• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to mass consolidate?

6 posts in this topic

I have a group of about 7-8,000 books that I am trying to par down to about 500. They simply take up too much space and are not titles in which I am interested. Most of these are common modern age books that would not fetch much on Ebay. Given that, I think I am going to trade them en masse to a dealer. Right now I'm considering mycomicshop.com as my trading partner. Has anyone done something like this before? Is mycomicshop.com the best site for this sort of thing? Is their grading accurate? Any suggestions on the best way to go about this would be appreciated.

I have a group of about 7-8,000 books that I am trying to par down to about 500. They simply take up too much space and are not titles in which I am interested. Most of these are common modern age books that would not fetch much on Ebay. Given that, I think I am going to trade them en masse to a dealer. Right now I'm considering mycomicshop.com as my trading partner. Has anyone done something like this before? Is mycomicshop.com the best site for this sort of thing? Is their grading accurate? Any suggestions on the best way to go about this would be appreciated.

Yes I have! I traded about 3300 comics to Graham Cracker Comics for a restored Superman #1 in October. Cleared out many longboxes that way. Now I'm left with the comics I want to keep.

I think it will always be hard to unload large quantities of items for smaller quantities. You will probably end up taking a bit of a loss on the actual value of the stuff. I know I did, but it didn't bother me. I was going to sell them all on ebay if possible and that was going to take a long time and be a big pain.

So if you're willing to sacrifice some money, you can probably make a nice deal with a major dealer in your area (or at a local con). I think it's harder to do on ebay or another website.

That's not a bad idea. My cost basis on the group is pretty low so I'm not too concerned about losing money. I am giving mycomicshop.com a test run. So far I sent them a trade offer of 68 books which cost me $8.50 total. They are offering $117 in cash or $217 in trade for them. So far, so good.

That's not a bad idea. My cost basis on the group is pretty low so I'm not too concerned about losing money. I am giving mycomicshop.com a test run. So far I sent them a trade offer of 68 books which cost me $8.50 total. They are offering $117 in cash or $217 in trade for them. So far, so good.

If you can get that return on all of them, then go for it. I'd do the trade and pick up some high grade stuff from them.

But cash is nice too! Good luck!

Living in the Dallas area, where MyComicsShop (which is actually Lone Star Comics) is based, I can say they do an incredibly fine job of grading books although the prices can sometimes be a little high on certain titles from time to time. They are also grade A comic people to work with. I've used them to buy comics online at fair and reasonable prices, and at the stores. The only time I had any problem with them was through an online order of a book that was shown as NM, and when received ended up having a nice discoloration near the top of the title. When I let them know about the problem, they were very fast to fix me up and even gave me an extra 5$ credit for the trouble.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I've never used them to sell my comics to, but I can assure you that they are a top grade class of people. Just don't fail to remember that this is a business, so you would probably be offered 30-40% of overstreet value for your collection.

Thats my two cents !

I'm glad to hear that they are solid citizens. The nice thing about these books is that I don't really consider them part of "my collection." They were part of a larger group of about 12,000 that I purchased a while back. I picked through it to see what I wanted to keep, and this is what's left over. While Lone Star isn't offering spectacular prices, so far they have been fine for me since my costs were only 12.5 cents per book.