• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the one comic that turned your collection around?

66 posts in this topic

Ever get a copy of Tales of the Teen Titans 44 with the 1st Nightwing? That is a gorgeous black cover, and when I saw two copies in CGC 9.6 for a great price, trust me - they were gone before you could say HOLY TOLEDO BATMAN!

Plus I am a nut over Deathstroke, so with both being on the cover and again a major story arc (Judas Contract), those books had targets all over them.

I don't have the individual issues but I love that cover. I'll collect CGC when I can figure out how to read them through the hard case :whistle:

ASM #1. I bought it from a guy with a drug problem for $100 about 5 years ago.

Two days later he wanted it back. Needless to say that didn't happen.

On secont thought, that was rude of me to ask.

You have to ask me now, I'm too curious. If you don't want to ask on the forum shoot me a PM.

For me, the turning point was acquiring my Batman 1. Once I had this book in hand I knew I could finish the entire run. Given what has happened with prices lately, I don't think I could repeat the effort again.

batman1.jpg

(worship)

For me, the turning point was acquiring my Batman 1. Once I had this book in hand I knew I could finish the entire run. Given what has happened with prices lately, I don't think I could repeat the effort again.

batman1.jpg

When did you pick this up? Needless to say, I'm really very in awe of it. BTW thread over.

:jokealert:

batman1.jpg

When did you pick this up? Needless to say, I'm really very in awe of it. BTW thread over.

Don't think anyone can trump that! Nice book and I am curious when you got it too. A few people at my LCS had a discussion about how lucky collectors where only two decades ago. That prices were cheaper and it was easier to amast a great collection than it is now. Share your story, please.

Ever get a copy of Tales of the Teen Titans 44 with the 1st Nightwing? That is a gorgeous black cover, and when I saw two copies in CGC 9.6 for a great price, trust me - they were gone before you could say HOLY TOLEDO BATMAN!

Plus I am a nut over Deathstroke, so with both being on the cover and again a major story arc (Judas Contract), those books had targets all over them.

I don't have the individual issues but I love that cover. I'll collect CGC when I can figure out how to read them through the hard case :whistle:

Actually, since we all have different collecting goals, mine is putting away graded copies for my sons to give to them later in life, and enclosing a reader copy in the bag so they know what the story is like. That's how you read a CGC-encased book, if that helps any.

Actually, since we all have different collecting goals, mine is putting away graded copies for my sons to give to them later in life, and enclosing a reader copy in the bag so they know what the story is like. That's how you read a CGC-encased book, if that helps any.

When I started collecting CGC books, my personal rule was that I wouldn't own a slabbed book if I didn't have a reader of some kind. Obviously I wouldn't buy two copies of say.....AF #15 just so I could read it, I have it in various reprints.

That rule has since gone out the window....... :(

lol

Totally understand MEDIC when we start getting those big books in our collection that even a FAIR or GOOD would be expensive to purchase.

So if you can afford both the graded book for long-term storage AND a beater for reading, problem solved.

batman1.jpg

Don't think anyone can trump that! Nice book and I am curious when you got it too. A few people at my LCS had a discussion about how lucky collectors where only two decades ago. That prices were cheaper and it was easier to amast a great collection than it is now. Share your story, please.

I bought it in 1999. It was auctioned on Ebay several times with no takers until I bought it off CLINK. The price was just over $6k. I actually bought all but about 20 of my Batman's before year 2000. I did take a run at the Detectives, but that is an impossible run to finish at the current prices. I also feel sorry for anyone trying to put together a decent mid-grade run of just about any long running title. And forget about a high grade run. That said, I admire people that pursue completing runs.

Puma never received the attention that character deserved. Great book recommendations!!

I always enjoyed the character, but you're right--not one that took off. I've seen some recent representations of him, and they look awful--right on par with a werewolf. meh

Now what if we changed this over to "the one that got away." I bet there are some extremely interesting stories from that perspective. Unless it may be too painful for some, which I get that as well.

You okay with that nocutename? It's your topic, so I don't want to hijake it. There's already a chat going on like that about the fellow that may have crashed the boards, and I want no part of that heat.

Fantastic Four #78 made me Silver Age collector with its wild Jack Kirby Art and Stan Lee story.

Uncle Scrooge Goes to Disneyland made me want Golden Age books. hm that reminds me I need more Ducks.

I was collecting GA books in 2001 and stopped at a buddy's shop to trade.For some reason I grabbed an FF 14 & 20 in solid VG for about 20 bucks each.I thought I had "outgrown" the FF ,but these two really reminded me of where I came from. It was while putting together a VG run of 1-35 ( because of those two) that I discovered CGC books at a convention....an FF 73 in CGC 8.0 that was way nicer than the books I'd been getting through the mail for VF's....so I pulled the trigger on a 9.0 CGC FF 20 on eBAY.I was hopeless from then on....and decided to get a few books I really loved in nice CGC high grade....and left runs behind. I can really relate to your fondness for FF 78....it was the second FF that I purchased off the stands with my own money, FF 75 was the first.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My focus turned after I picked up Incredible Herc at my LCS. Greg Pak has done such an amazing job revamping the character that I had to start owning every Hercules appearance. So now I have probably the best Hercules collection in the world. From later JIMs & SA Avengers to BA Thors & Champions. It's become an obsession but to each his own.