• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

vault31g.jpg

Beautiful book, and one I don't see much.

Ray Bradbury, America's top horror writer! I never heard him commonly associated with the genre. Was this a bit of EC hype or was there a time when he was widely recognized as a horror writer as well as Sci-Fi?

That's a good question. I never actually noticed that it said "America's top HORROR writer". I found these 2 tidbits on Wikipedia that were interesting -

Although he is often described as a science fiction writer, Bradbury does not box himself into a particular narrative categorization:

First of all, I don't write science fiction. I've only done one science fiction book and that's Fahrenheit 451, based on reality. Science fiction is a depiction of the eal. Fantasy is a depiction of the unreal. So Martian Chronicles is not science fiction, it's fantasy. It couldn't happen, you see? That's the reason it's going to be around a long time—because it's a Greek myth, and myths have staying power.

Adaptations

From 1951 to 1954, 27 of Bradbury's stories were adapted by Al Feldstein for EC Comics, and 16 of these were collected in the paperbacks, The Autumn People (1965) and Tomorrow Midnight (1966). Cover art for both books was done by famed fantasy artist Frank Frazetta.

One of my favorite 50's covers.

Rex31.jpg

31-derful!

Slim 31 selection -- scanned books, anyway, Here are a few.

Mystic 31. I still haven't guessed. At least it's pre-code.

mystic31.jpg

WAU 31 -- tribute to Sarah Palin.

wau31.jpg

I'll add a modern The Legion 31 from the local cheapo bin.

And you thought Silver Age covers were silly. Would someone really pay $2.50 for this?

Legion31.jpg

Jack