• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

T-Man 38. Last issue. Cuidera cover, as far as I know.

tman38.jpg

I like T-Man - probably because the same great artists who did Blackhawk draw him - but it is one of the hardest books I have seen to find in higher grades, regardless of the issue.

Is this a reprint of #14 or are these Bavarians a constant cause for trouble???

tman14.jpg

Good eye!

They're both at the Golden Age UK site, and 38 reprints the story from 14.

But you're right -- once those Bavarians finish their second liter of Weißbier at breakfast, nothing but trouble. :D

Jack

Showcase39-1.jpg

Such a great copy, there's no reason to post mine.

You'd never know it's the first appearance of Chemo from the cover, would you? The cover colorist still doesn't quite have the style sheet down -- metal colors are still off (especially Gold). If that hand is supposed to be Chemo's, it should be green and bubbly.

Odd tic-tac-toe game on the warehouse windows.

Jack

MIS39.jpg

Interesting how similar this cover is to MiS #38 (the Famous Funnies #214 swipe) and MiS #34. The "planet Earth in peril" cover theme was one of DC's big sellers, like purple covers and gorillas.

Jack

Let's get started with # 39. First one is the one Seank was mentioning and the last one is a favorite of mine. Parker has a much better copy. Maybe we'll see his :wishluck: -

73753.jpg

The quintessential Scrooge cover -- native hottie in flowered dress pouring gold coins on her ample chest, octopus, etc. Have you considered chasing after one of the top copies of this book?

Jack

Just a few scanned

Mystery Tales 39. Interesting limited-palette coloring. One of the better post-code covers, scary without showing anything blatant.

mysterytales39.jpg

Gang Busters 39

gangbusters39x.jpg

and the variant cover.

gangbusterbunny.jpg

Jack

3171741685_e08c1269d1_o.jpg

Great cover! GCD says Lloyd White -- why am I drawing a blank on that name?

Looks like he worked anonymously at Dell for decades. I bet that "funny animals" credit covers a lot of artwork.

WHITE, LLOYD

Name and vital stats

WHITE, LLOYD (artist)

DELL PUBLICATIONS

Cartoon / funny animals (pen/ink/) c1945-c52 > 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

HOMER PIGEON (pen/ink/) c1945-c52 > 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

JOHNNY MOLE (pen/ink/) 1945 > 45

OSWALD THE RABBIT (pen/ink/) c1945-52 > 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

TOM AND JERRY (pen/) 1945 > 45

TUBBY (pen/ink/) 1955-57- > 55 56 57

WESTERN PUBLISHING

MODNIKS, THE (pen/ink/) c1968 > 68