• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008/09 GRADING CONTEST : Round 12

100 posts in this topic

Actually, I think this round should be tossed out, as the grade was blurted out in the thread by "he who shall remain unnamed" . . . seriously :)

I disagree. I think the round should be kept as is. I was one of the people who saw the grade posted by "that person" but how were we to know that he was actually right? For all we knew he was just someone blurting out a guess. Is he the actual recipient/owner of the comic? Would he have already known the grade if this is the case? And why didn't everyone who saw that post then guess 9.0 (maybe they did)?

Personally, even though I did see that post, I was debating between 8.5 and 9.0. I'm obviously glad that I did ultimately guess 9.0, but that blurted out guess really had nothing to do with my decision.

:applause:

Actually, I think this round should be tossed out, as the grade was blurted out in the thread by "he who shall remain unnamed" . . . seriously :)

Why? It is not like S. Borock posted the grade in the thread so everyone knew the right answer (which would be a facially neutral event anyway). This book was clearly a close call between 8.5 and 9.0 and the 9.0 turned out to be the right call. Besides, the call to throw out the round would have had more gravity before the grade was announced in that nobody would know if they got it right or not. Same thing happened last year and the round stood.

(thumbs u

Why? It is not like S. Borock posted the grade in the thread so everyone knew the right answer (which would be a facially neutral event anyway). This book was clearly a close call between 8.5 and 9.0 and the 9.0 turned out to be the right call. Besides, the call to throw out the round would have had more gravity before the grade was announced in that nobody would know if they got it right or not. Same thing happened last year and the round stood.

(thumbs u

No way I had my grade in before the post was up and I actually got this one right.

:acclaim:

Do you see the color breaking crease on the top right corner front cover???... :baiting:

Yes I do, and that is there. Trying to figure out just exactly what PF is seeing but I can't.

You sound like my wife.... lol

Nik, I appreciate your trying. There is no tear 1" above the LLC on the back cover (on either book)?

FYI, here is the phantom tear that led me to hammer the grade. Without this, I probably would have called the book an 8.5.....so I still would have been wrong, but darn it, I would've been closer. ;)

70477.jpg.3b305f0903c0523760c3e37587bcdba5.jpg

Do you see the color breaking crease on the top right corner front cover???... :baiting:

Yes I do, and that is there. Trying to figure out just exactly what PF is seeing but I can't.

Nik, I appreciate your trying. There is no tear 1" above the LLC on the back cover (on either book)?

FYI, here is the phantom tear that led me to hammer the grade. Without this, I probably would have called the book an 8.5.....so I still would have been wrong, but darn it, I would've been closer. ;)

Phantom tear :roflmao:

(thumbs u

Of course no one who got the grade would want the round tossed out :insane: But look at the numbers . . . it was the easiest round to date :sumo: The truth is, it wasn't, you're all just a bunch of lemmings lol

-d

:gossip: I don't post to be popular . . . I got over that in HS :banana: I post to say things that are actually valid.

Looks more like dirt, or a phantom crease hm but certainly not a phantom tear . . . ;)

(thumbs u

Of course no one who got the grade would want the round tossed out :insane: But look at the numbers . . . it was the easiest round to date :sumo: The truth is, it wasn't, you're all just a bunch of lemmings lol

-d

:gossip: I don't post to be popular . . . I got over that in HS :banana: I post to say things that are actually valid.

Right. It is "actually valid" to throw out the round when you missed the grade. lol

But, seriously, if you think the round should be tossed, why didn't you call for it during the two day grading period when nobody knew if they were right or wrong?

(thumbs u

-d

Right. It is "actually valid" to throw out the round when you missed the grade. lol

But, seriously, if you think the round should be tossed, why didn't you call for it during the two day grading period when nobody knew if they were right or wrong?

:gossip: I didn't miss the grade, I just couldn't stomach being a lemming about it. :grin:

No dif . . . I did lead the charge to getting the thread amended though (albeit waaay too late) ;)

I never saw the post that mentioned the grade as 9.0 It was a close call. Either a 8.5 or a 9.0 I went with the lower grade because of the FC URC.... Almost went 9.0 but I tend to under grade a bit... I say the round stands as is. Excellent contest BTW Nik....

Now the litany of "I didn't even see its" lol:baiting:

I never saw the post that mentioned the grade as 9.0 It was a close call. Either a 8.5 or a 9.0 I went with the lower grade because of the FC URC.... Almost went 9.0 but I tend to under grade a bit... I say the round stands as is. Excellent contest BTW Nik....

What a coincidence, neither did I.... :P

Andy

I am going with I submitted my grade before his post.... (thumbs u

I saw it and I ignored it and I've got the -1 to prove it! :sumo:

ayuh :(

ayuh :(

What are you trying to say? (:

This is the response I got from nik after submitting my grade:

:cry: :cry: :tonofbricks: :tonofbricks:

I'll have to join the ranks of those who missed the post with the grade. Never saw it and wouldn't have based my grade on it any way.

I saw it, but I ignored it because I thought he was being oblivious to the rules and posting his own guess in the thread.