• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is the more desirable comic?

22 posts in this topic

I dont have a scanner that is in working condition - sorry - Best I can do is take some pics with my i-phone. Anyways, I am just trying to get an idea of how bad the pen marks are and how much they affect the overall grade.

Here they are side by side: (I know it looks terrible)

IM000018.jpg

Here is a close up of the red pen:

IM000019.jpg

I would never buy the 9.2 with the writing, so I would say the F copy is more valuable. That kind of writing takes away from all the great qualities of an otherwise high grade copy for me.

I also agree wih PokerKid. Personally, I'd take the non-scribbled on comic.

I would never buy the 9.2 with the writing, so I would say the F copy is more valuable. That kind of writing takes away from all the great qualities of an otherwise high grade copy for me.

I'm with them. I'd rather have the non pen given comparable quality (can't tell too well from the 'scans'). If one bbok was an 8 and the other a 10 but had a big stamp i'd probably take an 8.

I'm with them. I'd rather have the non pen given comparable quality (can't tell too well from the 'scans'). If one bbok was an 8 and the other a 10 but had a big stamp i'd probably take an 8.

I'm with everyone on this the one on the right ^^

I'm with everyone on this the one on the right ^^

thanks guys - here's the other question - I know you can't tell from the 'scans' because they are the best I can do right now. But just take my word that the one on the left is in about 9.0 to 9.2(without pen scribble) and the one on the left is 5.5 to 6.0 when answering this question. What would cgc do with this? grade it high with a qualified grade? or would it get a much lower grade because of the scribbling?

BTW - I agree with you all - I hate the fact that someone scribbled all over one of my comics. The only reason I have this one is because it came with a nice run of ff in the same shape without the scrib.

I have 2 copies of FF73. One is in NM- with one MAJOR defect - red pen ink fillling in the "a"s and "o"s of the title. I also have the same book in Fine shape. Which book do you think is the more valuable copy?

Both garbage . . . :sorry: uh, excuse me . . . I meant "reading" copies :grin:

I don't know that CGC would give it a qualified grade because the problem is an obvious one (most qualifieds I see are interior, back cover or a cover autograph). However, a call to them would be wise if you are considering it. You might get a decent price as a 9.2 qualified, but would not be worth it for a 3.5 blue label.

This reminds me of the Wonder Woman comic that Ewert sold several years ago, where someone had colored in a white dress with purple marker. The book was otherwise in NM shape. Does anyone remember what that book graded out at? I seem to recall that he got a decent grade (like 6.5 or something) and that the book sold pretty well in the CGC holder.

I don't know that CGC would give it a qualified grade because the problem is an obvious one (most qualifieds I see are interior, back cover or a cover autograph). However, a call to them would be wise if you are considering it. You might get a decent price as a 9.2 qualified, but would not be worth it for a 3.5 blue label.

Thanks for addressing my question :) - instead of just wasting time with pointless "your books are garbage" comments. The truth is I don't intend to send it in to cgc - I was just curious about it. I dont usually come across exceptionally nice books that are defaced. Usually those books are pretty beat up to go along with the scribbling. I have about 30 books that I would love to send in to cgc that are way better candidates than this 73. My problem is: I never do it because I end up buying more books and never have money to actually send them in!

thanks guys - here's the other question - I know you can't tell from the 'scans' because they are the best I can do right now. But just take my word that the one on the left is in about 9.0 to 9.2(without pen scribble) and the one on the left is 5.5 to 6.0 when answering this question. What would cgc do with this? grade it high with a qualified grade? or would it get a much lower grade because of the scribbling?

There's no reason why this book would ever get a Qualified label - we're not talking about a printing defect, nor an unverified signature, we're talking about damage to a book that's no different than, say, a dented corner, spine dings or a tear.

Which also means that this book is not a 9.0/9.2, nor should it be referred to as such, seeing that it's actual grade is probably lower than the "Fine" copy.