• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comic Con January 24-25

29 posts in this topic

So here's what our booth looked like this morning. We had about 8 linear feet of boxes on the table and the rest of the space was covered with slabs and higher dollar books.

Photo_012509_001.jpg

If it weren't for Buddy buying up stuff the show would have been a total bust for most people. For those of us who do this as a hobby I'm happy with the money I made on top of the Buddy Bucks. However, I heard from several folks who didn't sell much at all... even the cheap stuff.

But just to put things in perspective there really wasn't much in the way of quality books there. Of the 25 or so comic dealers (with comic as their main thing) most were selling $1 boxes and 3 $1. Almost everyone who had boxes on tables had them at 50% off. But it was the same guys who set up at this show with the same overpriced stuff (at 50%) and a bunch of waaaay overpriced mid-grade stuff on their wall.

From what I saw the best concentration of books in the room were the 16' we had and the 8' right next to me occupied by Ben Samuels (Matt Nelson's former employee). The stuff we had was new stock for the most part and it was priced well. Ben had some really nice slabbed Gold, Sliver and Bronze with some other nice raw book. Aside from that you really had to look to find anything of quality to spend money on.

Out of the $10k in wall books I brought I sold only 1 book... for $200. A lot were looked at but only by other dealers who were all going to "come by" after they made some money. I said something out loud about not selling a single slab and Ben popped up. He said he only sold 2... and was glad to hear it wasn't just him.

So even though we did well I don't think the show was a success from a retailers standpoint. Dealers are going to have to start bringing quality books and letting people know what to expect. The show is going to have to start doing something to draw in people who want to spend real money and let the dealers know they will be there. It's a catch 22 at this point.

That sounds about par for course, Jeff. Every show of Ben's I've been to has had pretty much the same dealers with the same stock, most being the cheap books. Knowing that, I would probably bring mostly modern runs I'd like to get rid of.

What was the crowd like this time? Most of the time that dealer room is elbow to elbow until late in the afternoon.

Not this time. There were times where we were really busy but, for the most part, things were just steady... not too crowded. However, Don and I were pretty lucky because we were set up next to someone selling jewelry on one side and a guy selling frames autographs across from us. That meant we never had any overlap from another dealer crowding out space.

Don't forget Jeff I sold two slabbed magazines that would have been GPA records if recorded. Plus that chipped slab of that State fair book would be a record too :)

Oh it's safe to mention that we had a LOT of interest in the X-men 1's just not enough money in peoples pockets I guess.

I SAW YOUR BOOTH!!!

I wish I would have had the presence of mind to introduce myself as I knew ahead of time that you guys were set up. I picked up an ASM on Saturday. It had the Marvel Value Stamp cut out of it, so I got it at half price for a quarter. I got some Alaska quarters as change, but I had to use them on a toll road home, we came back the next day to get some more. Thanks for going out to your truck for a new roll of quarters, by the way. You made my girlfriend's day.

You guys DID look pretty cleaned out on Sunday. I thought you may have just started packing up already. Glad to hear that you sold all that stuff.

I didn't buy much...sorry, but I'm saving for NYCC in two weeks! Otherwise, I probably would have picked up your Journey Into Mystery 83. And your X-men #1's did look nice!

-Adam

I SAW YOUR BOOTH!!!

I wish I would have had the presence of mind to introduce myself as I knew ahead of time that you guys were set up. I picked up an ASM on Saturday. It had the Marvel Value Stamp cut out of it, so I got it at half price for a quarter. I got some Alaska quarters as change, but I had to use them on a toll road home, we came back the next day to get some more. Thanks for going out to your truck for a new roll of quarters, by the way. You made my girlfriend's day.

You guys DID look pretty cleaned out on Sunday. I thought you may have just started packing up already. Glad to hear that you sold all that stuff.

I didn't buy much...sorry, but I'm saving for NYCC in two weeks! Otherwise, I probably would have picked up your Journey Into Mystery 83. And your X-men #1's did look nice!

-Adam

So that was you. Hope you like that ASM 136. I was really disappointed when I found the MVS cut out. BTW, I still have a whole roll of Alaska quarters.

So when you're done in NY you'll have to buy my books.... no exception!

Don't forget Jeff I sold two slabbed magazines that would have been GPA records if recorded. Plus that chipped slab of that State fair book would be a record too :)

Oh it's safe to mention that we had a LOT of interest in the X-men 1's just not enough money in peoples pockets I guess.

That's true but aside from the State Fair book the other slabs sold to a dealer. There were only a small handful of people who where even looking at anything over $20.

So that was you. Hope you like that ASM 136. I was really disappointed when I found the MVS cut out. BTW, I still have a whole roll of Alaska quarters.

So when you're done in NY you'll have to buy my books.... no exception!

Hey hey, MVS or not, if I can get them all for a quarter each, then :takeit: