• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

Giant purple ants. :cloud9:

MGA55.jpg

Awesome run on DC Silver JohnT. I always have a tough time deciding what books to show. I try to pick titles I haven't seen in a couple days or so..or if I just have an outstanding copy. I have beautiful complete runs of Lois and Jimmy's but Silver has a much more overall Higher grade collection than me on those titles. Especially among the first 50 issues of each.

MGA55.jpg

Awesome run on DC Silver JohnT. I always have a tough time deciding what books to show. I try to pick titles I haven't seen in a couple days or so..or if I just have an outstanding copy. I have beautiful complete runs of Lois and Jimmy's but Silver has a much more overall Higher grade collection than me on those titles. Especially among the first 50 issues of each.

I'm starting to run out of books though. I mostly collect 10 centers, so I'm hitting the end on some of these series. Might have to do what you're doing and start digging through my BA stuff!

I'm starting to run out of books though. I mostly collect 10 centers, so I'm hitting the end on some of these series. Might have to do what you're doing and start digging through my BA stuff!

I just shot 50 more 70's DC issues this morning. Will do at least 50 to 100 this evening. Trying to stay on top of the 80's by shooting 5 to 10 issues ahead of each title for the thread. All as I'm freshly rebagging and boarding. Man...I haven't looked at these books in years.

and to finish off my 60's selection..

another of my infamous $1.00 books that should be slabbed....

SC55.jpg

Whoooooo

One of my favorite comic books of the Silver Age -- fabulous cover AND interior art by Murphy Anderson, who put the perfect updated Golden Age finish on everything he touched. Even the (uncredited) coloring is great, with the pink swamp (toxic waste dump really) scenes. The Golden Age characters were still unfamiliar and slightly mysterious to most readers in 1965, so having three of them and a classic Golden Age villain on the cover was a treat. This one has an enormous nostalgia burst for me.

$1 copy? What luck! *check* I have a vg and fn, but nothing like yours. Obviously I'm not a high grade chaser, but this is one I've considered upgrading. Anyone that hasn't read the story, you can find a reprint (a bit) cheaper in The Brave and the Bold 115.

Jack

BB55.jpg

Another utter classic! Why was 55 such a good number for DC, especially their anthology titles?

Another great example of why I wish DC had stuck with their "anybody" team-ups in The Brave and the Bold. This one was great -- I really like Ramona Fradon's & Charles Paris's take on the characters. Having the uranium Metal Man with that Big-U-little-r on his chest cracks me up every time, sort of like Lead's L (duh).

Jack

With Gusto, some # 55 -

Wow, everyone is hitting on all cylinders this morning!

74721.jpg

Wonderfully risqué cover for Archie -- what year? Later 1940s or early 1950s?

74722.jpg

One of the best Cold War Blackhawk covers. In fact, the whole 50s numbers were nicely done.

74725.jpg

Classics abound, and infinity cover to boot!

Real gusto!

Jack

MGA55.jpg

DC could put together a good-sized giant ants anthology. I wonder whether it would sell. "Them" certainly had an impact on comic book writers, probably second only to King Kong as a movie "inspiration".

Sharp copy!

Jack

and to finish off my 60's selection..

another of my infamous $1.00 books that should be slabbed....

SC55.jpg

Whoooooo

One of my favorite comic books of the Silver Age -- fabulous cover AND interior art by Murphy Anderson, who put the perfect updated Golden Age finish on everything he touched. Even the (uncredited) coloring is great, with the pink swamp (toxic waste dump really) scenes. The Golden Age characters were still unfamiliar and slightly mysterious to most readers in 1965, so having three of them and a classic Golden Age villain on the cover was a treat. This one has an enormous nostalgia burst for me.

$1 copy? What luck! *check* I have a vg and fn, but nothing like yours. Obviously I'm not a high grade chaser, but this is one I've considered upgrading. Anyone that hasn't read the story, you can find a reprint (a bit) cheaper in The Brave and the Bold 115.

Jack

And not a damaged beak to be found. ;)

SOLOMON GRUNDY SMASH!

55 - first I apologize for the terrible scan, I'm sure one of the other bronze/modern guys will post this too:

IronMan55.jpg

and then the last issue of one of my favorite reads for a modern - a little silly at times, but fun all around:

YoungJustice55.jpg

till another day.