• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know who has this Detective Cover?

27 posts in this topic

Norm Breyfogle is totally underrated as a Batman artist. Along with Adams and Rogers, he's one of my favorite regular Batman pencillers.

I couldn't agree more. I really love his work, but it is real hard to find primo stuff by him. In my ten years of serious looking, I have only found two that I bought. Hopefully in a week I will post something incredible by him. :wishluck:

I have to develop my eye. I thought that was a K. Jones cover.

Kelley and Norm are similar in their style... but I feel like KJ goes further with the gothic look than Norm does. Actually, part of what makes Norm Breyfogle so appealing to me is that he shares a similar style to Kelley.

Kelley and Norm are similar in their style... but I feel like KJ goes further with the gothic look than Norm does. Actually, part of what makes Norm Breyfogle so appealing to me is that he shares a similar style to Kelley.

The cape is somewhat KJ-ish. However, you can really tell the Kelley didn't draw the Batman. The anatomy is too normal.

The cape is somewhat KJ-ish. However, you can really tell the Kelley didn't draw the Batman. The anatomy is too normal.

^^ I have passed on a lot of Kelly's stuff because I don't like how unrealistic it is.

I have no idea why Breyfogle is no longer working for DC, but I think his run on Batman and Detective is second only to the Neal Adams issues and maybe the brief McFarlane run. I am not a fan of all the more recent artist that have worked on the Batman titles, so I would love to see Breyfogle come back.

^^ I have passed on a lot of Kelly's stuff because I don't like how unrealistic it is.

Kelley certainly has a unique style. It's as unique as Kirby's was!! I consider myself the largest collector of KJ artwork, outside of Kelley himself (since he doesn't sell any of it). I personally love the fact that his style isn't "normal" and is easy to identify.

Here's a couple that show his style.

Batman539-17.jpg

Batman544-5.jpg

CrimsonMist65.jpg

RedRain74.jpg

75.jpg

RedRain6.jpg

Swampthing94-8.jpg

Norm blew out the bulk of his Batman/Detective work at shows when he was drawing the book. I don't think he has much left.

You are correct. I exchanged email with him a few years back and most of his best stuff was sold at conventions he attended so it is spread throught the world.