• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for sellers - What Is The Point Of Feedback. Am I a jerk ???

74 posts in this topic

To answer your initial inquiry "What Is The Point Of Feedback...", IMO, there is no practical point to anyone "seasoned". It is "smoke and mirrors" for the benefit of newbies. Once you get tired of the feedback game, you'll realize that placating both buyers and sellers without losing ground is the ULTIMATE goal of every transaction smile.gif

You sound like a good seller and I take your points. But don't you feel that on an open service, there is some duty to inform future customers in a truthful manner as to how your particular dealing went ?

Ignoring the negative, my actual feedback about the guy wasn't abusive. 'Slightly overgraded', 'bad/expensive packaging'. In an ideal world, I'd liked to have posted scans of the book and a photo of the mailer it came in, but sensibly e-bay confines me to 80 words.

Me to, I'm a Dealer with a day job.

Well keep working at it, maybe one day you can be just like Jaster! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Where do you think the politics are tougher...in a big company like Verizon or as a vintage comic book dealer? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You should have contacted them.

If the price of the book is at least $50 or so, what I do is respond to the seller with a complete list of defects and references to pages in the Overstreet Grading Guide as to why the book is far from the grade advertised. Usually that's as far as it goes, but if they just ignore the grading justification and start hemming and hawing with no justification of their own and refuse a return, that's when I neg them. I'd love to debate grading with them, but so far, I haven't bought from a seller who did anything besides simply accept the return or just blindly deny the overgrading.

If the seller will take a return, I usually leave positive feedback with a note about the problem. If they won't split the shipping, I either neutral or neg them; it's not my fault they overgraded so I shouldn't be stuck with shipping both ways.

You say the comic you received was in VF+ and it was advertised VF/NM. That is not much of a difference to just neg the guy without saying something to him I think. He also lowered the price of shipping when you asked him. He seems pretty reasonable. He probably did not profiteer much if anything from it because a envelope costs money to.

You say the comic you received was in VF+ and it was advertised VF/NM.

Whoa, I didn't notice that the grades were so close because of all the weird HTML formatting problems related to copying and pasting...if you buy a raw book from a dealing collector on E-Bay, always assume it's at least 2 notches off. You should've contacted the seller, but just learn to underbid by 2 grading scale notches next time.

But don't you feel that on an open service, there is some duty to inform future customers in a truthful manner as to how your particular dealing went?

There defintiely needs to be one, but the ebay feedback system as it stands is not the ideal vehicle. I think comic related Forums like this one and the eBay comics forum provide a broader scope on all sellers; much more than what 80 characters of feedback can convey, no mater how terse and concise a writer you are. As a buyer, I have always adhered to the "live and learn" motto...it's no secret that I have found sellers who are often bad mouthed on here to be perfectly satisfactory to deal with. there are others also who I've learned that its best to stay away from, but that is still something that I left up to myself to decide. It is the whole picture that I need rather than a brief comment in red, before I close off that potential source.

I no longer believe this "truth in seller reporting" service should be provided at my expense nor should it jeopardize my potential gain in connections, sources, etc.

Only 2? As in 9.0 when advertised as 9.2, or 7.0 when graded as 9.0?

Here's the Overstreet/CGC grading scale down to Fine:

10.0 Mint

9.9 Mint

9.8 Near Mint/Mint

9.6 Near Mint +

9.4 Near Mint

9.2 Near Mint -

9.0 Very Fine/Near Mint

8.5 Very Fine +

8.0 Very Fine

7.5 Very Fine -

7.0 Fine/Very Fine

6.5 Fine +

6.0 Fine

Very Fine 8.0 is two notches down from VF/NM 9.0. Our 10-point grading scale is really a 25-point grading scale that I assume was kept at 10 notches to allow us to use fractional numbers with as much precision as the grading standards eventually allow for.

