• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

Hey Pokerkid, what's the story behind your playing card niche?

I used to play a fair amount of poker - all amateur and mostly for fun. I played well enough to pay for college when I had to quit work about five years back when I went from being a newspaper editor to being a teacher but needed to get a masters and student teach first. (Because going from $80K a year to $40K a year wasn't hard enough.)

I have a poker library in the home - poker books, memorabilia, poker chips, etc. so one day I was goofing around on eBay and I saw a Batman #11 (CGC 7.0 restored). I decided to put in a thrill bid and I ended up winning the dang thing. I hadn't bought a serious comic in 25 years. It was my only comic for several months, but then I stumbled on the idea of adding a couple more for the poker library, and the comic bug bit me and I was hooked again.

Now my poker tattoos, that's another story. (And enough to get me about 3 seconds of air time during one of my WSOP trips so they could make fun of them on "The Nuts" segment.)

I guess it's time for some 23s

Pep 23. Second appearance of Archie

I think it's amazing that Archie first appeared in a superhero comic. Here's a question for those who are knowledgeable about these things: was Archie the first of his type (teenage humor figure)? Or were there predecessors?

Archie wasn't even the first teen humor strip from MLJ. That distinction goes to Wilbur who debuted in Zip #18 a couple of months before Pep #22 was published. The popular teen humor newspaper comic strip Harold Teen began in 1919, so predates Archie by quite some time.