• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

I guess it's time for some 23s

Yup

Very few here

bldiamwest23.jpg

Marvel Graphic Novel 23

margraphicshamballa.jpg

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis 23

dobiegillis23.jpg

Doc Magnus plays doctor on Metal Men 23.

metal230001.jpg

Ooops. I was so excited about Blue Beetle 22 that I missed Animal Antics 21 and 22.

AA21.jpg

AA22.jpg

I'll try to see what else is in reach to scan later.

Jack

I guess it's time for some 23s

Pep 23. Second appearance of Archie

I think it's amazing that Archie first appeared in a superhero comic. Here's a question for those who are knowledgeable about these things: was Archie the first of his type (teenage humor figure)? Or were there predecessors?

Archie wasn't even the first teen humor strip from MLJ. That distinction goes to Wilbur who debuted in Zip #18 a couple of months before Pep #22 was published. The popular teen humor newspaper comic strip Harold Teen began in 1919, so predates Archie by quite some time.

Thanks for the info.

ht23.jpg

Weird how Schomburg totally ignored scale on many of these Where's Waldo covers. There's not really a giant Torch in the story, is there? How big is Toro supposed to be?

Jack

Toro looks like he's in correct proportion to the mad scientists. The Torch, on the other hand, looks like he may be a case of: old habits die hard. (shrug) This cover is from '46? It could just be a stylistic hold-over from the war.

(from allposters)

72752.jpg.da841ce0f9cc0b736aabb85c51b54a90.jpg