• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

I only have a few # 50 -

What an exquisite copy! You must have had to wait months for it (or at least it seemed that way). :grin:

74353.jpg

Classic Wertham "fetich" cover! Nice, bright colors too.

Perfect example of its genre and era. GCD says

Joe Doolin; Jack Kamen? (on Tiger Girl) (Pencils) Joe Doolin; Iger Shop (on Tiger Girl) (Inks)

Maybe one reason it's so eye-catching is that the central figure doesn't quite match the background. (Yeah, I know there's another reason.)

74354.jpg

Fantastic Reed Crandall Blackhawk cover! Wonderful colors.

I have a few in this range, but this has to be one of the best -- maybe as good as the classic War Wheel (#56 -- I hope I can find mine or a scan of it for that day).

74356.jpg

Jack

Another earth cover.

MIS50.jpg

Another beauty!

That conductor shows up on a lot of DC covers during this era. Anyone know who he's based on? A DC staffer? A friend of Gil Kane (or Giella or Giacoia)? Someone in the news at the time? Captain Kangaroo?

Jack

Brave and the Bold starts the switch to team-ups.

BB50.jpg

Before they made the mistake (in my opinion) of changing it to all-Batman-all-the-time. It was more interesting to me when they teamed up anybody, including this pair of second- (third-?) stringers.

When I was very young I used to wonder which one was the brave and which one was the bold.

Jack

First of the Adams Deadman trilogy.

Aquaman50.jpg

Very nice!

An issue -- one of 9 in the whole run -- that's been on my want list for years. Is it scarce, or I just haven't been looking in the right places?

Jack

Jack,

I must have 4 high grade copies of Aquaman 50. Wanna trade for one? he he

c50.jpg

I'm enjoying your oversized books, but this one is really "WOW!"

Is it scarcer than the rest? All reprints or some original work? Wonderful Sheldon Meyer cover -- I really like the floating heads on the left, even though I'm not usually a fan of breaking up the cover like that. I guess it works better when the cover's so big. Winky and Blinky make me chuckle -- are they continuing characters in the Rudolph stories?

Jack

Thought I'd do something fun today for #50. Here's some of my 50's 50's.

We'll start with some romance.

GirlsLove50.jpg

Intentionally crowded cover with knock-out coloring to emphasize the central figures! Was the cover supposed to remind customers of Leonard Starr's popular "On Stage" comic strip? It started about 9 months before the cover date.

I wonder whether this is one of the finest existing copies of this book.

Jack