10.0 Mint

9.9 Mint

9.8 Near Mint/Mint

9.6 Near Mint +

9.4 Near Mint

9.2 Near Mint -

9.0 Very Fine/Near Mint

8.5 Very Fine +

8.0 Very Fine

7.5 Very Fine -

7.0 Fine/Very Fine

6.5 Fine +

6.0 Fine

Very Fine 8.0 is two notches down from VF/NM 9.0. In reality, our 10-point grading scale is really a 25-point grading scale that I assume was kept at 10 notches to allow us to use fractional numbers with as much precision as the grading standards eventually allow for.

Yeah, that's what I expected you to say....

I guess I'm more paranoid than that and expect a 5-notch differential... which is why I don't buy many books.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I guess I'm more paranoid than that and expect a 5-notch differential... which is why I don't buy many books.

I rarely buy raw thru e-bay from dealing collectors for exactly the same reason...most raw I buy on ebay is when a dealer lists raw.

10.0 Mint

9.9 Mint

9.8 Near Mint/Mint

9.6 Near Mint +

9.4 Near Mint

9.2 Near Mint -

9.0 Very Fine/Near Mint

8.5 Very Fine +

8.0 Very Fine

7.5 Very Fine -

7.0 Fine/Very Fine

6.5 Fine +

6.0 Fine

Very Fine 8.0 is two notches down from VF/NM 9.0. Our 10-point grading scale is really a 25-point grading scale that I assume was kept at 10 notches to allow us to use fractional numbers with as much precision as the grading standards eventually allow for.

Here is the CGC scale:

893frustrated.gif

You say he graded them VF/NM and they were "only" VF+, and you said the shipping was too high, but he lowered it for you.

If the packaging was shoddy, but the books didn't get damaged, I would have either left him no feedback, or would have left him neutral feedback. The whole transaction doesn't seem to warrant a negative feedback (IMO).

You say the comic you received was in VF+ and it was advertised VF/NM. That is not much of a difference to just neg the guy without saying something to him I think. He also lowered the price of shipping when you asked him. He seems pretty reasonable. He probably did not profiteer much if anything from it because a envelope costs money to.

I said it was VF/+. Ie: maybe it was VF, maybe it was VF+. Close. There is a fairly different value between VF and VF/NM on a reasonably demanded late SA book.

I said it was VF/+. Ie: maybe it was VF, maybe it was VF+. Close. There is a fairly different value between VF and VF/NM on a reasonably demanded late SA book.

Yea, but you can't neg someone over such a tiny difference. We all submit books to CGC and I'd say 30% of the time the grades we receive are at least .2 off of their grade. I've had some I graded a 9.2 that come back a 9.6, and there's a few I graded 9.4 that came back an 8.5.

You say the comic you received was in VF+ and it was advertised VF/NM.

Whoa, I didn't notice that the grades were so close because of all the weird HTML formatting problems related to copying and pasting...if you buy a raw book from a dealing collector on E-Bay, always assume it's at least 2 notches off. You should've contacted the seller, but just learn to underbid by 2 grading scale notches next time.

Why ? I collect certain older DC's in around VGish grade. On them I don't care if it's out a bit. I collect other stuff in 9.0 minimum. I don't want an 8.0 or an 8.5 of a book I've seen 300 copies and read in a dozen forms in the last 25 years. My desire for a VF/NM might be churlish, but it's what a guy with a profile showing 1300 was offerring and if everybody else who'd got VF's instead of VF/NM's had told me so, I could have avoided his auctions in the first place.

That's my point. Nobody did tell me, unless I really am the first. I have however enshrined it for posterity and for future buyers to act on or ignore as they see fit.

Yea, but you can't neg someone over such a tiny difference. We all submit books to CGC and I'd say 30% of the time the grades we receive are at least .2 off of their grade. I've had some I graded a 9.2 that come back a 9.6, and there's a few I graded 9.4 that came back an 8.5.

I bet they are the extremes though. For the most part I'd fancy people get stuff back within one grading point and that nearly always they think things are higher than they are. There's a fair difference in Overstreet on their listing for VF/NM and VF. The first line on 9.0 starts "Nearly perfect with outstanding eye appeal." That's what I collect, nearly perfect. The first line on 8.0 starts "An excellent copy with oustanding eye appeal." Excellent is not what I want. As I say, churlish maybe, but it's just not what I want.