• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You never know...

13 posts in this topic

...when you will run into work by a comic artist. I am getting my MBA at Vanderbilt and I had a meeting today in the main building. I went to get a drink at one of the water fountains and happened to glance at a portrait of one of the former deans hanging on the wall. It was signed Everett Raymond Kinstler. I looked closer, and he had done several scattered around the building. Pretty cool, as I wasn't aware he had done work outside of comics. Wish I had a camera so I could take some pictures.

Great story. Closest thing like that I remember was coming out to Cal for orientation and discovering a Diego Rivera mural in one of the dorms. Very unexpected, but not a comics guy.

When we were at Flessel's apartment FFB discovered that Creig had illustrated some children's books (adaptations of classic novels) in the 70s that Scott had grown up with.

Great story. Closest thing like that I remember was coming out to Cal for orientation and discovering a Diego Rivera mural in one of the dorms. Very unexpected, but not a comics guy.

When we were at Flessel's apartment FFB discovered that Creig had illustrated some children's books (adaptations of classic novels) in the 70s that Scott had grown up with.

Very cool. I wonder how much overlap there is between comics and kid's books. I remember reading a book called The Secrets of the Samurai over and over again when I was in grade school and loving the illustrations. I picked it up again a few years ago and re-read it (it's a great basic text on fuedal Japan) and noticed that the art was by Alex Nino.

Hey Andy :hi:

Everett Raymond Kinstler became a very well known portrait artist after his time in comics. He did two or three (or maybe more?) of the presidential portraits hanging in The White House!

His website www.everettraymondkinstler.com

Yeah, Vandy had a disappointing second half to the season after a stellar start. I don't really care that much though, not a big college football fan...much more into the pros.

Adam Strange PMed me about the presidential portraits. Guess he was pretty famous!

Very cool. I wonder how much overlap there is between comics and kid's books. I remember reading a book called The Secrets of the Samurai over and over again when I was in grade school and loving the illustrations. I picked it up again a few years ago and re-read it (it's a great basic text on fuedal Japan) and noticed that the art was by Alex Nino.

Louis Glanzman illustrated Pippi Longstocking :luhv:

A number of late 50s, early 60s books were done by comic artists that had trouble after the code and comics implosion. There was a kid's encyclopedia full of EC artists' illos as some biographies of famous folks targeted for young folks drawn by the same. I'll scan some later.

Louis Glanzman illustrated Pippi Longstocking :luhv:

A number of late 50s, early 60s books were done by comic artists that had trouble after the code and comics implosion. There was a kid's encyclopedia full of EC artists' illos as some biographies of famous folks targeted for young folks drawn by the same. I'll scan some later.

So imagine my thrill when I tracked Glanzman down and had him do the recreation of Amazing Man 15. It is poster size with great colors. He was in comics only for a short time......jb

70261.jpg.a693683d6820624ebfac1ba3f5dd7970.jpg

Hey Andy :hi:

Everett Raymond Kinstler became a very well known portrait artist after his time in comics. He did two or three (or maybe more?) of the presidential portraits hanging in The White House!

His website www.everettraymondkinstler.com

and did a lot of nifty covers....

70262.jpg.6cc581e74d9f2a6779cb1f0fca97344f.jpg

70263.jpg.71df2583e57011c31d168ba3ae10467a.jpg

I remember when I was a kid and just starting to get into Edgar Rice Burroughs and finding that the covers for the new Tarzan paperbacks (Ballantine, I believe) were painted by Neal Adams, who was already one of my favorite comic book artists.