• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody know about cleaning and pressing?

36 posts in this topic

I had once seen a website for some ladies comic cleaning and pressing business. I have no clue what site it is, but I'm sure this is the place to ask. She had a feature on the site where you swipe your mouse across the book's image and compare it before and after.

Anywho, I can't remember the place and I'm sure some people here have to know site for places like that.

Reason I ask is because I have an issue of ASM #129 that I'd like to get cleaned and pressed. From what I saw on the site it's a prime candidate for this process and could be made to look much better than it is now.

Anyone also know the costs? Thanks!

You are thinking of Susan C. And The Restoration Lab. But I do not think she offers dry clean and pressing as a stand alone services unless they are part of other restoration working being done on the book.

And the rollover scans on her website are indeed slick.

You are thinking of Susan C. And The Restoration Lab. But I do not think she offers dry clean and pressing as a stand alone services unless they are part of other restoration working being done on the book.

And the rollover scans on her website are indeed slick.

Thanks!

Bummer, I really don't want to get it "restored". I mean, it is a victim of those leaky blue printers Marvel back then, but that's doesn't bother me too much. I really just want it to get clean up a bit.

Susan is against pressing just to bump the grade of a book. She will not do it. She considers it restoration. As do I and a few others. Matt Nelson will do a good job for you though..

See, I think that's odd though because at her site she does offer just a cleaning and pressing separate from any other restoration. That's not the reason why I'm doing it, I'd just like a nice looking copy and being a poor college student makes it hard to buy one, but if she's against that why advertise that a VG can be made into VF just by cleaning and pressing?

Also, I thought that as long as no physical alterations were made to the book from it's original condition, its not considered to be restoration by CGC standards, am I incorrect?

Thanks for the link by the way, guys! I appreciate it!

Tomega's correct, and this book is not what I pictured when you said you had a book that you wanted to "clean and press". Nor is it the type of thing Susan would be talking about in reference to a VG going to a VF. That would involve Wet washing, which is of course a form of restoration. Dry cleaning and pressing are not considered resto unto themselves by CGC, but dry cleaning would not even touch the ink stains on this book(nor would wet washing completely remove them for that matter)

So I think this book best be one you leave as is and save up for a better copy.

2c

Thanks for the replies!

Actually, that scan makes this book lot a LOT better than it actually is.

I know the blue ink is there permanently, and like I said it really doesn't bother me, but what's not really visible is all of the surface grime that's on it, from fingerprints to dirt. Also not visible are a lot of the creases, folds and indents on the front and back covers. The slight rippling of the back cover due to some moisture exposure.

I don't want to do it to increase the value, and I don't want to do anything that is considered restoration to it. I just really want to do it because I'll never be able to afford one in overall better condition than this anytime soon, so I want this one to get as nice visually as I can. Ink doesn't bother me, dirt and grime does however.

well - if it'll make you feel better - I say go for it! I think that the process would make the book a little more eye appealing. It certainly wont bump the grade very much at all - but that's not what your after.

It is quite expensive though for a book like that...imhp

Tomega's correct, and this book is not what I pictured when you said you had a book that you wanted to "clean and press". Nor is it the type of thing Susan would be talking about in reference to a VG going to a VF. That would involve Wet washing, which is of course a form of restoration. Dry cleaning and pressing are not considered resto unto themselves by CGC, but dry cleaning would not even touch the ink stains on this book(nor would wet washing completely remove them for that matter)

So I think this book best be one you leave as is and save up for a better copy.

2c

Agreed - sell it on eBay and save up for a better copy. :wishluck:

Susan is against pressing just to bump the grade of a book. She will not do it. She considers it restoration. As do I and a few others. Matt Nelson will do a good job for you though..

See, I think that's odd though because at her site she does offer just a cleaning and pressing separate from any other restoration. That's not the reason why I'm doing it, I'd just like a nice looking copy and being a poor college student makes it hard to buy one, but if she's against that why advertise that a VG can be made into VF just by cleaning and pressing?

Also, I thought that as long as no physical alterations were made to the book from it's original condition, its not considered to be restoration by CGC standards, am I incorrect?

Thanks for the link by the way, guys! I appreciate it!

Well, I may be wrong but it IS possible Susan may offer clean/press as a service. I know that Susan will not offer an intact (aka non disassembled). But cleaning/pressing I believe she will do.

For the record,. I still consider even just pressing (if it goes beyond uncurlig with your finger) restoration. As well as cleaning.

Most of you guy's know that ASM 129 is my all time favorite book .I have seen a few that have the over spray on them. But this book is the exception, not the rule. I do own one that is actually worse than this book. It is the reason I bought the book actually. Most that do have this dist. over spray are not this bad. I think the drunker this guy got. The worse the over spray became.

That is not "distributor ink". Distributor ink is the little stripe of various colors on the top edge of the book. They used that stripe to tell what books needed to be pulled by just glancing at the top of the books on the newsstand.

That blue ink around the edges is from a book that was returned. Probably overstock that didn't sell, and was pulled to put the new issue on the stands.

That is not "distributor ink". Distributor ink is the little stripe of various colors on the top edge of the book. They used that stripe to tell what books needed to be pulled by just glancing at the top of the books on the newsstand.

That blue ink around the edges is from a book that was returned. Probably overstock that didn't sell, and was pulled to put the new issue on the stands.

(thumbs u that was done at the store level,not from the dist.