• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

Sure it's April 1st somewhere....

Day 91, April Fool's day:

Not a 91, but rather one of the few April Fool covers that I've seen.

Admire the artfully reconstructed stripped logo.

BlueBoltV311.jpg

Fantastic Four 91. Nothing special about it -- just a lucky ebay win. Jack Kirby on autopilot, swiping TV show plots instead of coming up with anything original.

ff91.jpg

Classics Illustrated 91. A touch more interesting than the Silas Marner cover, but zzzzzz. I bet this one was mainly bought by parents for their kids, with the occasional last-minute purchase by a kid to write a school book report.

classics91.jpg

The Fox and the Crow 91. This one I like -- purple!

FoxCrow91.jpg

All-American Men of War 91. Another split cover in fair to middlin' condition. There might be a Lichtenstein swipe from this issue but I don't have it recorded.

AAMOW91fc.jpg

Not a cover, but a very funny ad from Whiz Comics 91.

Whiz91-1.jpg

"WOW! That was a close call, Bubbles. I NEED some good old YANKS!"

Don't say that at a cocktail party.

Jack

91...Still only have one scanned...oh well, more starting tomorrow.

91shangchi.jpg

Really not a very interesting cover and a couple of the bodies seem not quite right...

L

I read that FF story recently. Surprised me how dumb it was. Any DC from the same month would have been at least as good a read.

There's stories on the inside? hm

I read that FF story recently. Surprised me how dumb it was. Any DC from the same month would have been at least as good a read.

There's stories on the inside? hm

Say no to slabs :shy:

Classics Illustrated 91. A touch more interesting than the Silas Marner cover, but zzzzzz. I bet this one was mainly bought by parents for their kids, with the occasional last-minute purchase by a kid to write a school book report.

:makepoint: Stop hating on CI.

Start posting your CI collection every day :baiting::wishluck:

I own and post some, don't I? Just showing the ones I happen to have scanned and being realistic about them.

There are some great, appealing CI covers -- and there are some dogs. This one is literally a dog.

I mostly prefer the line-drawn to painted covers, but there are good ones of all kinds.

All the Frankenstein covers, for example. Just about every Classic Comics cover. Westward Ho, Don Quixote, Gulliver's Travels, Alice in Wonderland... some great ones.

Show us some favorites!

Jack

Missed this one by a day......my how the days are slipping by.....seeing your Det pastandpresentcomics made me realise.....

Det90.jpg

Missed this one by a day......my how the days are slipping by.....seeing your Det pastandpresentcomics made me realise.....

Det90.jpg

I never noticed this one -- looks surprisingly like a Gleason/Biro crime cover, doesn't it?

Very nice.

Jack

Yea....small figures....real busy cover....lots of line work......

or did you mean something else hm

What you wrote plus overall composition, people getting beaten up and falling into the water, etc. The whole "feel" of the cover.

Jack