• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for our legal eagles

3 posts in this topic

One last bit about WATCHING THE WATCHMEN. In the book, Dave Gibbons talks about selling his OA and that the Watchmen covers went in one lot at auction to Gareb Shamus.

He then writes: Actually, one of the original covers had gone missing. It was for issue eleven and almost completely white. My assumption is that it showed as a blank on a quick riffle through a set of discarded boards. Fortunately, I still had an alternate version in pencil that I'd redrawn, so I inked it in and it is this that now hangs beside the others. If anyone has the actual original, you've very lucky, but also party to a felony.

I'm guessing that Gibbons is trying to be dryly humorous. But if this situation did present itself and someone had acquired the true original through legal means, would there be actually be any crime here at all?

I didn't bring this up in the other thread, when the question was about the value of a Watchmen cover, but this cover -- the #11 pencil cover -- sold on ebay in the last couple of years. And went for hardly anything. But, of course, Watchmen covers are worth anywhere from 15 to 50k, right?