• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Phantom Lady 17

24 posts in this topic

Given the other wear on the book it looks around a 5.0 without the tear. So how much would you deduct? I agree 3.0 is to harsh - 3.5 was my pick - but I'd go 4.0 before 3.0 - regardless, eye-appeal trumps in this grade range (unless a book is brittle) - and I would take this copy over many a 4.0 blue label for the same money. I don't think I'm alone - which is why I'd leave the book raw - even for resale - after all a book isn't actually a PLOD until it's slabbed.

I agree. Assuming PQ is ok I would tend to a 4.0 more than a 3.0. But I also agree this is a better raw than slab candidate, due to the variables introduced by the tear and the spot of glue and the fact it is a classic GA book. Its a crapshoot as far as a CGC grade goes.

Oh - I edited my initial post. The MM 13 I had was a 5.0, not 5.5. All these years and I still cannot get my head around the numeric grades.

I'd love for you to be right :wishluck: Thanks for the info on your tear. This is what I am fearing will keep it down. I'd be really surprised if it came back a 3.0.

Superb eye appeal - but a tear that big would probably keep it under 4.0. I'd leave the chip unless you were going to slab it. Personally - I'd leave the book raw.

I doubt it. I had a Mister Mystery 13 graded Universal 5.5 - sorry - make that 5.0 - that had a tear in the back cover about 3/4" and in the middle of the spine a "spiderweb tear" that branched out well over 1/2" in three directions.

The glue may be small enough to pass the GA barrier. But forget about the bit of glue. Yes, there is a largish tear. But 3.0? I think that just does not hack it. The cover of this book with its attendant spine creases etc was pretty damned close to my 5.5 that had the two sets of tears. The book, at least form the sacn, has a rahter nice midgrade spine and a good lack of typical GA defects from a book that has obviously been read and handled. Where is this 3.0 coming from?

I don't think it would have gone much cheaper. There were a couple others that were close, it looks like. I thought I got a pretty good deal. I wasn't in the market to pay a premium on the book. It has really nice PQ.

Joan, I'm sorry. I bid you up on that book.

:eek: