of relaying (what I hope will be construed as) helpful feedback, the only thing worth nothing is that some of the thicker Marvel Treasuries fit too snug with the bag and board, and so I have to find an alternative for those guys. Otherwise very happy with my purchase and the customer service. (thumbs u

As far as the site is concerned, I wanted to show you guys something that could help you gain some perspective on layout. I think the site appropriately uses the horizontal real estate very well, but vertically there is quite a bit to have to scroll down on. Some users tend to frown upon this (kind of like having to pan across when someone posts a very large scan of their comic on these boards) and what it might lead to is a visitor altogether not bothering to look at what is happening below what is reffered to as the "visible" area of the site.

One approach you may want to think about is tightening up all the content below the visible area of the page - a snapshot below shows you what I see when I visit the site without doing any vertical scrolling:

Snapshot of visible area:

hotflips_vis.jpg

My only additional suggestion would be to place a quick search field somewhere on the main page - maybe just below the "Home Page" and "Product Page" links, and above the left menu links. Search is your friend and the most powerful lead generating tool today, and even though there is a link at the top menu, its one of those features that really improves accessibility and reducing the need to link is one of those things that will help connect your customers to your products faster and easier. This is not a big deal in terms of programming because all the logic is already built, and all you are doing is replicating the logic as a code snippet and placing it on the main page.

Below is a snapshot of the full page view (if you could reduce everything below the visible area to about half of the vertical space it currently occupies, that would really tidy up the navigation). Again, no real knock against usability and functionality, but its one of those aspects of polishing a site that often gets misdirected on the accents and glitz.

NOTE: I know someone already mentioned it, but those errors might be easily corrected by commenting out lines 261-263.

Snapshot of entire page view:

hotflips.jpg

Thank you. That is exactly the input i was looking for. Very helpful. Thank you,

Jeff

I don't know what's going on with the two of you guys, but Poly bags are not archival safe. :sumo:

Mylars are :sumo:

And please stop bothering Jeff people. Could you maybe have taken this to PM? And not done this in a public forum..

A little class goes a LOOOONG way in life.

And Jeff you are still a PUNK!! lol

Of course mylars are. That why they are the best. I agree with you Pat, some people just lack it though.

Thanks Punk!!

Regardless of what he has described on his website, anyone should know poly bags will need to be replaced eventually.

At least, if you're a collector, and are using bags.

Hell, I learned the difference by asking the owner of Kenmore Komics in Akron OH.

BTW, my feedback on the site:

1. News from 2005 is probably no longer relevant.

2. Too many pics on the initial page; you may want to test load times to be web-friendly.

3. Distracting images (especially with animation) detract from the goal of the site; selling stuff.

Otherwise, :thumbsup:

BTW, my feedback on the site:

1. News from 2005 is probably no longer relevant.

2. Too many pics on the initial page; you may want to test load times to be web-friendly.

3. Distracting images (especially with animation) detract from the goal of the site; selling stuff.

Otherwise, :thumbsup:

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I thought the flaming guy winking and the dancing superheroes was kinda fun though. ill try to tone it down. Thanks,

Jeff

It may have already been stated....but I'd like to see links to all the other CGC forum on the same page I'm on......(like here) so I don't have to go out into the main lobby to switch to Golden Age or Buddy can you spare a grade.

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I thought the flaming guy winking and the dancing superheroes was kinda fun though. ill try to tone it down. Thanks,

Jeff

It may be 'kinda fun', but honestly it comes across a little cheesy. Animated .gifs, especially five in a row like the dancing superheroes, remind me (and others, I'm sure) of a Geocities webpage from 1996. I agree with the earlier post about managing the 'space' better, it just seems kind of spread out when you could compact it a lot. Finally, I would move at least the latest news post to the very top...I didn't know about the holiday specials until I read about it here. I didn't scroll down because I didn't KNOW there was a news section. If you put the latest news up top, you could do it in just one line if you wanted, like:

December 8, 2008, We are having a Holiday special on Selected Comic Book & Sportscard Supply Items (read more) <---clickable link

The front page could benefit from a general overhaul by a talented web/graphic designer, and I bet there are a few on these boards. Maybe you could work out some kind of trade/discount as payment so everyone's happy!

Many different size images on the front page could look better if uniformed. I'd also agree on the the animated gifs and their cheezyness. Many clickable links are doubled with the same link on top of each other. EX. http://www.hotflips.com/index.php?cPath=87_88

Also just an idea but you get a lot of many big collectors buying from your site and you have small comic for sale section but have you thought of utilizing that traffic by pairing with a dealer?

Many different size images on the front page could look better if uniformed. I'd also agree on the the animated gifs and their cheezyness. Many clickable links are doubled with the same link on top of each other. EX. http://www.hotflips.com/index.php?cPath=87_88

Also just an idea but you get a lot of many big collectors buying from your site and you have small comic for sale section but have you thought of utilizing that traffic by pairing with a dealer?

I think the doubling up of the links is cause by certain browsers... hm

Jeff are you using oscommerce scripts? I had the same problem a while back with the doubling up of the links in firefox but it's fine in IR.